Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Maybe the parent is just confused. The promotion ceremony for DS is scheduled from 9:20 - 9:40. They give some awards and the class sings our does a small play and they go back to class. Perhaps calling it a graduation is more the parents than the school.

Advertisement

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
smom050811
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's up with all the "graduations" from everything?

I don't know. I think kindergarten graduation is great. My son had a Pre-k graduation, but that's at Head Start, where he's graduating away from the program, so to speak. He really didn't care, but he liked to learn the program and sing the songs! We had cake and ice cream at home. Next year, we'll probably take him out to dinner. I think it's a cute idea. But to have a full on party for it is a little much. There's nothing like graduation HS!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle. - Plato
smom050811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
natmarie6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think Pre-K graduation is alright. My DS had one and it was cute. Kindergarten, hmmm...maybe cute. My DS is not having one, but my SO's DS is, so it must be different everywhere.

Other than that, I agree. Seems a little over the top.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
ClemsonMama87
Registered Users
Formerly: macsmommy10
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smom050811
I don't know. I think kindergarten graduation is great. My son had a Pre-k graduation, but that's at Head Start, where he's graduating away from the program, so to speak. He really didn't care, but he liked to learn the program and sing the songs! We had cake and ice cream at home. Next year, we'll probably take him out to dinner. I think it's a cute idea. But to have a full on party for it is a little much. There's nothing like graduation HS!
I had a Head Start graduation too (20 years ago)! And I still have my cap & gown Anyway, I think all the graduations can get out of hand. In my small town, we had one in 3rd grade (primary to intermediate school, 6th (int. to middle), 8th (middle to high) and then HS of course. However, I agree with the PP with the fact that I think this is more for celebrating the fact that the kids are moving to the next grade because many don't because of grades or babies (both very common in honetown).

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I call it the 'special snowflake' syndrome. It is ridiculous and detrimental how children are constantly encouraged to feel that every little thing they do is worthy of a major celebration. Isn't that what birthdays are for?

footnote: the special snowflake term is not mine, I just adore it and use it regularly.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #16
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it makes sense if the child is moving from one school to the next-preschool to big school, private kindy to elementary, elementary to intermediate, intermediate to middle, middle to high.

I know the private Catholic schools around here have "moving up" day that is a big celebration.

Some people just like any excuse to celebrate and have a party. Completing a year in school is at least a reason.

Then again, no one ever threw me any sort of graduation party ever. We went out to eat with the family and I went to someone else's party.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #17
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I think the pre-school/kindergarten graduations are cute. To me, they are called graduations, but really they are more about a celebration of the end of the school year. Especially when they are for classes that aren't part of a larger elementary school. They get their cool little cap and gown to feel like a big kid and I don't know that most preschoolers or kindergarteners really feel like it's any sort of celebration of some huge accomplishment.

High school and college graduations (even community college) should be a bigger deal, IMO. High school is the end of your required school career. And college is of course a huge accomplishment. I even think community college and vocational school graduations are a big deal.

But, 6th grade, to go into middle school, 8th grade, going into high school, not so much. And, someone does a 3rd grade grad? What is that all about.

In our school district, elementary goes to 4th grade, intermediate school is 5th and 6th, middle is 7th and 8th, then high school is 9-12. But, they don't do real graduations. They DO do an end of the year assembly and awards ceremony, where they award things like perfect attendance, citizenship awards etc. And I am ok with those. But there no "graduation" or certificates or walking across the stage or anything.
happysmileylady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #18
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekat1032 View Post
I think Kindergarten and preschool graduations are ridiculous. What makes those years any more special than the rest? And a third grade graduation? I don't get it.
I see graduations as celebrating an end to something and starting a new. So Preschool ones make sense, starting "real" school. Kindergarten, I agree I don't get it. 5th grade is graduated here as you go to middle school/the high school's jr high. 8th grad is done to as you start High school. Then of course HS graduation and then College.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #19
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have no problem with a school doing something for the last year of preschool and kindergarten. It is moving on and marking the end of one period. Heck even in my day they did a little "graduation" from kindergarten and preschool.

Throwing a big party like it is a high school graduation is a little over the top but a small thing at the school and something small like taking them out to eat or having a grandparent over is fine. It isn't on the same scale as graduating from high school but moving on from preschool and kindergarten is moving on to a new stage.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 06-02-2011 at 11:54 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I was in school, there was a kindergarten graduation. A 6th grade grad, an 8th grade grad then of course high school.

We didn't have any parties. Just family going out to dinner and celebrating.

3rd grade grad is just silly and pointless.
God bless

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote