Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: talk to me about infants at the pool

I would NEVER put my kid's head under!

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Those swim classes are wonderful for people who live in high drowning areas. I live in a neighborhood where 2/3 of my neighbors have a pool. So, teaching kids to swim is important. Plus, it's only June, and I think we've had 16 drowning deaths since January.

But, if you live in an area where you'll only be playing in splash pools or occasionally in a big pool, I wouldn't worry about putting his head under this young.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just signed up for swim lessons! Starts saturday at 9am, I can't wait. We have a neighborhood pool and so does one of his grandmas - where we are going today - so I think it's important for him to be comfortable with it. My neice took lessons when she was 6mo and she's 3 now and can't wait to go off the diving board even though she can't swim yet. hehe.

I figure I can judge how comfortable he is and go from there.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

We "dunked" our kids early, being big "water people" and we needed to lifejacket train our ODS at a few months old to go boating. HOWEVER, it's not for everyone, you really need to work up to it and make sure your LO is comfortable in the water (like training a dog, you don't have them jumping through hoops at the first session).

If I were YOU I would not dunk your LO, for a first pool session of the season. Splash, play, blow bubbles, and just have fun. Your goal in going is to have fun, not teach.
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
SylvieP
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did swimming lessons with DS at 8 months and they taught us to dunk their heads with the blowing in the face method and counting to three...

By the third lesson if you counted to three in the pool he would close his eyes and hold his breath.

HE still loves water and dunking his head.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #16
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

Like escapethevillage, I have drowning concerns. We live right next to a major river and our favorite park is there. I have to keep a sharp eye on DS to keep him from trotting right into the river after the geese. I'm not comfortable waiting for him to learn to swim on his own time frame, so we started lessons as soon as they would admit him. (5 months) Despite what DS seems to think now, he's not yet ready to swim on his own, but I feel better now that the building blocks are in place. I assure you, a swift dip in the water here and there has not traumatized him for life but been extremely beneficial.

His father, bless him, still promptly blows out all his air if he gets a dunking, then wonders why he sinks like a stone in a pool. (DH is afraid of water and can't swim. One of our deals is that I teach DS not to fear water, and DH will teach him not to fear needles.)
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote