Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lets talk about SOY and infants

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomma07 View Post
I think the issue with soy is the fact that we as Americans tend to overdo EVERYTHING. We hear something is good for you then we put it in everything-- turning it into a cheaply made over processed additive and stick it in everything (much like HFCS).

I would not worry about edamame--packed with protein, fiber, iron, a highly nutritious legume, especially for kiddos (my boys adore it). Balance is key. Certainly limit your processed soy intake (as you would with over processed food product). You can take anything good for you and make it unhealthy by overdoing it. Dairy, IMO, has much scarier health repercussions than soy...

We are a family of long time vegetarians and edamame is a staple in our house. We limit processed soy products (veggie burgers, etc.) and focus on a balanced, whole foods, plant based diet and we are all very healthy.
This is what I understood the issue to be exactly.

Both of our kids are milk protein allergic (as I am). As little babies, we had them on a homemade formula the basis for which was a coconut milk yogurt so we dodged the bullet of giving soy at a really young age. They were both BF'd for the 1st 6 weeks.

After DD, had liver failure, her gastro and nutritionist put her on a soy formula (Good Start) which we promptly changed over to Earth's Best soy (no GMOs) and we have been happy with it. Another one I'd use is Baby's Only.

As for regular milk, we use Flax milk or Almond milk. I like the flavor and the consistency much better than soy or rice or hemp, but it certainly depends on what is available to you at your local grocery so any of those is fine.

HTH...

Advertisement

Last edited by JAG's baby mama; 06-01-2011 at 10:40 AM.
JAG's baby mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledayz

How old is she? If she's under a year or just not a big eater she still needs formula. I use rice milk for cooking because I like the flavor better then other alternative. It tastes like skim milk so there isn't a difference in flavor really. DS is staying on his soy formula until he starts to eat a lot more table food.
She's 2.5, and eats more than her brothers, no need for formula. she's been on soy for about 4 months now. We had her on lactaid when we thought it was just an intolerance, but it's definitely a milk protein allergy.

Eta: I never heard of flax milk. Almond milk caused rashes just as bad as the lactaid and regular milk did, so I assumed it was from her nut allergy.
Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

Last edited by JeDeeLenae; 06-01-2011 at 10:43 AM.
JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
purpledayz
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae

She's 2.5, and eats more than her brothers, no need for formula. she's been on soy for about 4 months now. We had her on lactaid when we thought it was just an intolerance, but it's definitely a milk protein allergy.

You could even try goats milk. I saw some at kroger the other day and was tempted to try it out. DS can't have gluten, dairy, and possibly peanuts. So feeding him is a challenge! I'm excited to try the goat milk because if he's ok on that then he can eat cheese. Expensive cheese though lol.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledayz

You could even try goats milk. I saw some at kroger the other day and was tempted to try it out. DS can't have gluten, dairy, and possibly peanuts. So feeding him is a challenge! I'm excited to try the goat milk because if he's ok on that then he can eat cheese. Expensive cheese though lol.
My GI said we could try it, but it's similar to cow's milk, and she had a small reaction.

Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #15
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
Eta: I never heard of flax milk. Almond milk caused rashes just as bad as the lactaid and regular milk did, so I assumed it was from her nut allergy.
Here is a link.

We buy it from our local Wal-Mart.

It doesn't say whether or not it is nut-free, but try it out. Usually flax is a substitute when nuts are an allergy so it may work for you.

Yeah, DS didn't have an issue with goat's milk, but DD did so we stopped using it. Besides, I never liked the taste. At least I like the Flax milk.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #16
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
We avoid soy almost completely. I'm not militant about it, but I certainly wouldn't consume it more than occasionally based on the research I've done and doctors I've spoken to about it.

We use coconut milk (so delicious brand) as a dairy alternative because my YDD is sensitive to dairy in my diet.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #17
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
So what are alternatives? My DD has a milk protein allergy and a nut allergy, should I just switch her to rice milk?
Quote:
My GI said we could try it, but it's similar to cow's milk, and she had a small reaction.
Nothing. I'm lactose intolerant and I just don't drink milk. It's not in my vocabulary.
I am intrigued she had a reaction to goat. I have heard goat is very similar to human, and many many people (myself included) who can't handle dairy for whatever reason don't have an issue with goat.

I never understood why it's encouraged to sit down with a tall glass of milk. They are finding now that it's probably not a sound recommendation to push so much dairy. They are encouraging kids to drink skim (which I struggle with, I think 1/5 less of decent whole non processed dairy would be a better rec)

But, I am a dirty hippie. Plus I haven't found the nipples to milk my rice or almonds yet
Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #18
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think soy is technically OK in moderation. The problem is that soy is in EVERYTHING now, and is GM unless organic. If it's in everything IMO you've already kind of hit your quota before you even pull out the soymilk, formula or tofu. We're pretty much a soy free house, we avoid it if possible
Old 06-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #19
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to love soy. I loved tofu, and thought that I was being healthy by eating it. I was nearly vegetarian. I was also overweight, ate about 1600 calories a day, exercised 5 days a week (intense cardio) and could not lose weight. And then I learned that everything I thought I knew about diet is wrong.

Soy is really not a healthy food, especially in the quantites that Americans eat it in today. It is a myth that Soy was a common staple in Asian diets before the last century. Actually, soy was almost always fermented into soy sauce, natto, etc. The average Japanese person eats around 1/4 cup of soy per day, and most of that is in a fermented form.
As others have mentioned, soy in the US is almost always GMO, and often highly processed. Those two facts make it a good idea to avoid it for adults.

NEVER in the history of the world have BABIES been fed a processed, vegetarian diet in their formative years. I think soy formula is absolutely not good for babies. If I HAD to feed my baby formula, I would make a homemade formula using raw milk from a cow or goat, and adding supplements to it. Here is a recipe that I would consider-
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.c...-baby-formula/

Soy foods contain trypsin inhibitors that inhibit protein digestion and affect pancreatic function. In test animals, diets high in trypsin inhibitors led to stunted growth and pancreatic disorders. Soy foods increase the body's requirement for vitamin D, needed for strong bones and normal growth. Phytic acid in soy foods results in reduced bioavailabilty of iron and zinc which are required for the health and development of the brain and nervous system. Soy also lacks cholesterol, likewise essential for the development of the brain and nervous system. Megadoses of phytoestrogens in soy formula have been implicated in the current trend toward increasingly premature sexual development in girls and delayed or retarded sexual development in

From this site-
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-aler...alert-brochure
Old 06-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #20
llamabeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My DS2 (4) was soy formula fed (from BPA enriched bottles)and is fine.
I'm almost sure he's the only 1 out of my four who's got ADHD but I had it as a child, now have adult ADD and was breastfed til 15 mos.

Sent from my iPhone who loves to autocorrect "live" into "lube"