Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you want to wash it, go ahead. It sounds like she has natural hair and honestly, you're going to overwhelm yourself. If the other guardian is used to it, let her do it. Even if it's been 2 weeks. You can get some sea breeze or other stringent and put it on a washcloth and pat her scalp with it if her head is itching or something.

When you take out one section and see how much hair is really there, you'll see why I'm saying don't do it yourself yet. And don't go to an urban salon, it's expensive to get hair braided at salons.

I routinely washed my hair 1-2 times a month when I was younger. She will be okay if you wait. If you want to go for it, I say you do the simple re-do method that I mentioned above first and get a feel for her hair. Then do the wash in a few days when you can designate a good amount of time parting it, oiling the scalp, and doing the pony tails.

Advertisement

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
Leslieann
Registered Users
seller

Re: Crash course in AA hair please?

I agree with JedeeLanae. My son is mixed and he can really go a much longer time between washings than a caucasion person. if I were you I would just take out one ponytail/twist and see how it is out together brush it out and see if you can reassemble it. More often than not , you can just brush out each one lighly re oil and reassemlbe and no washing is really neccessary especially if she will only be there for one week . I would not tackle it if I was not well versed on it. I have cared for son's hair exclusively for his whole life and sometimes after washing I still feel defeated and it can take hours to tackle it and tame it into a controlled semblence of anything. Sometimes I start one day and finish the next.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #13
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

If they are only going to be there a week or so I would absolutely not worry about washing it.

When she said oil it when you have to fix it she meant that you only need to redo her hair every couple of days and that is when you oil it.

If her hair gets messy while she is at your house, I would just do like has been mentioned, take one ponytail down, oil that area, comb it (please do not use that plastic vent brush, a wide tooth comb is what you need), and put it right back like it was. Her sister can help you, she knows what to do and how it is usually done.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #14
Catalytic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey ladies! Thanks very much for your advice and help! I did redo her hair Monday night (NOT washed, just the twists), took me a little over an hour. The other guardian has been delayed for ???? days, Mom will be back around mid-June, but, I found out she will have to be cleared thru CPS before the girls can go home. (Screwy situation, but out of my hands, Mom didn't do anything except pick a bad sitter)

Anyway, thanks a bunch for all the advice!
Catalytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #15
jenbabekitty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It's easier when u watch and learn. My bestie in hs was aa. She taught me a little but not enough to help. she used to corn row my hair. Oh my did it hurt. Lol! She kept forgetting that I am caucasian. I miss her.

I am glad your helping them out. I would do it in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone so watch for weird posts!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #16
Edenite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Go to youtube and type in "natural hair washing" "Natural hair detangling" "natural hair 2 strand twists"

There is so much information online about natural hair, you will be a professional by the time she leaves.

Check out my hair care blog also, if you want: http://diyhaircareblog.com

Also try these childrens hair care sites: http://beadsbraidsandbeyond.com and http://happygirlhair.com

Natural Body Butters, Hair & Body Milks (Vegan), Herbs and more!!
Edenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #17
Catalytic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edenite View Post
Go to youtube and type in "natural hair washing" "Natural hair detangling" "natural hair 2 strand twists"

There is so much information online about natural hair, you will be a professional by the time she leaves.

Check out my hair care blog also, if you want: http://diyhaircareblog.com

Also try these childrens hair care sites: http://beadsbraidsandbeyond.com and http://happygirlhair.com
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Girl Hair is EXACTLY what I need!
Catalytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #18
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
neighbor is 1/2 AA with 3/4 AA kids (is that how that would work )
Yes. 1/2 AA has kids with an AA, the kids will be 3/4 AA. You are correct.