Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2011, 11:05 AM   #21
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else's LO NOT like Disney movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaci View Post
We tend to watch the Pixar Disney movies, any of the traditional animated Disney movies have scary antagonists where as Cars, Wall-E, Up all are quite tame.
The few movies I let my kids watch of Disney are all Pixar, including Wall-E, which they enjoy. I have let them watch Cars, but I do find a couple of things in there questionable. Like when McQueen says, "I'm in Hillbilly H___." I don't even talk like that and don't want my kids too either. But, that is our family. It isn't scary though. (Although, "Frank" did scare one of my kids.)

Overall, I like Pixar films more than the classic Disney. But, they still put in adult humor that I feel is inappropriate for kids. I wish they would just make it a kids movie, or at least make the adult humor G rated, no need for words like the above in Cars or like "Jerk" in Toy Story. (I find Toy Story much too intense and scary for us anyway.)

And, it is so true that kids will pick up on thing we don't even notice. You really have to listen and be careful what they are hearing.

Advertisement

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 05-31-2011 at 11:06 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #22
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Our plan is to find old 'Mr. Rogers' and let her watch those when she gets old enough to watch anything.

Disney movies have a lot of scary parts and sexy looking princesses. I'm not a fan. I'm not trying to be all strict or prudie, but I think that a lot of things that are marketed to children are also marketed to adults and the products that come from that just aren't very kid-friendly.

I think there are some that would be okay.. Lady and the Tramp? the Aristocats? the ones with the adventuring mice?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #23
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Overall, I like Pixar films more than the classic Disney. But, they still put in adult humor that I feel is inappropriate for kids.
LOL...that's the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes when watching these shows
Old 05-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #24
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I think there are some that would be okay.. Lady and the Tramp? the Aristocats? the ones with the adventuring mice?
We have all three Tinkerbell movies and I can't find a single thing objectionable in them. The girl fairies wear some pretty short skirts, but I don't mind that so much. Tinkerbell has a job and doesn't require a man to rescue her. She's pretty tough. There are no scary parts or questionable language. All in all, something I feel okay about letting little girls watch
Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #25
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I do like fairies.

Thanks for the info
Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #26
clothforyourangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a whole lot of kids movies, but the scarier Disney ones don't get watched often, or only with a parent there, too. Current movie favorites for my boys are: Toy Story (all 3 of them), How to Train Your Dragon, Winnie-the-Pooh (original and the Heffalump one), and the original Star Wars. They've also been watching Tangled lately (they got it for Easter) and DS2 is less freaked out by the "bad guy mommy" than he was when he first saw it. We usually talk about what's going on in the movies so that he understands what's happening.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #27
JD's Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

before ds1 was exposed to tv at age 2. he was scared of everything especially "kid movies" and cartoons. i think at that age everything is just so real. we found some caillou on youtube and he was hooked. caillou is there age and experiances things that kids at that age do as well. i found it to be clean and wholesome. we recently got tv and i was really appalled at some of the movies and kid cartoons. there is always some kind of romantic message implied. arghhhhhhhhhh.

we also like berenstain bears (i remember their books as a kid and now they have cartoons based on the movie)
JD's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #28
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Disney movies have a lot of scary parts and sexy looking princesses. I'm not a fan. I'm not trying to be all strict or prudie, but I think that a lot of things that are marketed to children are also marketed to adults and the products that come from that just aren't very kid-friendly.

Actually there are plenty of non-princessy Disney movies:
Lady and the Tramp
The Aristocats
The Rescuers
The Rescuers 2
Lilo and Stitch
Lion King
Cars
Toy Story (1, 2, and 3)
Finding Nemo
Oliver and Company
Winnie The Pooh
The Tigger Movie
The Sword and The Stone
Alice in Wonderland
Fantasia
Fantasia 2000
101 Dalmations
Fox and the Hound
Chicken Little
Pinocchio
Great Mouse Detective
Mulan
Dinosaur

And plenty others too. Some of those might have some parts that might be considered pretty scary. Others, not so scary. But Disney is WAY more than princesses.

Last edited by happysmileylady; 05-31-2011 at 10:40 PM.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #29
psylion
Registered Users
seller

My DD likes Japanese animated movies like Ponyo, Howls Moving Castle, and Spirited Away. She also likes Chinese martial arts movies like crouching tiger hidden dragon. I was mad at DH for letting her watch something that seemed so violent to me but is is really pretty arty and DD hasn't tried to imitate it or anything. She has talked about wanting martial arts classes though. She might be disappointed that they don't actually teach her how to fly though.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #30
S4r4h
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylion
My DD likes Japanese animated movies like Ponyo, Howls Moving Castle, and Spirited Away.
We love these!!! I strongly recommend the book Howl's Moving Castle if you haven't read it to her already.
Sarah Beth - Mama to Charlie (Charlotte) born 1/12/11 and wife to Jeffery, computer geek extraordinaire. Lover of succulent gardens, live plant aquariums, reading, nature, sunshine, emergency veterinary medicine, and Homer, the best dog in the world.
S4r4h is offline   Reply With Quote