Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #31
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What's up with all the "graduations" from everything?

I'm on board for a graduation when you're moving up to another school -- Preschool, 5th grade (or 4th or whatever), 8th (or whichever grade ends your middle school/jr high), and HS. Those are HUGE deals at those ages, and I remember how PROUD I felt at my 5th grade graduation -- we put on a huge program, choreographed music, received DARE certificates (pretty big going into middle school), got awards for things like perfect attendance and honor roll and physical fitness, it was a BIG deal! I was so proud and so excited to move on to middle school. We were also a little scared to all be separated from our friends and do the locker/schedule/bell thing (you know, you hear horror stories from all the bigger kids about getting shoved in lockers and your bra strap snapped).

My 8th grade graduation was another more awards ceremony for kids that had done sports, jazz and pep band, painted murals, participated on academic teams, science fair, battle of the books, and so on. Then after we had our first "dressy" dance at night with a DJ (all the other dances were after school) and they decorated the cafeteria. We all felt SO grown up, and then after I had a huge pool party to celebrate going on to high school, where we'd all be mixed up again.

Then of course there's HS graduation which was the only one where I had an open house.

No graduation from comm. college, and by the time I walked from college I had been graduated for a year (walked with DH ) and we just did a family luncheon after. Maybe when I finally get my master's. But I still look back on those graduation programs with a sense of pride and accomplishment and memories of my great friends.

Advertisement

B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #32
JoeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am surprised so many people are annoyed by these "graduations."

My son just graduated from preschool, and it was the cutest thing ever.
They sang a few songs, got a diploma and somee cake a punch. It was fun for the kids, parents and teachers.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #33
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

I remember my kindergarten graduation, it would have been 24 years ago. It was cute. There was a program at school and we all did nursery rhymes (I was the little lamb from Mary had a Little Lamb) and we sang a song at the end of it (which I still remember the words to). There may have been other grades doing something too, might have been like a spring program, then again maybe not because I don't remember doing it other years I was there. It was a nice little program though and since this was at a time before preschool, a lot of us had started school that year for the first time so it was kind of a big deal.

I had a sixth grade graduation but it wasn't anything major, just part of the end of the year thing and it was a big deal because that year was the FIRST year that sixth graders graduated. I went to a Catholic school and when I first started, it went from grades k-8 but then the middle school was built and grades 7 and 8 went over there leaving the 6th graders as the oldest which was a pretty big deal!

Eighth grade graduation was more drawn out (and ironically, there was more of a deal done with that one in my family than my high school graduation and I can't for the life of me remember why now because my older sibs had a big deal made out of their high school graduation but then, a lot of things changed by the time I turned 18) and done at one of the Catholic Churches but I don't remember it all that much. And then high school was the really big one with the cap and gown and held at the local community center with pomp and circumstance and all that jazz but again, I don't remember much being done at home. I'm trying to recall if I even got a cake for it. Then again, my memory of it may not be all that clear because I was focusing more on the fact that my boyfriend (future DH) and I became engaged to be engaged kind of thing. Looking back, you have to wonder what idiot proposes to his girlfriend the weekend she graduates from high school but then, I do know someone who proposed to his girlfriend in front of everyone at prom.

I graduated class of 99 which was kind of cool, being that last class of the 1900s and of the 1000s. lol
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #34
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeysMomma View Post

They sang a few songs, got a diploma and somee cake a punch. It was fun for the kids, parents and teachers.

Same here. IMO a few are unnecessary..but that's just me. When I was in school we had kindergarten and high school that was it. Yes we SHOULD graduate high school it is standard..but i see no reason why NOT to celebrate that you just accomplished a big thing in life, now you are about to embark the next big thing..college.

My boys preK last week had what they call a 'bridging over ceremony'. GA preK is now not allowed to do a 'graduation' persay but the teachers in the discussion were just calling it a graduation..but the program itself was a bridging over ceremony -now you are about to start real school. They had homemade caps with tassells...it was pretty cute, and of course I'm biased as it was my son ....when you're in the moment and it's your child sometimes all the hogwash goes out the door . Regardless of what you thought of previously - especially if your child is having fun in the moment. But i'm having to work full time and don't get to be a part of much as it is...and am very involved in what L does in school - so if they are going to through a preK party - i'm going to be there for him, silly or not.

I can't decide on kindergarten...I had one and I know it's common for a lot of schools. But 3rd, 5th 8th and all that is a bit much IMO.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #35
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeysMomma View Post

that sounds like a school thing, like on the last day, you had cake and punch. Which is great, and very cute for the parents.
I've been getting invitations from friends inviting me to their childs "graduation" from whatever. K and 8 seems to be the ones around here. One kid for 8th grade grad had one of those papers in her graduation announcement/invitation that she was registered at Target. I just stared at it like "registered for what at target..." Seriously the only thing I could think of was she was also pregnant (excellent little mirror on the kids in my area eh? That an 8th grader being pregnant isn't strange to me)
DH had to fill me in. I looked it up online, and lo and behold, she wants the Justin Beiber CD, some bedding and school supplies for next year. no. I don't think so.
I will get her Justin Beiber for her birthday, but not because she's going from the Middle school building to the HS building. no.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #36
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
that sounds like a school thing, like on the last day, you had cake and punch. Which is great, and very cute for the parents.
I've been getting invitations from friends inviting me to their childs "graduation" from whatever. K and 8 seems to be the ones around here. One kid for 8th grade grad had one of those papers in her graduation announcement/invitation that she was registered at Target. I just stared at it like "registered for what at target..." Seriously the only thing I could think of was she was also pregnant (excellent little mirror on the kids in my area eh? That an 8th grader being pregnant isn't strange to me)
DH had to fill me in. I looked it up online, and lo and behold, she wants the Justin Beiber CD, some bedding and school supplies for next year. no. I don't think so.
I will get her Justin Beiber for her birthday, but not because she's going from the Middle school building to the HS building. no.
yikes!! the whole registry in 8th grade would throw me off big time
Old 06-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #37
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
Registry for graduation? That's a new one!
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #38
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Registry for graduation is just..um..well..tacky greedy.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #39
JoeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket

Oh man!

I don't think it's ever appropriate for a registry for any graduation!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #40
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is in second grade and never had a graduation ceremony, not in preschool, kindergarten and he is about to move to a new school, but they do awards ceremonies where they give the kids an academic award and a lifeskills award. His were the literary fluency reading award and P.E. I like that they do the awards, but I also see it is as labeling the kids pretty young. I agree all the graduations are over the top. I don't get kindergarten graduations at all.