Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

1 yr old w/ lots of teeth-how to brush them

I've been letting her chew on the tooth brush but we have tried holding her down and actually brushing them. Should we continue doing that or is her chewing on the toothbrush enough for now?

Advertisement

hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Huh..not sure if letting her chew on it is enough but its better than nothing. We started brushing DS's teeth after the first one came in...about 6ish months. We also sing a tooth brushing song we made up. It makes it fun for DS. He really enjoys getting his teeth brushed now ( well unless he's cutting more and then he doesn't want us anywhere near his mouth....GL
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
an_aurora
Registered Users

At that age I lay them across my lap with their head hanging off, and tickle. They laugh and I have good access to their teeth. I also let them try themselves before I brush. A electric toothbrush with the rotating bristles is fun for them and they try to stop it with their teeth which gets them scrubbed. I say 'open and let me see those big boy teeth' and scrub if they let me, but if not then I lay them across my lap to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Re: 1 yr old w/ lots of teeth-how to brush them

Interested in hearing too. Right now we let ds chew on his brush while we brush our own.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to sit on the floorwith my legs open and lay the baby/toddler between my legs, so they look up at me their feet point in the same direction as mine. it's easier to control them and the brush this way. Tooth brushing is none negotiable I'd rather they just get used to it than have to have cavities filled by kindergarten. If they keep moving I stick their arms under my legs and keep them still.
It's really fast and they get the hang of it quickly.
Oh and for some reason they all liked it when I made motor noises while doing the brushing
Old 06-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
jeepmom
Registered Users
seller

My dentist does not recommend electric toothbrushes until at least 4 years old (I use one myself).
I sit on the floor with her back against my chest, hold her chin in my left hand, and brush (16 mo and 12 teeth). Then I let her brush as well. She doesnèt like it but isnt too upset.
jeepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Erinne
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
I used to sit on the floorwith my legs open and lay the baby/toddler between my legs, so they look up at me their feet point in the same direction as mine. it's easier to control them and the brush this way. Tooth brushing is none negotiable I'd rather they just get used to it than have to have cavities filled by kindergarten. If they keep moving I stick their arms under my legs and keep them still.
It's really fast and they get the hang of it quickly.
Oh and for some reason they all liked it when I made motor noises while doing the brushing
That's what I do. My dd had cavities by her first birthday, obviously, more to do with genetics than hygiene, but we are obsessive about brushing her teeth.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinne View Post
That's what I do. My dd had cavities by her first birthday, obviously, more to do with genetics than hygiene, but we are obsessive about brushing her teeth.
I've always wondered how genetics played into it. My sister and I (27 and 21 years old) have never had a cavity and I don't think my mom was on top of our teeth brushing (and she just let us chew on the tooth brush). My DH however has had tons of cavities and so have his siblings.

I brushed her teeth in the bathtub tonight and she did alright. I'll start these other techniques tomorrow night.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

After lots of fights with DS, we started asking him to brush his own teeth, and then we "help" get them actually brushed. Since hes more in control of it, we have fewer fights. Hell usually do the bottom teeth, then we rotate the brush and hell open for us to do the top and back teeth. Our dentist says usually you have at most 10-15 seconds so do the best you can at this age in a coup,e second increments.

Blame the typos on the iPad!
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD's the same age as yours, Hilary. We've been brushing her teeth since just before her birthday. We have an infant toothbrush, so super soft w/ a gum massager on the other side, & training toothpaste. She likes the toothpaste, it tastes good. We let her sit on the bathroom vanity & she looks at herself in the mirror & lets me brush her teeth as we sing our made-up toothbrushing song. Then I let "Ellie do" & she munches on the brush for a few minutes. After a few months, she has actually started a little back & forth motion w/ the brush . She only has about 8 teeth, & I think the brushing actually feels good on her poor gums . She especially loves to have her tongue brushed.