Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
vittoriosmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: May 30- June 5 New Year mama Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbi_n_nadia View Post
Ah! We might be getting a 1 year old house trained Great Dane! We're going to go look at him in a few minutes! Dh wants him and I'm not so sure. Lol Its dh bday in a couple weeks tho so he says it'd be his bday present. We had 2 great Danes when I was little and I'm just not sure if I'm up for it or not right now.
Oh my Mama... I know it's probably not something you want to hear but I think you might be too overwhelmed... Even though he is 1 year old you just might regret getting a dog when you are so early preggo and soon will have a little baby...
So here is my confession... My husband kept saying he doesn't want anymore children and I was so desperate to nurture that I got an 8 week old Keeshond puppy. His name is Sinatra. Well... that was in March and ever since we got him he has been raising my anxiety level SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH that I thought oh my GOD I don't want a DOG!!!! I felt so guilty about it so we kept him... But 2 weeks ago I just couldn't take it anymore. Cleaing up all the hair, pee accidents, poop accidents, and a LOT OF MONEY was spent on the vet- he had worms, respiratory infections, ear infections... around $1000 in vet bills...
I ended up calling a friend in AZ-he has been dreaming of a Keeshond never could afford it. I gave the dog away...
I AM SOOOOOOOOO MUCH HAPPIER!

Just something to think about!I would hate to see you miserable when you should be enjoying your pregnancy and then your little baby! NOT worry about taking care of a dog...

I don't know maybe I am not a dog person...I am just so much happier without Sinatra. Lesson learned.

Oh. And when people tell me having a puppy is like having a baby I tend to get mad now... It is so NOT like having a baby. You have automatic love for your own baby. It is NOT easy to train a dog, it is much easier to potty train a toddler...A puppy is sooooo much more work than a baby!

So sorry mama I am not being helpful, just venting the frustration I had with my own dog... I am just simply sharing my experience. I apologize if I hurt the feelings of any DOG LOVER here.

Advertisement

Last edited by vittoriosmom; 05-30-2011 at 01:35 PM.
vittoriosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
austinandashlynsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will also comment on the new dog discussion. We got a yorkie puppy in February because our 2 year old maltese/poodle was lonely. (We lost our other dog last fall to diabetes). I love Ruby dearly but I have so many regrets. I couldn't let her go now because I'm much too attached but had I known that I was going to find out I was pregnant this spring, I never would have considered it. Bella (our 2 year old dog) is really good, no accidents, just runs out into the backyard, goes and comes back, very low maintenance other than barking out the window at the neighbors. Ruby on the other hand is still having accidents at least once a day, chews on the kids toys, has to be taken out on a leash or tied because she will run towards the road, but on a good note, she's very laid back and is a complete lap dog. Housebroken or not, a 1 year old puppy in a new house is going to have accidents and be a handful. I hope you give it a lot of thought. Also, I was crazy and got Bella only a week after finding out I was pregnant with Wyatt and for the first 6 months, that was a nightmare too.

Sara: Good luck telling the fam today!!!!

And now my mind is blank but I know there was more I was going to comment on....

We were supposed to get the pool set up, the garden tilled, and the sandbox re-sealed today but it's 4 pm and dh is still sitting in front of the tv and none of those things are things I can do alone. I'm about to go smack him!
austinandashlynsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
abbi_n_nadia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ok we went and saw him and he does not look like a full great Dane so we are definitely not getting him. my aunt and uncle took him. I am very glad that dh didn't fall in love with him cause he's just a big black dog, nothing special AND he wasn't neutered!! I am definitely not up for that! Dh is still wanting a dog tho so we may end up with a puppy for his bday. I'm not sure if I'm up for that either tho. I think we'd be ok with a puppy right now but who knows...I never know how it will go til we try it...

vittoriosmom, I totally understand! Btdt! Dogs are definitely a pain sometimes especially when they're hard to potty train, some dogs are easy and quick to train and others never stop pottying in the house. I have a 10 year old chihuahua, I got her when she was 3 months old and she has been with me ever since. She's great tho! She never potties in the house and she is just such a sweet old dog and she is good with kids and other dogs too.

As for the m/s, mine is about the same just feel nauseous all the time and nothing sounds good but if I don't eat then I feel worse. The only thing that helps is lots of snacking and trying to keep my mind off of it (you know like looking at puppies or other fun things like baby gear!! Haha).

