Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
ursaminor
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
not CD related - how to get turpentine out of clothes.

My DH was wearing my favorite shirt yesterday while painting a room. Unbeknownst to me, a few splashes of paint landed on my shirt and he applied turpentine to the paint spots and left it in the utility sink It smells I dont know what to do. I am going to rinse it and soak it in baking soda, any other ideas? I am going to seriously cry if I cant get the smell out Any advice would help.

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: not CD related - how to get turpentine out of clothes.

Turpentine is volatile and should just evaporate out. It should have prevented the paint from setting and drying out. You could probably just wash the shirt w/some rags or a small load.

boysniris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
ursaminor
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
Turpentine is volatile and should just evaporate out. It should have prevented the paint from setting and drying out. You could probably just wash the shirt w/some rags or a small load.
I did a washed with my textile detergent, now it is soaking in baking soda. When it spins out I'll set it in the sun I just dont get it. I bought Bac-out with him at the food coop the other day and there is that orange scrub cleaner in the utility sink...why turpentine. If I can save this thing, he is never allowed to borrow my clothes again!!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh you already washed the shirt and it's still stinky? Hmmmm...if your soak doesn't work maybe you could pour a little rubbing alcohol on the spots and wash again.

boysniris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
ursaminor
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
Oh you already washed the shirt and it's still stinky? Hmmmm...if your soak doesn't work maybe you could pour a little rubbing alcohol on the spots and wash again.
I thought the soak was working, but the smell is definitely still there. The paint is pretty much gone. Another thing, it had a graphic design on it (why put paint thinner on a shirt with a screen print design is beyond me), and the graphic seems to be a little flaky. It is from the 1980's so the screen print is naturally starting to wear, but I can only wonder if it will perminantly going to shed from now on. DS and I are on anti-biotics after being exposed to strep over the weekend. I am feeling super crabby and DS is super clingy, so I am like 10X as annoyed as I normally would be. Thanks for listening to my rant