Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #11
the_oz_girl
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: At what age would they not sedate a child for a cavity filling?

DS1 was 4 when he got his first cavity filled. We did gas and a shot. After getting more filled at 6 years old and just using the shot, I'll never go through the PITA of gas again. It was more hassle in the office, more expensive and freaked him out WAY more than was needed looking back on it.

Advertisement

the_oz_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
rylan'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the replies mamas! I am hoping it isn't an actual cavity though! We are really dilligent about checking over his teeth and this just showed up. I know cavities can do that but I am wondering if it is chipped and stained? I have poked it with a pick and it isn't painful or soft at all. Oh well, we will see on Friday!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Each dentist is different. You MUST have a pediatric dentist IMO. DS had an extensive injury to the mouth at 5. He needed quitre a bit of work and never needed anything but gas. I have VERY cooperative kids. DD had sealants on her molars at age 2. No problems.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylan'smomma View Post
Thanks for all the replies mamas! I am hoping it isn't an actual cavity though! We are really dilligent about checking over his teeth and this just showed up. I know cavities can do that but I am wondering if it is chipped and stained? I have poked it with a pick and it isn't painful or soft at all. Oh well, we will see on Friday!
The big one my daughter has just showed up all of a sudden. She had gotten a piece of apple stuck between her molars and when I got it out, there it was! It was a little hole with a black spot in it too. I was SO annoyed! And what's really frustrating is that my sister's kids do not have cavities and I KNOW they don't eat as well as DD and hardly get their teeth brushed at all and if they do, it's because they do it, not their mom doing it. They also don't floss so I just don't get it. I can't help but wonder if it wasn't because we were out of the country for a couple of years and she wasn't getting any fluoride in her water? I don't know. Can't be genetics because my sister's teeth are worse than mine; she's five years younger and is going to need a bridge in a few spots because she's had teeth pulled. Only tooth I'm missing is one that was taken out because it never came down so...yeah. Unless they got their father's teeth genes or something...
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #15
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They don't sedate at our dentist office. They just use novacaine for anyone getting their teeth worked on.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you see a pediatric dentist? If not, I'd visit one for this so that the person doing it works on kids all day every day and is used to squirmy 5 year olds. It makes a HUGE difference. I heart my kid's dentist! We use her for foster kids too, and she is great.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 05-30-2011 at 06:57 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #17
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They didn't sedate ds when he was 5. He had a cavity on the front of one of his front teeth and one in a molar. He didn't get a shot either. Most of the time minor cavities shouldn't hurt to get fixed. I guess it depends on how deep it is.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #18
ralenth
Registered Users

Both my boys have had cavities, both with just numbing cream, then shots. Honestly, neither one has ever realized they even had the shots. The dentist was great with keeping them numb, and keeping the needle out of sight. I was amazed!
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #19
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Okay, they did not sedate DD and the dentist was quite quick with getting the fillings in too. One too longer because it was a bigger cavity so more had to be done with it but I don't think it took more than 20 minutes for the whole thing. She's got another appointment in June for two more cavities but that one should take much less time. It took almost longer for them to do the numbing and stuff and the hygienist was EXCELLENT though DD hated having her mouth numb.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote