Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
talk to me about infants at the pool

:I'm taking ds to the pool for the first time when i get off work today! I was just planning on doing the baby pool (he's 8mo) but someone asked me if I was going to put his head under the water. I hadn't even thought of that, I think I'd be too scared.

I've heard of infant swim lessons so I imagine this happens and babies don't die but should I try something like this or just avoid it all together?

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: talk to me about infants at the pool

I've never felt the need to dunk an infant. People are really interested in the dive reflex, but it doesn't last forever, I can't remember when it "wears off" but really, what is the point. That reflex is there as a survival skill, not a party trick.

My DS used to love sitting in the baby pool or one of those ring floaters and splashing his brains out. We're getting geared up to start going again this year! My DS is 2, and we have a splash park that we're going to check out too, the "Big kids" usually aren't too interested in the splash park when there is a pool, so he doesn't have to worry about them.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

Different kids will react differntly. Obviously. Some of the kids at our swim class thought being dunked was hilarious. Others found it deeply objectionable. DS is sort of ambivalent.

If you do want to try, here's what our swim class recommends:

Hold baby under the armpits a bit away from your body. Count to three, to let him know something is coming. Then, blow in his face - he will automatically draw in breath and close his eyes. When you dunk him, swoop him under the water towards your body and out up next to your face. (From the side, this might look a bit like a J shape.) Heap praise on him. The point of this method is to keep the water flowing past his nose, so the likelihood he gets a snoutful is diminished.

Last edited by Sleep deprived; 06-02-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
formunkyfrommommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we just did infant lessons with ds at 2.5 years old and it was NEVER recommended by the teachers to dunk our children....get them to sprinkle water on their heads yes, but not dunk under any circumstances
Old 06-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh. Why? Sounds like a guaranteed way of making your child afraid of the water! Not to mention that I DID it to them.
Um, no thanks! He does it in his own time.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

My lo loves the pool! He's 11 mo and has been "swimming" since 3mo.
He has gone under water but we dudnt just dunk him. It took alot of working up to and we pulled him through the water to us, not just "dunk" you're under. We took lessons at our YMCA.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep deprived View Post
Different kids will react differntly. Obviously. Some of the kids at our swim class thought being dunked was hilarious. Others found it deeply objectionable. DS is sort of ambivalent.

If you do want to try, here's what our swim class recommends:

Hold baby under the armpits a bit away from your body. Count to three, to let him know something is coming. Then, blow in his face - he will automatically draw in breath and close his eyes. When you dunk him, swoop him under the water towards your body and out up next to your face. (From the side, this might look a bit like a J shape.) Heap praise on him. The point of this method is to keep the water flowing past his nose, so the likelihood he gets a snoutful is diminished.
Unless your my DS, my DS when we blew in his face he actually opened his mouth and eyes, so dunking didn't happpen. DS first got in our pool at like 2 weeks old (salt system), then at 5.5 months we started classes. He was one of the rare few the blowing trick did not work on, so we mostly skipped dunking. DS is a little fish who loves the water and can't wait to get in the water now at 21 months. He is allowed to go under a bit when he jumps to us in the water, but we don't purposely dunk him and never did. When water gets on his face he is fine with it though so we are ok with that
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
KellyBreen
Registered Users

My Mood:

I waited until my daughter was 3 before I did swim lessons. All of her playgroup mates were already swimming, but she didn't seem to mind that she waited. Once she started swim lessons, she could tell me what she was comfortable with and what she wasn't. I think she learned faster this way! ^_^
KellyBreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Did swim classes with both my girls from 4 months up. Never ever did an instructor suggest it was a good idea to dunk either of them. They will go under in their own time, when they are ready.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't dunk my 18 month old. She does try and swim with me holding her belly and sometimes puts her face in a little but I would never submerge her. We will probably do swimming classes next spring/summer when she is over 2.