Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Antibiotics - WWYD?

Ok, here's the short version:

DS has some kind of illness (won't bother getting into symptoms)...

Tuesday evening: Take him to the walk-in clinic and Dr says he has some kind of infection and tells us to give him the gross banana antibiotics. We start to do this, but he didn't sound at all like he knew what we was talking about.

Wednesday afternoon: Bring DS to our family doctor who says she sees no infection, so we stop the antibiotics but hang on to them.

Sunday morning: DS is worse, we bring him to the walk-in clinic again (different Dr) who says he has an infections (though a different one than previously thought) so start taking antibiotics again.

Monday morning: Back to family doctor who says she sees no (or very little) infection and would not recommend the antibiotics but since we've already started and stopped them, we should continue to give them to him and finish them.

I trust my family doctor completely, but I don't believe in giving drugs (especially antibiotics) unless it is absolutely necessary. FTR, he's already getting better, but not totally yet.

WWYD? Give the drugs or not?

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Antibiotics - WWYD?

I'd finish them. If there is an infection, you don't want to end up with a super infection.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Yeah I am no fan of antibiotics but I'd finish them in this case
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:12 AM   #4
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like the antibiotics are doing their job. When you take him off of them, he gets sick and some doc you take him to sees that he's sick. Then you put him on them and take him to your regular doc, but the infection is starting to clear from the antibiotics, so she doesn't see that he's sick. So, personally, I'd finish the course.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think your doctor is right as far as antibiotics are concerned. I would just go with what the doc says.

Also since he's taking antibiotics and killing off the good bacteria as well, give him probiotics to add good bacteria into his system. They're sold everywhere in many health food stores. It'll prevent if not reduce the chances of opposite stomach associated with using antibiotics. It's a regimen with us when we have to take antibiotics. There's a dosage rule though so make sure you read the directions. I believe you need four hour gap between the antibiotics and the probiotics.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree! I am not a fan of antibiotics either and avoid them if possible. However, once you start a regimen you HAVE to finish it. I would also give the probiotics as suggested above and continue to give them daily for a month or so after the course is over.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with most of the other posters. It seems to me that the urgent care doc is seeing an infection, and prescribing the antibiotics. By the time you get your DS to his regular pediatrician, the symptoms are gone and your doc isn't seeing anything wrong, so you stop the antibiotics. THEN because you didn't finish the antibiotics, the infection isn't totally gone, so it flares up again.

I am also one who doesn't give medicine often, but I think that in this case you should finish the antibiotics. I also think once the antibiotics are done, that you should start pro-biotics for about a month. My pediatrician recomends Flor-a-store for kids, but Culturell for kids is also a good one.

Good luck mama!
God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
uncertain
Registered Users
seller

Definitely finish the course that you've already started. I agree with everyone else that your doc isn't seeing the infection because the antibiotics are taking effect. At this point, a bacterial culture would be a good idea if you go back again (I would think that your doc would have done one when you went back in a second time, so if this ever comes up again you can always request that one be done).
uncertain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We like Florastor here too.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep I would finish. Not a big fan either of meds but if there is an infection you want to finish this course of medicine to kill it off. Not finishing them could result in the infection strengthening itself and becoming a super infection like pp mentioned.