Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
turtlemomma
Registered Users

Bum Genius vs Prefolds?

I am a first time mother that has decided to cloth diaper. I have heard excellent things about Bum Genius, but they are pocket diapers and are expensive. I was wondering if someone could please explain the pro's and con's of Bum Genius 4.0 vs. a cover and pre-folds. I'm VERY confused with all this and it's pretty overwhelming at first. If Bum Genius is the BEST and everyone seems to like them, then I'm willing to make the investment in them. However, if they're not really that great than I'd like to use just a cover and pre-folds (which I would be happy to get any suggestions for that as well). I'm looking to do a "one-size fits all" cover/bum genius. However, I realize as a newborn, I may have to use something different until 8-10 lbs. THANK YOU FOR ANY AND ALL OPINIONS!!!

Advertisement

turtlemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
ransom
Registered Users

Re: Bum Genius vs Prefolds?

i'm personally not wild about one-size pockets... my little guy is 15 lbs (at 7 months) and even set on the smallest setting some pockets are still too big and bulky for my taste. we do prefolds (or some fitteds) with covers... we like thirsties duos and wool soakers. my favorite FAVORITE brand of wool is called babeegreens (http://www.babeegreens.com/) they have wool covers and cashmere covers.

if i were you i'd buy a one or two used BG's and just see how you like them in comparison... everyone's baby is different and everyone's tastes are different!

hope this helps...
Old 05-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
reesie
Registered Users
seller

I have an 11 mo. old that I started cloth diapering about 21/2 mo. ago. I have almost all 4.0 Bumgenius and couldnt be happier with them. I havent tried them on a smaller baby. We have never had a rash or leak. Yes they are expensive but just get a couple for now to see if you like them. Shop on this site and get used but good shape ones and also watch for cotton babies seconds and sales to build your supply over time. You may want to invest in a few BG flip covers also, then u can use prefolds and they go a little farther. Good luck!! I LOVE CDing
reesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
rachelanne820
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a 7 week old girl and planned to CD from birth. I ended up using sposies for the first few weeks. Now, at 7 weeks and about 12 lbs my favs are BumGenius and prefolds with Econobums covers and wool covers.

I would order 1 BG pocket and 1 Enocobum Trial Pack (comes with a cover and 3 prefolds). That way u can choose what u like best.

I love using prefolds but BGs are so easy. Don't worry though - once you buy one cloth diaper, you will be hooked and will end up trying everything out there!!! It happens to us all!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I would get some of both. Pockets are great for out of the house and sitters/dad. The pockets are stay dry, and if you prestuff super fast to put on. If money is an issue you might buy a few sunbabies as well (which might fit now). I prefer them over BG. Add a hemp doubler and they work well for out of the house/longer stretches.

Prefolds are far more absorbent than pockets and are easy to care for. I LOVE them. They are great for overnight, Too. You can add a stay dry liner if needed (just cut up some fleece). My favorite cover for trifolding is Econobum (which is OS). For snappi-ing I prefer MotherEase Airflow (which are sized).

I started with all pockets, but when I couldn't make them work for overnights I tried prefolds. I loved the absorbency so much, they became my fave! I do mostly prefolds at home. Occasionally fitteds at night, and pockets fir changes out of the house or babysitters. Perfect mixture
Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
grizzardmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love both but my reccomendation is to do a trial from kellys closet or jillians drawers...that way you get to try a lil of everything
Old 05-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
xixicama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeslittlewoman View Post
I would get some of both. Pockets are great for out of the house and sitters/dad. The pockets are stay dry, and if you prestuff super fast to put on. If money is an issue you might buy a few sunbabies as well (which might fit now). I prefer them over BG. Add a hemp doubler and they work well for out of the house/longer stretches.

Prefolds are far more absorbent than pockets and are easy to care for. I LOVE them. They are great for overnight, Too. You can add a stay dry liner if needed (just cut up some fleece). My favorite cover for trifolding is Econobum (which is OS). For snappi-ing I prefer MotherEase Airflow (which are sized).

I started with all pockets, but when I couldn't make them work for overnights I tried prefolds. I loved the absorbency so much, they became my fave! I do mostly prefolds at home. Occasionally fitteds at night, and pockets fir changes out of the house or babysitters. Perfect mixture
Old 05-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
leeuhhh
Registered Users

My Mood:

buy a couple of each kind. i have tons of diapers though of just about every kind and if i had to go with just one, it would be covers and prefolds.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
Mum2Gaby&Emersyn
Registered Users

My Mood:

BGs don't seem to work for me - well, for dd... so I would personally go with prefolds
Co-owner of 'Mums & Bums' - coming soon!
Mum2Gaby&Emersyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with PP that you should try both! No matter what anyone else loves and recommends, you and your baby are unique and it's hard to know what you'll love until you try it. I started out with prefolds and covers and I love them. I think BumGenius 4.0 are great diapers but I wouldn't want to ONLY have those. I think variety is the spice of life.

I don't want to overwhelm you even more (I remember how daunting it is when you're starting out) so I'll tell you what I like and try to be detailed so it makes sense.

For daytime diapering I love these super soft hemp/cotton jersey prefolds: http://www.abbyslane.com/catalog.php?item=6153&ret=catalog.php with a Flip cover http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?products_id=2220

For an AIO ("all in one", where the diaper is one piece...nothing snaps in or lays in or pins in or gets covered up...just one piece) I L O V E BumGenius Elemental. They're organic, trim, absorbent and CUTE!! http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?products_id=2545 http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?products_id=1825

For nighttime, I like a fitted with a cover (fitteds are usually bulky compared to other diaper types so I like to use them for nighttime or at home without a cover or pants). Examples of fitteds are Goodmamas, Orange Diaper Co and the snapless multi from sustainablebabyish (my favorite for night!) http://sloomb.myshopify.com/collections/cloth-diapers/products/snapless-multi-contrasts I cover them with a wool cover or a Flip cover.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to! You'll find so much great info here! These mamas are awesome. We all love cloth diapering and are passionate about it and I'm sure you'll find there are more wonderful options than you ever imagined!