View Poll Results: would you go to the ER for a non emergency?
yes, I would do anything for my kid 12 10.17%
no, ER's are for emergencies 84 71.19%
other, because there should always be an other 22 18.64%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #41
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:
That's what urgent cares are for. I've never taken my daughter to an ER without consulting her physician beforehand.

Advertisement

MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #42
pfamilygal6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: would you take your kid to the ER knowing it's not an emergency

I'm an ER nurse. People bring kids into the ER all the time for diaper rash. (And much stupider things). No biggie. But, you will be treated as very non-urgent and may have to wait a long time.
pfamilygal6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #43
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would not take kid in for a diaper rash. Even without our shortage of dr's & 8-9hour waits for urgent needs I would not take in a kid for a diaper rash.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #44
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our insurance works that you pay 100% of everything until you meet our high dedutable. So while I would want my dc to be comfortable I'm not sure its worth $500-$1000. My kids also need clothing, food, shelter...and I dont' have $1000 to spend on something that should be under $100.

Also, I would be taking up time from possible other emergencies. We would have to wait forever since it is not an emergency. And, you don't get good care in er's, traditionally. Their goal is to keep you alive, not usually so good at customer service. Although, the two times Brady had to be admitted to the hospital through the er they were very good to us, but he was very sick at those times so we got lots of attention.

Your doc should have someone on call that could call in a medicine. I'm not a big fan of quick care clinics either, at least the ones around here, but they should be able to handle this. If you have copays your insurance would treat it like a doctor visit so you would only have to pay the copay even though the visit itself is twice as much as a doctor.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #45
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How is her tush today?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #46
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't go for what you are considering going for but we have gone for something that wasn't a super duper emergency...DD stuck a bead in her ear and really that was the only way to get it out. I don't consider it an emergency at all but what other choice did I have? Doc got it out really quick though!
Old 05-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #47
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Does your dr have dr on call when the office is closed? Maybe they could call something in for you?

But to answer the question, yes I have gone to the ER for various things. We do not have urgent care here (I see people talk about it online but we have nothing like that) so after 5 pm, you have 2 choices, you can wait for your drs office to open tomorrow or the next business day or go to the ER.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #48
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nope. There are people in there sick with God knows what not to mention ERs are already packed as it is and I know firsthand what it's like to wait forever in there with something serious going on.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #49
ajanele
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No way. We only go to the ER if there's excessive bleeding, something's broken or someone's not breathing. I would visit urgent care before the ER if I needed to get to a doctor & our office was closed. Sorry your LO is dealing with this!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #50
nada87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Peanuts tush is looking so much better today. It still is worse than it has ever been but now most of it is very pick rather then bright red. She does have a few raw spots that I am keeping my eye on. Our copay is $150 for er visits so while its crazy expensive it wouldn't break the bank (thanks fto the emergency fund). Today I realise that I was kinda over reacting last night so I'm glad I didn't go.
Thanks for all the suggestions, we actually don't use cloth right now (well for the last 5 months actually) so its not because I haven't been killing it in the diapers. I haven't been using TTO constantly I just threw that back in because it seemed to get the best results.
We actually see a GP not a pedi and they don't usually call back if you call the after hours number. I'm planning to switch drs but we are planning to move out of state this year (spring next year at the latest) so I was hoping to avoid that hassle until then.

I FOUND MY RAINBOW, NOW I AM CHASING MY POT OF GOLD
nada87 is offline   Reply With Quote