Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
gbird1
Registered Users

My Mood:
Tapering off an oversupply--any advice??

Hey all, I have a huge oversupply and am tired of pumping! I started pumping cuz my son was in the NICU but now he is nursing great, just doesn't need what I have. I don't mind a little bit of pumping, but my stash of frozen breastmilk is taking over and Im sick of staying up later to pump and wash all the attachments etc.

Any advice on how fast (or slow) to taper off? IT's hard, bc when I don't pump, I get so full that my son has a hard time latching on, so it's kind of a fine line. Id appreciate any input, thank you!!

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011, 02:58 AM   #2
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tapering off an oversupply--any advice??

I would say start by decreasing the length of time you pump during each pumping session. For instance: If you pump 10 minutes on each side, reduce that down to 7 minutes.
Then start pumping to only relieve engorgement.
acwakip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:42 AM   #3
poskozim
Registered Users
seller

I agree, try to start pumping to comfort only. (Hence why I am up at 4:30 am!) My DS sometimes eats at night and sometimes not so much, he is 9 weeks old. However, when he skips, I leak milk everywhere unless I get up and pump. I try to pump only 2 ounces out of each side so that I am not triggering my body into thinking this was a feeding and to make more. I have been told that my milk should start to slow down in the next couple of weeks, we shall see
poskozim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with pumping or just expressing to comfort. Also, if you're too engorged for him to latch you can try using the "nipple place holder" for the bottle cap (its like a flat disk) and push it on your nipple for 30-45 seconds. It pushes the milk back up the ducts and softens the nipple and areola. Or you can massage the areola in a circle using your finger tips.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by poskozim View Post
I agree, try to start pumping to comfort only. (Hence why I am up at 4:30 am!) My DS sometimes eats at night and sometimes not so much, he is 9 weeks old. However, when he skips, I leak milk everywhere unless I get up and pump. I try to pump only 2 ounces out of each side so that I am not triggering my body into thinking this was a feeding and to make more. I have been told that my milk should start to slow down in the next couple of weeks, we shall see
I was doing what you are doing and I talked to an IBCLC and she said "that's too much". She said to only pump 1 oz at most. Less would be better to get a handle on the over supply. Also, pumping is much more stimulating than hand expression. Just an idea.

My milk production was so "over zealous" that I had to stop pumping completely so that my body would slow down.

If its really extreme you can put a cabbage leaf over your breast, in your bra for about 10-15 minutes and that will reduce milk production but be super careful with this... it works REALLY well.

ETA: Oh! And block feeding really helped, too! Plus, have you considered one-sided nursing? We actually still do block feeding & one sided nursing and LO is almost 6 months old. And he is well fed - lol 16.5 lbs at 5 months! I swear I could be a dairy...

What people tell you about it regulating around 8-12 wks is not necessarily true with oversupply (regular supply, yes). I was told by an IBCLC to expect regulation closer to 6-9 months. We're still waiting...

Here is a great link on Oversupply and what you can do about it: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Hope it helps! GL!

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 05-29-2011 at 05:41 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:48 AM   #6
alisha_roseleip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The other suggestion I was given was to eat two altoids a day and it helped a ton. Just make sure to stop when you are getting close to leveling out your supply because it really did make a big difference on my oversupply quickly coming out of the NICU. I ended up stuggling to get mine back up because they worked so well.
It is not out of meanness or rudeness but it is not yours unless you ask for paypal address or you ask me to hold it for you because we are working on a deal. Asking for more pics does not mean we are in the middle of a deal
alisha_roseleip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
Teegan'sMom
Registered Users
seller

I agree with a pp about reducing the amount of time you pump gradually... I was pumping in the night for many months... I kept it up for quite a while WANTING to build a stockpile for the freezer, but then I had to slowly work my way down to no night pumping. At one point I was double pumping for over 20 minutes. I stepped down to 15 for a week, then 10, then five, and then switched to pumping for five minutes RIGHT before bed, and then stopped completely. It took a while, but based on past experience I know I would have ended up with a plugged duct if had done it any other way...
Teegan'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
Levi_Elizabeth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had this problem with my first son and I agree with Teegan's mom- do what makes you feel most comfortable. So if it hurts too much to be engorged or baby won't latch then pump to comfort. If you can take it pump as little as possible or just self express to comfort. But the point is eventually you will get less milk, eventually you will regulate, even if it is 6-9 months, for me it was 9 months and I ended up donating milk to the milk bank. But if you don't have time to pump or don't want to and you can take the engorgement then reduce as you can.
Good Luck! And what a blessing to have plenty of milk!