View Poll Results: would you go to the ER for a non emergency?
yes, I would do anything for my kid 12 10.17%
no, ER's are for emergencies 84 71.19%
other, because there should always be an other 22 18.64%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #21
tusheez
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: would you take your kid to the ER knowing it's not an emergency

Put her in the tub or sink. I would rinse her bottom with warm water. Use a little bit of cetaphil soap after she poops. Rinse really good air dry or pat dry. Dont wipe or rub though. I would put a "pampers dry" diaper on her. Maybe you should stop using everything until you can get her to the pedi. If you feel that she needs to see a Dr. then take her.

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #22
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our previous dr had "after hours", so we never had to go to the er for anything. But our current dr opens at 9 or 10 am (depending on the day) and closes at 4 or 5pm. They have no weekend or after hour care. So if something pops up and I know its going to be several days before the dr can be seen, we will go to the er. For instance, dd got a very aggressive rash (scabs and oozing) from her chin to her nose. Friday it was nothing but a little scab like thing on her chin ( I thought she had a cold sore), but Saturday morning it was BAD. It was hurting her, oozing, scabbing, and I knew we wouldn't be able to get to the dr until at least Monday afternoon. So, I took her to the er Saturday morning. It got so bad so fast, that I worried what it would do if we waited. No, she wasn't going to die if I didn't take her in, so really...not an emergency. But I would take her in again if that situation or something similar arose.

Last edited by ThreadsThatBind; 05-28-2011 at 09:12 PM.
ThreadsThatBind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #23
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nada87 View Post
that's what I'm thinking--its not a real emergency so I shouldn't take her but I want to cry everytime I change her diaper. I don't think there are any urgent care centers near me, I think the closest one is close to an hour away. I'm training to be a medical assistant so I know that healthcare gets abused all of the time and want to avoid it at all costs but she's my baby. we just started the current treatment for her rash yesterday but this is the worst its been, i'm worried the cream they prescribed is just making it worse.
If she is really uncomfortable and upset, and you don't have urgent care and your dr office won't do anything over the phone, then yes, I'd try the ER. I try to avoid that place like the plague, but id hate to see her in pain for several days.

Blame the typos on the iPad!
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #24
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd personally call your ped's after hours number and ask them. Riley Butt Cream is amazing, but you need a script.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #25
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would call the doctor's office first... our doctor's office message gives an on-call nurse's number for overnight/weekend hours. They call back within an hour and can tell you whether you need to go to the emergency room or not.

You said you have tried different rash creams. Have you tried different diapers or bath products? Have you changed your LO's diet? I hope this gets better soon!

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #26
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Poor thing. We fought yeast with my first, and are right now with my second. We had to do Lotrimin Ultra (yes, the foot fungus cream, lol) 3-4 times a day, yogurt, probiotics, tons of naked time... yeast seriously sucks. I'm sorry you're lo is hurting. Is there any chance it's staph and not yeast? I would ask just in case, but yeast is horrid enough on it's own.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #27
nada87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

never thought about staph, we've tried everything. we go to a group practice so we see more than one dr. i never realised how annoying it is until now, i have to explain what we've already tried almost everytime we go in. her rash looked a little better at the last diaper change so i will hold off for now. i know there is nothing they can do but its the mama bear in me wanting to take her.

I FOUND MY RAINBOW, NOW I AM CHASING MY POT OF GOLD
nada87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #28
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
My son is highly allergic to TTO so maybe cut that out?

I wouldnt go to the ER for it. Put some towels on the bed/crib and go diaper free. Try just using the ointment from the doc with no additives after a lukewarm bath with no soap. I would also give a dose of motrin for pain.

Hth!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #29
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also, I would try a warm (NOT HOT) hair dryer. Keeping the area super dry helps, and sometimes the warm air is soothing.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #30
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted "other" because I would take my child to an urgent care. But then I read that you don't have one near you. In your case, yes, I'd take her to the ER. I don't think it's abuse of the system if this is something you've been dealing with for long, and if you think they have something to help.

For what it's worth. I remember a while ago, a mama on here had a baby with a diaper rash that was starting to blister. When she called her doc's office, they told her to go to the ER. When she told the Pediatrician's nurse that she would just come in in the morning, the nurse threatened to call CPS for child neglect!

So, if a nurse would call CPS over a bad diaper rash, there's you're rationalization for getting your precious little one to the ER to get her some comfort!

So sorry you're dealing with this.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote