Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

Re: First timer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
dDc crashing. Nothing is completly safe during prenancy. There are lots of side effects with zofran. I have used it for 4 pregnancies now and there is a small risk of heart issues in fetuses. I still took it, because my risk of having complications from severe morning sickness was worse than the medication itself. Also zofran only seems to work for most women in 1-2 pregnancies. It did squat for me with my 3rd and 4th HG pregnancies.

OP. I am glad it is working for you. There is nothing worse than being sick when pregnant.
Mama, do you happen to have a link to studies about the safety of zofran? I just googled and didn't find anything about it causing fetal heart issues. I am genuinely wanting to know, because I do take zofran on my bad days - but if I see evidence that it can be harmful, I may try to really restrict my use of it even more. Thanks!!

Advertisement

sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
vittoriosmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It all normal mama! With my first pregnancy I went to the ER because I thought the cramping was a sign of mc and it was nothing...
I find that dehydration WILL make you cramp more so DRINK A LOT!!! Water is the best.

You will be perfectly fine.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasra_nu

Mama, do you happen to have a link to studies about the safety of zofran? I just googled and didn't find anything about it causing fetal heart issues. I am genuinely wanting to know, because I do take zofran on my bad days - but if I see evidence that it can be harmful, I may try to really restrict my use of it even more. Thanks!!
I will grab a link when I get to my computer. I am on my phone.

My peri last time said he has seen an increase in fetal heart issue in women that have used zofran long term. My daughter had a heart defect in my last pregnancy and we link it to zofran use for over 12 weeks. She is fine now with an innocent murmer. If you google zofran and fetal heart issues a few stories come up. That in NO way means that if you need zofran to not use it. I have used it minimally this pregnancy but it doesnt work for me
Anymore so its a moot point.

It was rated C when i was pregnant
With my son and is now a B drug. But no long term studies have been done in pregnancy or on the fetuses.

I have used phenegran as well and that carries risks too. My point in posting is that no medications while pregnant are nursing can be completly risk free. Side effects and allegic reactions being number one. There is a mama on here due in august that has fainting spells while taking zofran and many mamas have been to the ER with delilatating constipation even with the use of softeners and enemas. . I am one of them.

Again. I am sure the benefits outweigh the risks for the OP or her doctor would not prescribe it. The same in my case. I am 13 weeks and down 20 pounds and have GD as well. Ita awful to live with this illness.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
VeryNervous
Registered Users

So... How often should I take the Zofran? I haven't felt well enough to even work until today that I started taking it. I don't get just morning sickness I am sick 24 hours of the day. For the about 4 days I would even wake up in the middle of the night to vomit. That is what caused me to go into the hospital. Since I do not know very much about being pregnant I am very worried. Should I just try to trek through it for the rest of my first trimester I am 7 w today so I suppose I am half way there. Also... If I do get constipated does anyone have any ideas how to relieve it? Lol...Awkward question, but hey I'm pretty sure you all know better then me. Could that be why I am cramping so bad? I know I probably do not drink as much water as I should be, but I'm not too sure what is recomended. I mainly drink decaf teas.
VeryNervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #15
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just my 2cents, but if you're that sick, I think you *need* the Zofran. I don't know what the rec. dosage is, but if you need one a day to function, then I would do it. But obviously you have to weigh the small possibility of side effects.

I can't remember how much water (decaf teas should be fine too), but I'd say probably more than you think. I'd start keeping some sort of water bottle with you at all times and try to drink it every couple hours and refill. You'll know you're drinking enough when you have to pee every 15min! LOL

The water will help with the constipation, but it may not be enough. Stool softeners with colace (SP?) are safe for pg . . .but make sure it's a stool softener and not a laxative! You could also try a fiber additive like Metamucil or a natural one like phsyllium husk (although I personally cannot choke that stuff down). And generally try to eat a lot of fiber. . .fruit, beans, whole grains, fiber cereals. Dairy products can be constipating so consider reducing those, so can bananas for some people.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
VeryNervous
Registered Users

LOL.....That should be no problem I'm Hispanic I eat beans every day!!! So subsituting tea for water is NOT a bad thing I thought it might be. Today is the first day I have taken the Zofran and I've been takeing it every 4 hours to avaoid getting sick. My midwife asked me to do it every 4 hrs for the next week or 2 and then go to every 6 to 8 hours. Is that normal or should I try for fewer a day? I am just afraid to go back to being as sick as I was a few days ago. That can't be good for my baby either.
VeryNervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #17
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't really know much about Zofran and have never taken it. . .but if your MW rec. that dosage I'd say it's fine. And as you say, being so sick you can't keep anything down isn't good for your baby either! Once you get things under control I bet you can wean back on the Zofran and try other methods (B6, eating small regular meal/snacks every couple hours, ginger, etc.) that may help you too, but probably not till you get over the hump of being so sick.

Of course it's good to drink just water. . .but as long as the fluids you are drinking aren't caffeinated, they should still "count". So certainly herbal teas and even juice and decaf soda. Some ladies around here are liking the Vitamin water, there is one with B vits. I like sparking apple juice or just water with a ton of lemon squeezed into it.