View Poll Results: would you go to the ER for a non emergency?
yes, I would do anything for my kid 12 10.17%
no, ER's are for emergencies 84 71.19%
other, because there should always be an other 22 18.64%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #51
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: would you take your kid to the ER knowing it's not an emergency

I do not take my kids to the ER unless I believe it is truly emergent. Lots of people do however, which is part of the reason that the wait at the ER is so long. I avoid bringing my kids into the hospital, especially the ER. It's a great place to go to get sick.

You said that your LO was on a prescription cream and that you are also using tea tree oil, coconut oil and probiotics - all topically? Does your LO's doctor know that you are using them in addition to the prescription?

Tea tree oil can be very irritating to the skin - can cause rash, blisters, etc.

Probiotics are generally meant to be ingested and they then encourage the growth of normal bacteria (those that are normally in our digestive tract that are good for us). I would wonder whether it is appropriate to use them on the skin, especially broken skin. I wonder whether they would encourage the growth of microorganisms that do not belong on the skin.

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #52
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

my DS has gone to the er twice the first time my DD was in the hospital with pneumonia and he was at mu moms and having a very hard time breathing i wanted to have him checked to make sure he wasn't also developing pneumonia it wasn't. the second time he fell and cut his forehead open at 8:00 on a Wednesday night my DH took him in and they glued the cut on his head shut if it had happened earlier in the day i would have brought him to the clinic not the er the er is for emergencys if it can wait till morning i would rather see my own Dr's who know my child
Old 05-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #53
jbaxter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No I wouldn't. I have 2 siblings who work in very busy ER's Things like diaper rashes get very low priority and you could be there 8+hrs with all manner of sick coughing dirty puking people.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #54
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nada87 View Post
DD2 has a nasty diaper rash, we've been battling yeast since she was 4 mo old (she's coming up on 11 months now) and have been through every natural remedy I could find plus every prescription cream the dr's would give me. Currently we are on prescription cream 6 coconut oil with tto mixed in and probiotics. It did go away for a month but came back a few weeks ago. Anyways, her butt is really bad today and the dr's office is closed till Tuesday. She seems to be uncomfortable but not to bad (except when she poos and we have to wipe it off) I want to take her to the ER but I know its not really an emergency. If it gets any worse I will definatly take her in but I can't decide if I should take her in anyway.
so would you take your child in to the ER if you knew is wasn't a real emergency but wouldn't be able to see the dr for a few days?
I voted Other.

Before January, I would have said never ever go to an ER unless you have an urgent or emergent issue.

However, I had to take my DD to the ER in January because the DCP called to say she was lethargic and they were worried about her. She had had an ear infection so they were worried maybe some secondary infection had started and she was having a hard time. So I came to pick her up and while driving to the ER, I called her doctor's office a dozen times. The phone was busy. So I just decided to keep going to the ER.

The whole way there I was saying this is stupid. How can I take my kid to the ER for something piddly like an ear infection? But I figured the DCP wanted to have something showing DD was seen by somebody before letting her go back so I ended up at the ER.

Very, very, long story short...she was lethargic because she has going into liver failure. Trust me, I know it is a very rare exception that I am talking about, but this is why I would say sometimes you may just end up going to the ER and you don't think you have an emergency. I work in ERs. I register the crazy people who show up with a hang nail wanting to be seen ahead of the old guy with chest pains. I am soooo not saying everyone should go if they feel the need to, but I have to say on rare occasions it is better that you do.

One of those instances is when your child has had a prolonged infection of any kind and he/she is under 2 years of age. Infections and the prolonged use of medications can very easily tip the balance of health in a very young child.

If you feel that your child is just not getting better, more of the same is likely not going to help. You may need to see someone else (like an objective doctor in the ER) to get another opinion on what the problem is. If you feel that that is worthwhile, then go ahead to the ER. Maybe wait until a time in the day that you might not have a long wait (one good thing about not having a real emergency), but otherwise, we'll probably go when we find ourselves in that situation.

HTH...

Last edited by JAG's baby mama; 05-30-2011 at 05:39 PM.
JAG's baby mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #55
reithegenki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Voted other because my ped has told me to go in and get DS checked out "just in case" before, but I only would for something like that with my ped's recommendation. Or if I was unsure. If I'm not positive my kid is okay and couldnt get ahold of my ped and I think he "might" need to go, you bet your butt I would head there.

~ Posted from my iPhone. Please excuse any weird typos or foul language the autocorrect likes to sabotage me. <3

Life is good.
reithegenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #56
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nada87 View Post
Peanuts tush is looking so much better today. It still is worse than it has ever been but now most of it is very pick rather then bright red. She does have a few raw spots that I am keeping my eye on. Our copay is $150 for er visits so while its crazy expensive it wouldn't break the bank (thanks fto the emergency fund). Today I realise that I was kinda over reacting last night so I'm glad I didn't go.
Thanks for all the suggestions, we actually don't use cloth right now (well for the last 5 months actually) so its not because I haven't been killing it in the diapers. I haven't been using TTO constantly I just threw that back in because it seemed to get the best results.
We actually see a GP not a pedi and they don't usually call back if you call the after hours number. I'm planning to switch drs but we are planning to move out of state this year (spring next year at the latest) so I was hoping to avoid that hassle until then.
Have you considered it is the disposables that are causing you the problem. Try some different brands if you haven't. We are cloth purely because my son got the red bottom from the Pampers Baby Dry when tired Mama accidentally grabbed the wrong package of diapers then thought... well, what is the difference. Well, I found out real quickly. It was horrible. We can only use Huggies Pure and Natural (very $$$ but there are coupons out there and gratefully we only use them out so its not to bad) and other store brands - I prefer Walmart over Target as there is more elastic but prefer Huggies as there is tons. Sometimes I'll also use the commissary brand Pull-Ups. But, if we have him in all day, we will get some redness. Some kids are just very sensitive to the chemicals and most have some type of chemical but some are better than others.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #57
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

no, we have walk-in clinics and urgent care if need be.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #58
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Absolutely not. ER's *should* be for emergencies only. I actually think they should turn people away if it is not an emergency. I was not happy when I shattered my fibula and broke the end of my tibia off of my left ankle and was in excruciating pain and had to wait for those who "didn't feel good" only b/c they were in line before me.

Either go to an urgent care or wait. It sounds like she has had if off on for almost 7 months, what is 3 more days?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #59
reithegenki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane
Absolutely not. ER's *should* be for emergencies only. I actually think they should turn people away if it is not an emergency. I was not happy when I shattered my fibula and broke the end of my tibia off of my left ankle and was in excruciating pain and had to wait for those who "didn't feel good" only b/c they were in line before me.

Either go to an urgent care or wait. It sounds like she has had if off on for almost 7 months, what is 3 more days?
That really sucks mama, and I totally agree with you - but ERs don't work on a first come first serve basis. The higher risk cases are seen first. Thats judged by the risk you permanent damage or threat to life not pain level. It sucks when someone with a bad flu goes before someone who has a broken arm, but the reason is to make sure the flu person doesn't have anything life threatening and get them away from other patients.

"Insert joke about iPhone autocorrect here"

Life is good.
reithegenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #60
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

i find it hard to believe that in chicago the closest urgent care is an hour away! thats rediculous! we have 8 within 20 minutes of me..i am in oak lawn (sw chi burb).

next time could you try a walgreens care clinic or cvs clinic? those are all over chicago.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote