Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
trinalb
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ok To Wake, My Tot Clock or Gro-Clock?

If you have experience with any of these can you tell me how quickly and easily you can change the nap start/end time, or if it's a pain if the time varies each day? Also, can the light be set to turn off after a certain amount of time and not turn on again until the wake up time, or does it stay on all night? If it can't be turned off, can it go SUPER dim? DS seems to be extremely sensitive to light and won't go to sleep and will sometimes wake up if any light shines in the room -- we actually have to put foil on the window and a sheet around the door cracks to block outside light. What do you like/not like about it? Thanks!

Oh, and if you know of any deals on these or have one for sale, please spam me! It has to be available for shipping to Canada because that's where I am.

Advertisement

Norwex Independent Consultant | ISO Plus-size SSC, WCMT/HB w/ptw straps, L side-snap swim dipes & European wool clothing
trinalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok To Wake, My Tot Clock or Gro-Clock?

We have the OK to Wake clock. It serves it's purpose for us. We mostly use it for a nap timer at this point. I don't like the face. It is changeable, for girl or boy, but because of that, the face comes off a lot. It is annoying. I think the nap timer is easy to use and haven't had any issues with it, but my husband thinks it's hard to use. I'm not sure why though. I find it easy. Honestly, I don't pay attention to the light on it. We use it every day for a nap timer. My son doesn't have a set time he has to wake up or anything and has a different night light. Good luck finding what works.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have the My Tot Clock. Unlike the bedtime/wake times, the nap isn't set for a specific time of day. It is set for a specific duration. So you set if for an hour, for example, and then hit the nap button when you are ready for the nap to start. Changing the amount of time is pretty simple as well. I would caution you about the light though. There are 5 dimming levels for the light, or you can turn it off completely. But even the dimmest level is pretty darn bright in a dark room. You can opt to have the light off completely, but there is no timer for the light as far as I remember. You can't tell it to keep the light on for 10 minutes and then turn off. It is easy enough to turn it off manually, but you do have to manually turn it off if you no longer want it on.

Overall we like it just fine. The one qualm I have with it is that the analog clock runs slow sometimes. Since the digital clock on the back is the one that controls all the timing, it doesn't affect the function, but it is annoying to have to move it forward every once in a while. It isn't a matter of dead batteries either since we use the AC plug exclusively (the clock eats batteries in no time!). And I've heard a similar complaint from others so I'm not alone with that experience. Otherwise it works just fine. We don't use the stories or the white noise, and DD gave up naps long ago. We just use it for the daytime/nighttime lights. It allows DD to know that it is bedtime. She is more accepting of bedtime when she sees that the clock is blue. Instead of mom or dad insisting that it is bedtime, she can see for herself when she still has time to play and when it is time to get ready for bed. We occasionally use the green button as well to help her deal with time limits, like "You can do X activity until the green light goes off, and then we need to do something else." or "Dinner will be ready when the green light turns off". She doesn't get what we mean when we say dinner will be ready in 15 minutes, so having the clock allows her to understand it isn't ready yet because the light is still on. It helps curb frustration.

Overall, I'm happy enough with it even with its aforementioned quirks.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to add, the Okay to Wake does the nap timer the same as above, for a specific amount of time, not specific time of day.

As far as I know, there are not different levels of brightness on it though. The nightlight is very low, if I am remembering correctly. I'll check how bright in a couple of minutes.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

I looked into the tot clock, but it appears to be sold out or not being manufactured at the moment. I'll be subbing to hear other's recommendations.

Blame the typos on the iPad!
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
swingkid1975
Registered Users

What about plugging a night light into a regular lamp timer? That way you could change the time as needed and it would go out when you want it to.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
e-dub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have this one. http://www.stoplightclock.com/ I adore it. Works like a charm with my three preschoolers. You do have to change it if you want to use it for naps, but it's not difficult.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
trinalb
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the feedback ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho11yb View Post
I looked into the tot clock, but it appears to be sold out or not being manufactured at the moment. I'll be subbing to hear other's recommendations.
Apparently they're just out of stock at the moment. They aren't available in Canada yet, though, so my only hope of getting a My Tot Clock is if I can find a used one. Disappointing since, from my research, it looks like the best choice of the bunch. Plus, after looking at photos of them, DS announced that he likes that one best, "because it has a handle!"

Anyone have experience with the Gro-Clock? I would love to know how it compares to the Ok To Wake, and how the nap timer is to set. I think DS would really like the sun/stars on the Gro-Clock but I am leaning toward the Ok To Wake because I get the impression it would be less of a pain to set...

Norwex Independent Consultant | ISO Plus-size SSC, WCMT/HB w/ptw straps, L side-snap swim dipes & European wool clothing
Old 05-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

I love our Tot Clock. My husband, deeply skeptical of yet another of my baby-related gadgets, agrees now that it was the best $50 we've ever spent. If you are on Facebook, there is a "My Tot Clock" fan club, and I believe that is where the most current information can be found. They did just recently list 20 used clocks, but they sold out crazy fast.

Edited to add:
We use it for everything. Little dude is almost religiously respectful of the clock. He uses it's colors as shorthand.

First thing in the the morning, it's "clock yellow! Wake up!" If he tells me "clock red" and climbs into the playpen, I know he thinks he's in trouble. "Clock green" apparently means "I wish to color", since that is how Norah gets him to play by himself for short stretches of time. The other day, we were at a christening party, out past bedtime, and he climbed onto my lap, put his head on my shoulder, and sighed "clock blue". If he wants a nap, but can't quite bring himself to say so explicitly, he'll look at the clock and whisper "light blue".

I kind of feel like he's a little brainwashed by the clock, but there is no denying that it makes life easier foreveryone now that he is able to block up his day by color. I really think that having a hard time gauging the passage of time made him anxious.

Last edited by Sleep deprived; 05-26-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #10
trinalb
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! I really would like to get a My Tot Clock but that doesn't seem to be possible here in Canada. I love the sun/stars on the Gro-Clock but it seems like the nap feature might be a pain to change, so I decided on an Ok To Wake clock. Hopefully it will work for us! I am hoping it arrives soon.