Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
ds1997
Registered Users
Formerly: lilac0422
seller
seller

Re: Do *I* really need these ultrasounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
I guess it just creeps me out how many things doctors say are safe that they come back to five, ten, or twenty years later and go, "Oops! Well, sucks to be you, but it's not our fault because we didn't know."
Ain't that the truth!!

OP, I feel your pain. My blood pressure was high a couple times at very stressful appointments and my doctor is all over me to get a million ultrasounds to check for growth. It is very irritating!! Everyone always says "trust the doctor". Ugh!! Good luck!! I wish you a very healthy rest of pregnancy.

Advertisement

ds1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
jenbengtson
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would talk to the ob and see, but if your having blood clots and the meds, they might be worried about IUGR.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

I am one who is normally pretty leary about things that are suggested as far as their necessity. BUT ultrasounds are always going to be something for me that I will not question. I am knowledgable enough to know what questions to ask when "problems arise".

BUT I have had 2 situations that if I had refused the ultrasound like I wanted to, I would have had something different happen.

With my 2nd pregnancy, I was dx with GD, so I went in for a growth scan to make sure I was not having a beastly sized child. As I was getting ready for the day, I decided I didn't want to go in for the appointment. My DH said, eh, we already have it scheduled, we would be giving less than a 24 hour notice, we had better go in. So we did. Not only did we find that growth wise he had not grown since my U/S 2 weeks previous, (32 weeks was the last U/S, 34 weeks was this ultrasound I am talking about), but this u/s also showed that there were descrepancies in the blood flow in the cord, so they went back and did a cord doppler scan. They discovered that blood was not flowing in most of the cord, and there were pools of blood that were keeping him alive, but there was not much at all. So I was put on bed rest the rest of that evening in the hospital on constant monitering, they said often times this is a problem that can fix itself, like a kink in the cord or whatever. Then the next day, he was in fetal distress, his heart rate finally stopped plummeting, and then managed to stay in the lower normal range. I had a bio physical profile, he didn't move the entire time, so they raced me in for a emergency csection, preparing me for a still born...fortunately because of that ultrasound, my son is still alive. I had no symptoms of anything wrong, he would have died the next day. The cord was not okay when he was pulled out of me, they cut the cord right away, and there was no blood, and the placenta was already "old" and calcified in many many spots. That ultrasound that detected the problem was for size only.

The last ultrasound I had was with this last pregnancy, I was 11 weeks and 3 days, I had some brownish discharge, like old blood. I went in to double check everything was okay. Because of my size, I am a bigger momma, and being a bit earlier, we could not audibly hear the fetal doppler but it registered 179 bpm. The nurse practioner was reassured and said that she was confident everything was fine, but we would do an ultrasound just in case. I really really wanted to turn it down, BUT because of that ultrasound almost 5 years ago that saved my son's life, I went with it. Now my baby had a heartbeat at noon, I went in at 3 and there wasn't one. While it sounds morbid and whatever, I am grateful that we caught it within those windows of time because I was able to deal with this loss immediately rather than continue on with my pregnancy thinking everything was good.

So I tell 2 scary stories, not to scare the crap out of you, I hate when people share their horror stories with pregnant women, but I share them from one momma to another that there are these kinds of awesome technologies that really can be helpful and lifesaving. I am an au naturale type of momma, I have been pregnant 5x and have 4 live children, the first 2 being sections and the last 2 being vaginal non medicated births. I am a doula and a lactation consultant and would prefer to homebirth if it weren't for some health issues I have had, but a midwife will not take me on right now. So I would prefer no ultrasounds, BUT I know how awesome and life saving these things can be.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

This ^^

I'd much rather be safe and do it, than not do it and regret that decision later. Nothing bad can come of a U/S. It's not like an amino or something invasive. Good luck mama.

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

I also agree with the poster who said they are probably concerned more of IUGR due to blood clots. Growth scans are not just for big babes. They really can save babies lives, not just sentence women to unnecessary csections.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:29 AM   #16
crunch!910
Registered Users

If you are high risk, t hat is what these interventions are for. They were meant to be lifesaving. While yes, they are overused and used by care providers to manipulate low risk pregnant women into further unnecessary interventions for their own convenience, that doesn't sound like case here.

For sure, inform yourself! But it sounds like to me that there may be good reason for this U/S. (((hugs)))
Old 06-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #17
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OP, I think we aren't the right people to be asking if you need the ultrasound

"For size" is very vague, so I would just go in and ask what they are going to do with the information. I'd be weary of constant 'size' ultrasounds because then you can be bullied into the 'big baby' card. If they're using the information for something else, then that is a different story.

And to the PP, we actually don't know what lots and lots of ultrasounds will do to a fetus. 20 years ago docs were only doing 1 ultrasound, so we've determined that it is safe. We have no idea what doing 20 ultrasounds will do, we'll find out in probably 15 years if it actually has an effect.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #18
sonshinemama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks. You have all helped.

I did talk to my reg ob yesterday about the ultrasound and he said they're looking/watching for more than just size. That the person who told me that it was for size was probably just trying to simplify it for me.

Swagbucks - Let's earn together!
sonshinemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #19
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:

Urgh. Glad you got a good, informative answer from your doc. I hate it when they dumb stuff down so we can understand it. Why not trust that we're intelligent people and will ask questions if something's over our heads?

In any event - glad you're getting the care that's right for you. Wishing you an uneventful rest of your pregnancy!

*we're TTC again and hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think ultrasounds for size are ridiculous, because they're never totally accurate. I only plan to have 1 with my next kiddo (if all goes as planned, of course.) - around 20 weeks so I can know the sex and tell if his/her organs are developing properly. I would only get as many as you're comfortable with.