Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
Ehlane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Prednisone while nursing?

Any mamas have experience with using prednisone while nursing? I have a history of allergic reaction and hives and the only thing that has helped in the past is prednisone. DS is just over a year, but I am so not ready to wean him. Kellymom.com has it listed as L2 for breastfeeding, but I'm worried about it hurting my milk supply and passing bad things onto DS. Any advice/experience is greatly appreciated! TIA!

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Sophiasmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Prednisone while nursing?

Ive taken it several times for my asthma over a few yrs of bfing my LOs. Never noticed any change in my supply.
DD#1 5/21/04 ,DS 11/30/06 , DD#2 6/29/10 & 2 Angels
Sophiasmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
turbogirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Prednisone while nursing?

I had to start on it within 1 week post delivery for PUPPPS (aka the itchy pregnancy rash from hell - seriously). I researched the dosages and various packs they put me on for when they peaked in breast milk. Depending on the peak time, I would pump and dump or feed just prior to taking, etc. I wish I remembered all the sites where DH and I found the research on peaks in bm. Do what you need to keep you healthy and remember that bf'ing is half mental - don't anticipate a problem with your milk, stay positive, and focus on being healthy for your babe. Wishing you the best! I did not have ANY issues with supply. I talked with the OB, dermatologist, pharmacist, and pediatrician to make sure we were all on the same page about risks and benefits.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
Ehlane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks, Mamas! You've put my mind at ease! Headed to the dr tomorrow for some relief!