Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Lets talk about SOY and infants

So, its recently come to my attention (after feeding my LO a couple servings of organic soybeans/week for the past month or two) that there is a lot of controversy about feeding infants soy/soy formula/soy products. Its supposedly connected to a lot of issues from diabetes to developmental problems to sterility. In the reading, I wasnt sure if it was soy formula (a lot talked about soy formula), GMO soy or just soy PERIOD. But, Im writing to ask if anyone else has heard this? Could you clarify what your take is on the research?

Advertisement

Last edited by amb2j; 06-01-2011 at 01:59 PM.
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Lets talk about SOY and infants

I was soy formula fed, and don't have any of the problems you listed. I haven't looked into it too much, because both of my kids are breast fed. I know you can buy kids packs (similar to fruit snacks) of soy beans in the freezer section though. Not to say that means it is totally safe, just putting it out there.
MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I was soy formula fed too...no issues listed. I have a vegan friend soy formula feeding her babe who is healthy. But, looking longitudinally and at a larger sample, anyone heard any differently?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well one concern in the estrogen like compounds in soy. There is concern it could spur early puberty, or feminine traits in boys possibly sterility.

I unprofessional opinion. I think its like anything else, you shouldn't have too much. Like I was vegetarian eating a lot of soy, milk, tvp, enamame, fake meats etc. And I have pcos and I believe the soy made it worse. I wasn't having periods, and had to eliminate soy while ttc.

I would be very concerned about soy formula. I u derstand babies can't process milk sometimes, moms can't always bf, and donor milk is difficult/e/pe five etc. But.... I du no just doesn't sit right w/ me.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
twinmomma07
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think the issue with soy is the fact that we as Americans tend to overdo EVERYTHING. We hear something is good for you then we put it in everything-- turning it into a cheaply made over processed additive and stick it in everything (much like HFCS).

I would not worry about edamame--packed with protein, fiber, iron, a highly nutritious legume, especially for kiddos (my boys adore it). Balance is key. Certainly limit your processed soy intake (as you would with over processed food product). You can take anything good for you and make it unhealthy by overdoing it. Dairy, IMO, has much scarier health repercussions than soy...

We are a family of long time vegetarians and edamame is a staple in our house. We limit processed soy products (veggie burgers, etc.) and focus on a balanced, whole foods, plant based diet and we are all very healthy.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
purpledayz
Registered Users

I've heard the issue was just GMO soy. Other countries eat huge amounts of soy without issue. Americans are having issues and most of our soy is GMO.

I try to make sure soy products in this house are organic. DS eats a very nicely priced organic soy formula.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
My ODS was fed soy formula as an infant. He later developed Type 1 Diabetes at 3.5yo. YDS was fed Nutramigen (never a drop of soy formula) and I was told this or Alumentium(sp) was the best formula to give him due to that history of ODS having T1. YDS was diagnosed at his 1 year well baby visit. I had beat myself up for years for doing the soy for ODS. When YDS was diagnosed that guilt evaporated. It was hereditary & not my fault at all.

Everything in moderation.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So what are alternatives? My DD has a milk protein allergy and a nut allergy, should I just switch her to rice milk?

Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not only over 91% of soy in the US is GMO the amount of pesticides and chemicals used to make (probably the biggest problem) these crops really make them question the actual state of food itself before it's processed. The soy and estrogen is a big myth; it's political and really makes no sense as you need other chemical reaction in order for it to actually work as 'actual' estrogen in the body.

But with that said there are organic soy formulas and other good source of quality protein like goat's milk you might want to check into
Old 06-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
purpledayz
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae
So what are alternatives? My DD has a milk protein allergy and a nut allergy, should I just switch her to rice milk?

How old is she? If she's under a year or just not a big eater she still needs formula. I use rice milk for cooking because I like the flavor better then other alternative. It tastes like skim milk so there isn't a difference in flavor really. DS is staying on his soy formula until he starts to eat a lot more table food.