Speaking of which...what kind of double strollers do you all have/will you be getting? We have a Combi side by side double and I love it!! I can't wait to put a newbie in it!! Dd2 will be turning 2 in Dec a little more than a month before newbies arrival so I will def need her to ride so I can keep track of her!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
abbi_n_nadia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh yeah forgot about the chewing! Thanks for reminding me of that! Your probably right! I would go nuts with a puppy right now! Gonna have to think of something else dh would love for his bday...hmm...
Old 05-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally need to start working on my stroller research! I would really, really love to get a double BOB. I have never had a BOB, but a good friend has one and it's great. Of course if I got a double BOB it would be the one that just lives at the house and is used for park trips and walks and such. . .and I'd want something smaller and lighter for the car. So for that I was thinking of a sit and stand. ds will be 28 months (ish) when this one is born, so I think he'll be able to do a sit and stand for quicker trips. I just can't deal with lugging a giant stroller in and out of the car. Or maybe I'll just get a double MacLaren for the car. . .hmmmmm. This is gonna take some thought.

I so did not do any real stroller research last time, nor would I have really known what to look for or what I would like (it's so hard to tell as a first-timer!). . .so we just wound up with a basic Chicco stroller and carseat combo and it's fine, but I've always lusted after a nicer stroller! Of course the other issue if $$, the BOB strollers are so silly-expensive. I don't know what I'll be able to talk DH into. . .

and yes, I am snacking all the time. Hard to think of anything that sounds really good and yet I just want to eat all the time. Ugh.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #16
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sarah- ohhhh can't wait to see how it goes with family!!!!

Vitts- I can't wait till Wed to be 9 weeks!!

Michelle- my honey do list never gets touched . Need to motivate my guy somehow :/

Abbi- we have a double graco one in front of other instead of the side by side and I totally want the side by side. It's OK but feels heavy and bulky. We tried the side by side at church and it's soooo light. Might try to sell or trade mine.

Well tonight dh gave me that " you're nuts when you're pregnant" look. I had a cookies n cream ice cream cone in one hand and with the other eating queso chili and chips it was delicious too! The ice cream cooled the queso LOL
Old 05-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #17
austinandashlynsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Speaking of which...what kind of double strollers do you all have/will you be getting? We have a Combi side by side double and I love it!! I can't wait to put a newbie in it!! Dd2 will be turning 2 in Dec a little more than a month before newbies arrival so I will def need her to ride so I can keep track of her!
I have a Phil and Ted's e3 with the doubles kit. I have mixed reviews... It's nice and compact, can be used as a single or a double, rides nicely, lots of available accessories, BUT, the wheels are air filled and it seems like I have to fill them ALL the time (and I have accidentally overfilled and popped the tubes a few times). The cord/wire in the canopy broke in the middle so instead of rounded, it's Vs up in the middle, and I think either the rear wheel assembly is bent or the axle. I can order parts and because it's a very expensive stroller, it would probably be worth it, but I don't know... It would cost almost $150 to order both rear wheel assemblies and a new canopy for it. And I'm not sure if I really NEED a double. Next winter/spring/summer I'm sure I'll be wearing the baby 99% of the time so I'll probably only need a single and the next summer when this baby is a toddler, Wyatt will probably not want to ride in the stroller all that often. Anyway, to sum it up, I'm either going to order parts for my e3 (which really hasn't been used that heavily even though it's 4 years old) or going with something like this. Or just get a Graco single or something.
austinandashlynsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #18
vittoriosmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I will be getting a Phil&Teds double stroller. It acommodates a car seat, has an optional bassinet insert and the two top reasons I am getting it are:
I was a nanny in NYC 7 years ago and the family I worked for had this stroller-it was the best!!! It was so easy to steer, light and narrow because the seats are one on top of another and not side by side. Oh! And I always got so many compliments on it.
The other reason is because my son will be 3 when the baby is born and he might not need to or want to be in the stroller all the time- with this stroller you just take one of the seats out and it looks like you never had a double stroller. We have a pretty small car (Cadillac SRX) - it is an SUV but a smaller one and the trunk won't fit much. This stroller is small enough to fit!
And the bassinett option is a major plus! I hate trying to put a newborn in those not fully reclined seats...

abbi_n_nadia I am so happy you are rethinking the puppy idea- really just give it more thought... I would just hate to see you as miserable as I was!

Last edited by vittoriosmom; 05-30-2011 at 04:21 PM.
vittoriosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #19
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm, I've never even heard of the Phil&Ted. . .gonna have to look it up!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #20
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

HAven't been around much. Hit 7 wks yesterday. I worked Wed, Thur, Fri and yesterday. Tonight I am on call thank goodness because we leave for Houston in the am and then Vegas later in the day. I still hadn't packed or cleaned house or anything. So I was thankful to get the on call call lol even though I am missing out on holiday pay.

Not much going on with me. I have a little nausea here and there. I was kinda sick on Friday morning and throughout the day but I think I caught something. A few of the girls at work have come down with Shigella. I am terrified that I am going to have it on my trip! It's funny cause I can't tell the difference between morning sickness and a real stomach bug right now. Oh well.

Probably won't be on much this week at all since we are traveling. I hope you all have a fabulous one though!
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote