Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
sonshinemama
Registered Users
seller

Do *I* really need these ultrasounds?

At 12 weeks I was in the hospital with a large DVT from my knee to my groin. I am now on lovenox shots til 6 weeks pp. I am still seeing my reg OB but also consulting with a high risk OB. My regular OB is the one who will be delivering.

I had ultrasounds at 8 weeks - dating, before DVT, after the hospital, and 20 weeks. The high risk OB wants me back in in June for another ultrasound "for size" and then I think there will be more.

Do I really need these?
I will be asking my regular OB today. If they really are all necessary, then fine. But if not, I'd rather have as few as possible.

Advertisement

Swagbucks - Let's earn together!
sonshinemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do *I* really need these ultrasounds?

Doesn't seems excessive to me.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
sonshinemama
Registered Users
seller

I know I haven't had many - yet. I have no idea how many they will want done in the next months. And if the next one is just "for size", do I really need it? I just don't want to keep going in if they're not really needed.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unless there is a problem that needs to be checked out, I personally feel that the more times an ultrasound is done, the more opportunities there are to "find" issues that are probably not actually an issue ( like " low fluid") and to get worried about them when they are actually just manifestations of normal variation in pregnancy. So I would decline multiple ultrasounds unless there is some real concern on your part.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

So the "for size" one will be #5?
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
sonshinemama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Unless there is a problem that needs to be checked out, I personally feel that the more times an ultrasound is done, the more opportunities there are to "find" issues that are probably not actually an issue ( like " low fluid") and to get worried about them when they are actually just manifestations of normal variation in pregnancy. So I would decline multiple ultrasounds unless there is some real concern on your part.
This is part of my thinking but I don't know if having the dvt and being on the lovenox require more ultrasounds. KWIM?

Ultrasounds I've had -
1 - 8 week
2 - in the hospital they did 2 or 3 ultrasounds on my leg and during one, they checked the baby real quick. about 12-13 weeks
3 - after the hospital at my first consult appt with the high risk ob - 16 weeks
4 - 20 week

I'm scheduled for another towards the end of June where they said they're checking for size. It seems all ultrasounds will be with the high risk ob and she said that she will want to see me weekly towards the end. I don't know yet if that means weekly ultrasounds.

Like I said, I'll be asking my regular ob at today's appt.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:

"For size"?? Can't they tell that by measuring fundal height?

A question to ask, too - if they decide that baby isn't measuring the way they think it ought to, what can/will they do about it? If the answer is "have more ultrasounds" - what can they do based on THOSE results? Maybe I'm jaded, but a lot of medical professionals I've run into like to test just because they can (or because they're lazy), not because it's actually required or there aren't other ways to measure what they're after.

Disclaimer: I'm opting out of ultrasounds altogether. I know a lot of mamas and all doctors argue that they're completely safe, but they're not in my comfort zone unless there's a medically indicated reason. I guess it just creeps me out how many things doctors say are safe that they come back to five, ten, or twenty years later and go, "Oops! Well, sucks to be you, but it's not our fault because we didn't know."

*we're TTC again and hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

I would get the U/S's. The medical professionals usually know best.

It's not harmful and with your history of blood clots, I wouldn't doubt it in a second.

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I personally will never again do an ultrasound for "size" determination.

I was scared into "big baby" with my 1st OB. She insisted my daughter was 9-9.5lbs afteer a 37wk ultrasound. She was 6lb 13oz at 38wk even....
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
"For size"?? Can't they tell that by measuring fundal height?

A question to ask, too - if they decide that baby isn't measuring the way they think it ought to, what can/will they do about it? If the answer is "have more ultrasounds" - what can they do based on THOSE results? Maybe I'm jaded, but a lot of medical professionals I've run into like to test just because they can (or because they're lazy), not because it's actually required or there aren't other ways to measure what they're after.

Disclaimer: I'm opting out of ultrasounds altogether. I know a lot of mamas and all doctors argue that they're completely safe, but they're not in my comfort zone unless there's a medically indicated reason. I guess it just creeps me out how many things doctors say are safe that they come back to five, ten, or twenty years later and go, "Oops! Well, sucks to be you, but it's not our fault because we didn't know."
Fundal height measurements are just as inaccurate as an u/s is. My own OB told me she measured small her entire pregnancy, worried her sick knowing what risks were out there (IUGR, low fluid, etc) and was monitored with u/s just to double check and her baby was a totally normal size at birth. Same with measuring over. I measured over with my 4th baby and he was my smalled term baby so what does that say? Fundal height is just an estimate of growth and if you're in the guidelines (+/- 3wks like an u/s) you're fine. If you're WAY bigger or smaller than you may have something to worry about.

OP- I would get the u/s. When you're considered high risk, like having DVT, you need extra monitoring and part of that is an u/s. What you do with that info is up to you. You don't have to be induced because they say baby looks big, but you do need to weight the risks of not having it done. I don't think having 5 or 6 u/s in a pregnancy is unreasonable. I've had them done far more often than that with my twins. I had them done every 3wks pretty much my entire pregnancy plus twice weekly BPPs from 30-34wks not to mention when my OB would peek at them at my regular visits. I dunno, the risk of an u/s is worth the risk of missing a potential problem I guess. It's not that way for everyone but I really don't think having another u/s is that big of a deal. Again, what you do with the info is your choice.