Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

What's the longest you'd wait to introduce a bottle of BM?

Mostly, I want DD to be able to take a bottle of BM in case something happens to me. Or more realistically, so I can leave her at home with DH while I get groceries and not have to run back if she decides she wants more half an hour later. Regardless, I want her to be able to take one.

But I don't want to right now. She's 6 weeks, and I don't want to see a bottle in her mouth yet.

What's the longest I can wait? Will she ever be 'too old' to be introduced to a bottle? DS was about 7 weeks when we started him, and then just made sure he'd have one 1x/week so he wouldn't forget.

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
hidden_star
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's the longest you'd wait to introduce a bottle of BM?

My son was almost 4 months when I tried a bottle for a road trip. We had three different bottles and he did not like to take one when he could see me, but he did fine taking the botte, but sometimes he just wanted to comfort nurse
Christmas 2012 baby!
hidden_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
poskozim
Registered Users
seller

I introduced at 6 weeks as I have to go back to work at 12 weeks (only 2.5 days a week ) I wasn't thrilled about it, but he took it and seemed content. Now, I do it about once a week so that he doesn't reject it like my older son did.
poskozim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
tiners17
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Depends on your little one I think. I would wait until you are ready, but mine always took a bottle with expressed milk really well for a sitter when I went back to work at 12 weeks part time and then when I stayed home after six months she would take from dad when I wasn't around. When I am there, I am always first choice!
tiners17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Depends. Mine did not want anything to do with the bottle at 2 weeks (it was out of necessity). I'm not going back to work, so I'm not really worrying about it; if he's hungry enough when DH and I are out on a date, he'll eat.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
tavosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

My first son got nipple confusion at 3 months and never nursed well again until he weaned at 9 months. From 4 months on I had to supplement heavily with formula. This time around I'm using the Breastflow bottle by first years and my baby boy is 6 months old and switches from bottle to breast no problem but definitely prefers the breast. I'm not trying to scare you, I just have to share this because the whole nipple confusion thing SUCKED really bad. We tried everything from finger feeders to cups and it was just never the same. Also the lady at the organic baby boutique in my town is a lactation consultant and she recommends the mimijumi bottle. Its a little more "crunchy" than the breastflow bottle and also more expensive. Best of luck!

ISO- SNAPPIS!!!
tavosmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:14 AM   #7
welovetherain
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't think they really get "too old" - I didn't try a bottle with DD until she was 9 weeks and thereafter it was pretty sporadic.
welovetherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

i introduced a bottle around 6 weeks my DS took to the bottle very well my DD hated the bottle and only started taking one at 9 months
Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
Princessk1985
Registered Users

My Mood:

i waited til DS was 6 weeks before he had his first bottle

but i made the mistake of not giving him one regularly so at 8 months old he is very fussy on the bottle....so do it often to get him used to it
Princessk1985 is offline   Reply With Quote