Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #21
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: What's up with all the "graduations" from everything?

The only one I ever had was high school graduation. And I graduated on Dec 21st right before holiday break, so I was the only one graduating. I walked down a hall and everyone clapped. Then I punched my time card, walked out to my car, and met my boyfriend for lunch.

My elementary had graduation every year for the 6th graders leaving for middle school. Well, not really a grad, but an appreciation/farewell breakfast. I think they all got certificates though. My class didn't though, because we were the first ever 5th graders to move up to the middle school for 6th grade. So they pretty much just blew us off, lol

Advertisement

MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #22
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I like the "special snowflake" quote, that about sums it up.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #23
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
I call it the 'special snowflake' syndrome. It is ridiculous and detrimental how children are constantly encouraged to feel that every little thing they do is worthy of a major celebration.
yes, exactly! If you really do accomplish something special (even if it's "normal" but special for you, like you learn to ride a bike with one leg or something) THEN everyone will be pumped and rally behind you and be supportive.
Otherwise, you're just doing what needs to be done in life, and you should be pleased with the natural results (ie, moving up a grade, eating a tomato you grew yourself, not having a dirty bum because you can wipe your own arse)
This kind of thing leads to the adults that want acknowledgment for everything they do. I've worked with so many of these people. "I have to work all day, then go home and clean, make dinner, take the kids to some place, and all for what" What do you want, a prize? Cookie perhaps? You do those things otherwise you wouldn't have a house to go to, dinner on the table and your kids would be neglected because you didn't do whatever. THAT'S "for what", snowflake.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #24
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet4 View Post
I've often wondered about this myself. I graduated from HS and university; not every time I moved up to the next school. To me it falls in the same category as sports leagues for elem kids who give out trophies to every kid on the team no matter how well the team or kid did. How do we teach our kids the real value of truly achieving when they are given trophies & awards for just showing up?
Agreed. The result will be adults who expect recognition and praise for every little thing they do. Annoying.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #25
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't get it either.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #26
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

In the words of Mr. Incredible, " It's psychotic! They keep creating new ways to celebrate mediocrity..."

Last edited by Kiliki; 06-02-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #27
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
I don't get the kindy and grade 3 grad. We had an grade 8 grad since the schools here are structured with a great number if little community jk-5 schools feeding into one middle school, and then the middle school feeds the 4 high schools, so a lot of the grade 8 kids are going their separate ways. With the lower schools, you might be leaving, but you're all going together. I did live in one district where k-2 was in a separate primary school, but it directly fed a different elementary.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #28
flintgirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

Graduating from pre-k, kindergarten, high school, and college yeah. Anything else is just stupid.

When Noah graduated from pre-k and kindergarten we had a small family party with cake and ice cream and that was it. No gifts.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #29
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some schools transition from Elementary to Intermediate between 3rd and 4th grades, so the child would be physically leaving one school (thus graduating from Elementary school at the end of 3rd grade) and going to a new one.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #30
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

don't get me started!! I don't even think high school graduation is a big deal.... come on!!! that is a standard! you should graduate high school, you get no congrats from me. College, yes, because not everyone does that.