Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Catalytic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Crash course in AA hair please?

Sort of fostering 2 girls, 8 and 10, and I am clueless about their hair. The 10 yr old can take care of her own, but I have to do the 8 yr olds. Long story, but hubby and I are legal guardians along with another lady. (Hopefully for not longer than 7-10 days, I'm really out of my depth here!)

Anyway we got the girls Friday night and the other lady said I'd have to do her hair every 2-3 days. I swear she told me to put the oil on it every day, but the 10 yr old says only when I have to actually do it? She also told me not to wash it unless I absolutely have to because it took her 6 hours to get it done after she washed it a couple of weeks ago????

CPS told me to take her to the hair shop every other day and have them do it, but I can't afford that! I'm planning to do her hair, at the latest, Monday afternoon, and then again Wednesday afternoon, so that will hopefully get us through the school week. We have extracurriculars every night except Wednesday, so I honestly have no clue how I can get my own kids to their stuff, get the girls to the stuff they do, AND spend hours on hair.

Tried YouTube, didn't find anything overly helpful. It looks like she has a lot of hair, and it looks to be maybe 8-10" long. (It's in ponytails all over her head right now, and then those tails are twisted? They aren't in braids, and then the bottom is secured with one of the little girl plastic barrettes.)

Any help, easy hairstyles? Can she really go 7-10 days without having her hair washed? Does she need oil on it every day, or just when I have to redo her 'do? (I feel like a total idiot, I don't even do my own hair, it's just long and straight, I wash/condition/brush it and keep it in a ponytail.) Other guardian told me to blow dry it if I have to wash it? Ha, I don't even own a blow dryer, argh.

Advertisement

Catalytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Crash course in AA hair please?

Here is a good starting resource...

http://www.pacwcbt.pitt.edu/Curricul...20workbook.pdf
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm just going by what you described, but I would definitely leave it to the other last to wash her hair. Trust me, it will be a lot for you to handle AA hair after a washing. Yes, she can go 7 days without a washing, her hair will be fine.

When you do her hair, the easiest thing for you to do every other day is undo ONE twist at a time. Comb it out, brush it back into a ponytail, and twist it again. (take 2 sections and twist them together, you may need to google 2 stand twists to see what you need to do.) Do this for each individual twist. Put a barrette on the end, keep some extras, because they fall off easy for an 8 yr old.

Only put the oil/grease on when you do her hair, and you don't need a lot. You shouldn't be able to see the grease coat her hair. Think of when you put gel, or a leave in conditioner in your hair. You don't use a lot, just a little covers the whole head. If you don't put enough in, she will be fine too. Ask her sister if you aren't sure. I strongly advise you not to take all of her hair out!!! Just wanted to repeat that.

For a brush, you need to get one with bristles, it kind of looks like a toothbrush, but with black or dark brown bristles, and the regular size of a brush. Again, ask the sister if you don't know. She will tell you what NOT to use.

And, always comb from the end and move up.

Good luck! PM me if you need more help or need me to clarify something.

Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Truthfully, if it's only for a week take her somewhere to get her hair put into braids/conrows. Find a black hair salon or an AA mom and offer her a littl money to fix the girl's hair. Then don't mess with it. Don't wet it, oil it, etc. Once every week is more than enough styling since braids keep extremely well.Yes, the girls can easily go a couple of weeks without having their hair washed. Our hair doesn't get as oily as Caucasian hair is the short answer as to why this is the case.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

I think the PPs have some good advice, but I am a very visual learner. If I were in your shoes, I would find a salon and go in and pay to have it done once. Explain your situation and ask them to show you what to do. That way you don't have to keep paying for the salon, but you learn how to properly care for it yourself. And I would put personal hygiene above any extracurriculars.

Last edited by jac1976; 05-29-2011 at 07:44 AM.
jac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
Truthfully, if it's only for a week take her somewhere to get her hair put into braids/conrows. Find a black hair salon or an AA mom and offer her a little money to fix the girl's hair.
This I'm a little surprised her sister isn't already braiding her hair. I'm white and my best friend in elementary school (AA) used to braid my hair on the school bus Because I'm white it would look like garbage by the end of the day, but when I would go to her house it was just what you did. You sat around watching TV or playing cards and braided hair. It was the 90's so some of the braids were VERY elaborate!

anyhow, even an AA neighbor's teen daughter would probably love to do it for you and make a couple $
Old 05-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
viettasgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Listen to everything JeDeeLenae said and you will be fine. It doesn't have to be done every day or oiled every other day, but if you do it's ok. If you get it braided (I'm talking cornrows, not plaits), then it will easily last a week, possibly 2 or 3. When I do dd's hair it lasts that long. Don't stress- it will be ok. But I do agree, don't try to take it all out and deal with it because it'll just be a pain.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
Catalytic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone!

A couple more questions.

I texted Mom this morning, she says she washes K's hair once a week. According to the other guardian, it was last washed 2 weeks ago. She did tell me it was fine to braid or twist it wet.

I wouldn't dream of not taking care of K's personal hygiene, that's why I'm asking for advice! Just because I need to fit it in with school and extracurriculars doesn't mean I'm going to ignore it. I do, however, have 5 children of my own, and they have needs, too, so I'm trying to plan time to work on K's hair. If I have an idea of what it's going to take, and how much time it will take, then I can figure out when the best time to do it is, if that makes sense.

So, in light of what Mom said, and knowing it's already been 2 weeks since it was washed, what do I do? It's hard for me to imagine going that long without washing my hair, obviously. (The other guardian is Caucasian as well, and I could feel her frustration in dealing with K's hair)

I don't know anyone who can help me with her hair nearby, we live rural and have no neighbors. There is a mom that may be able to help me from my son's baseball team, but I won't see her until Tuesday night, and K's hair will definitely need to be done tomorrow. (Can't call, I don't have her number, nor do I even know her name, I just see her at ball and her little girl's hair is always cute)

I will call and find out about getting it done, there is an "urban" hair braiding place in town, I assume they could do it, but honestly, until pay day, I cannot afford it.

My daughter is off work tomorrow night (she's 17), and she loves playing with hair, so we will do it together, whether that means washing it or just redoing the twists. Her best friend is half-AA, and does have AA hair to some extent, she may be able to walk us through it on the phone (unfortunately, she's about 5000 miles away, so she can't physically help with it) K's sister's hair is shorter, and all she does it brush it back and down into a "bun" at the base of her head, she hates braids and such she said.

Anyway, my big question, knowing it's been two weeks already, do I NEED to wash K's hair? If I need to, I will. I have all day tomorrow to devote to her, if needed, and I'm not totally incompetent, just a bit ignorant

(I have lots of barrettes, rubber bands, boar bristle brush, plastic like air vent brush, normal comb, and Proclaim Glossing Polish, Motions Marula Hair Treatment Balm (this is what I was told to use on K's hair by the other guardian), and Soft Sheen Carson Optimum Oil Therapy, they all have mineral oil high in the ingredients) The girls brought this stuff with them. They weren't removed from Mom, Mom is out of state and out of touch most of the time due to a military school. The girls were removed from the supposed sitter Mom hired due to neglect. The other guardian is a good friend of the girls and their Mom. She's also military and has been sent TDY, so we are the backup plan CPS created. When the other guardian is home, she's actually living in the girls' home with them, so they have access to everything they use when Mom is home.
Catalytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Something that is important in helping the hair from getting really messed up is using a SATIN pillowcase. I would take her somewhere to get her hair done.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Since mom is TDY and all this is happening, would mom be willing to send the girls a little money to get their hair done?

Your story is breaking my heart. Too bad your so far away, my neighbor does hair from her home, and is 1/2 AA with 3/4 AA kids (is that how that would work ) and I know she would do the little ones hair in a heart beat.

Maybe call the coach of your son's team and see if you can get the mom's number?

good luck