Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
mommynature
Registered Users
seller

What do you do with your old, old, done diapes?

I've got some kissaluvs diapers that have had it. They are DONE. they don't absorb much anymore and are thinning around the leg gussets. I also have some PUL Thirsties covers that are also DONE. They've all lived a nice life.

So what do you do with your diapes when they're done? I can recycle them through a textile recycling drop off nearby, but wondering if anyone has any better solutions?

Advertisement

mommynature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: What do you do with your old, old, done diapes?

I use the threadbare fitteds as grease and toss wipe ups. We do kitchen cloth. For really greasy messes I want something I can toss. Instead of buying paper towels for this purpose I use the old diapers. Our washer majorly leaked a greasy oily mess. I used the old diapers for this purpose.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would consider still listing them ffs and be really honest about them. If no one bites in a short amount of time I agree.. either use them for messes or recycle them if you think you will forget to use them for messes and they will continue to take up space.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had some BG with cracked pul but perfect elastic and aplix I kept a couple for swim diapers and offered the rest free but nobody wanted. After hanging on to them for months thinking I'd use them for parts I finally had to toss them. They took up way too much space. It hurt but I did all I could. They served their purpose and then some.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Mama_again_7
Registered Users
seller

I've actually been wondering the same thing. I dug out my totes full of diapers from my last baby (who is now 5). I had forgotten just how many diapers we saved!! We have 2 large totes full of diapers...one nothing but prefolds & flats and the other nothing but fitteds, mostly mutts. The prefolds and flats are still awesome, but a lot of the fitteds the elastic is pretty crunchy. I've read years ago about some people replacing the elastic. Do you ladies think it's worth it? Or do you think the fabrics will still be ok? Or is it time to let these diapers go?
Mama_again_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_again_7 View Post
I've actually been wondering the same thing. I dug out my totes full of diapers from my last baby (who is now 5). I had forgotten just how many diapers we saved!! We have 2 large totes full of diapers...one nothing but prefolds & flats and the other nothing but fitteds, mostly mutts. The prefolds and flats are still awesome, but a lot of the fitteds the elastic is pretty crunchy. I've read years ago about some people replacing the elastic. Do you ladies think it's worth it? Or do you think the fabrics will still be ok? Or is it time to let these diapers go?
As long as the fabric looks good it would be cheaper to replace the elastic than to buy new diapers.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

So far I've been stripping them for parts. Holey prefolds get used to stuff pockets. Pockets with bad PUL get the backs cut off and I can use the microfleece as a liner in fitteds. I've also cut off the fabric around snaps and sewn it onto other diapers, covers, clothes, whatever, for my own weird purposes.

I have a Crickets fitted and tonight realized the elastic was completely shot. I took out the soaker and I'll use it as a booster, and I think I'll cut off the wings and side of the diaper to make a play washcloth for my son.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
Juvanilla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
So far I've been stripping them for parts. Holey prefolds get used to stuff pockets. Pockets with bad PUL get the backs cut off and I can use the microfleece as a liner in fitteds. I've also cut off the fabric around snaps and sewn it onto other diapers, covers, clothes, whatever, for my own weird purposes.

I have a Crickets fitted and tonight realized the elastic was completely shot. I took out the soaker and I'll use it as a booster, and I think I'll cut off the wings and side of the diaper to make a play washcloth for my son.
You're amazing
Juvanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #9
srw.mutter
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post

That's so much work! And I'm pretty handy too

I personally would recycle them at the textile recycling center if you have one. We don't have any yet, but if I get there, that's what I'd do
srw.mutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:27 AM   #10
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw.mutter View Post
That's so much work! And I'm pretty handy too

I personally would recycle them at the textile recycling center if you have one. We don't have any yet, but if I get there, that's what I'd do
You assume that everything I do looks nice. Lol. When I say I cut off snaps and reuse them I mean that around midnight I get a bee in my bonnet, cut an oddish circle around the snaps, then whip-stitch them onto whatever random item I've concluded needs snaps.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote