Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2006, 09:34 PM   #11
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

Re: Those who are against letting DC CIO

While there is so truth to the theory that crying is the only exercise that young babies get, I don't buy into the CIO thing. They are babies.....HELLO!!!!! They don't understand. That's their only way of letting us know that something is wrong. I let my son get his "cry exercise" while I was holding him (believe me that happened more times than I like to admit).
I still run to my 3yo when he's crying. If he's crying, there has to be something wrong and I'm not going to let either of them CIO.
So, to answer your question not long!!!!!

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2006, 09:39 PM   #12
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't let DD CIO but the one thing I do do is if DS needs something (a drink, a hug or needs to be rocked) I will tend to him first. He is having a really hard time adjusting to DD being around. So I have to make sure he knows that he is still loved and all his needs are being meet. But in everyother situation I never let DD cry. Also like other mamas said she is basically attached to me all day!! I just can't stand to hear either of them cry (makes me want to cry )
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

yeah see the only time I don't hold him is if I am trying to do something like cook or clean but I'll stop to tend to him and they are like oh let him cry a bit, sorry but I can't like Kim said, they will only be little for so long! Heck I feel GUILTY if I have to let him cry even for a min or so til I get to him kwim? AS IF I am going to let him scream & cry & not get any comfort NOWAY! I am glad to see I am not the only one who feels this way, DH was a lil more like me when he was first born, but now he is slowly changing his mind about it, just like he doesn't think we should co sleep for TOO long, I told him as long as I am nursing we will!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #14
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh yeah, and that's the truth, when they are this young, they don't know any better, to me if I were to let him cry, I think he'd feel abandoned, unloved... kwim? He doesn't know that it's okay if Mommy is not in sight, not this young he doesn't understand and cannot communicate in any other way, why can't they understand and be supportive!?!?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:46 PM   #15
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DH is the same way about co-sleeping. I said fine we will stop co-sleeping but when Lily wakes up you go get her, I'll feed her then you rock her back to sleep. Since then he doesn't say anything
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #16
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

no kidding lol I said if I did not BF it would be different MAYBE lol
Old 06-06-2006, 09:52 PM   #17
Merolu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only time I ever let DS CIO is when I put him to bed at night, I cuddle him and give him his milk, then I lay him down. Sometimes he cries, but I know that he does that when he's tired and if I keep coming in or holding him he'll use it as a way to keep himself awake. i hate it and still check on him every few minutes, but he's worse if I interfere. Besides, he knows how to open the doors now that he's 1 and comes to get me whenever he wants me, so he chooses to cry by himself. DS made the choice to stop co-sleeping himself when he weaned himself and was sleeping badly in our bed. We have it close to the floor for him, and he would get up and go to his older brother's room, climb into his bed and sleep there. I miss nursing and co-sleeping. I have done it with both kids and I will for our third as well. I never had to let my 1st CIO, but this 2nd son of mine is stubborn and chose to.. I can't get over that, he CHOSE it, lol.

Last edited by Merolu; 06-06-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Merolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #18
Parvati
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinsMommy
oh yeah, and that's the truth, when they are this young, they don't know any better, to me if I were to let him cry, I think he'd feel abandoned, unloved... kwim? He doesn't know that it's okay if Mommy is not in sight, not this young he doesn't understand and cannot communicate in any other way, why can't they understand and be supportive!?!?
My mom was and is the same way. My parents came to our home when DS was about 5 days old. Right off the bat she started in about letting him cry. She insisted that it would "spoil" him if I picked him up and held him all the time. It kind of makes me feel sorry for myself as a baby -KWIM?

I chalk it up to my mom feeling threatened when I do things that are drastically different than what she did with me. She takes it as me saying "you did it wrong". Which I am, but not out loud. But it frustrates me that she can't be supportive at all. My Grandma, on the other hand, just smiles and says "of course, that's the right thing to do!". Whether she believes that, or after 25+ grandkids she's learned to smile and shut up, I don't know. But I appreciate it!

I've told my DH that when I'm in doubt about what I should do for DS, I think to myself "what would my mom do?" and then I do the opposite!

If you do what is in your heart, you should never have to doubt that you did the right thing.

Oh! And to answer your question, he only cries as long as it takes me to get to him.

Last edited by Parvati; 06-06-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Parvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #19
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Pretty immediately, unless I can't get to him right that second. I don't like to hear him cry. I've always been a believer that God made a baby's cry annoying for a reason-so you'd pick them up and give them what they need!
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:41 PM   #20
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinsMommy
see I knew I wasn't crazy, I get no support from DH & Mum, they say "you're gonna have to let him fuss a little or you will always be tied down" or Mum says "he needs to develop his lungs or that is why he still has a goopy eye (tear duct not open) cause you don't let him cry" COME ON! I cannot stand to let him cry I am SORRY it breaks my heart, I want him to know Mommy will always be there, I too, go right away, it only takes as long as it takes me to get to him (unless of course in potty or trying to pop in a load of laundry somethin like that lol) and even so I will calm him down then go back to what I was doing, or I get him settled close where he can see me... I wear him when possible too, and he's only 12 weeks old (well on thurs) so it's not like I have a 3 year old attached to my hip kwim?

my dh USED to be the same way-"he's fine-let him cry-its good for him!" WHATEVER! it sure isnt good for ME!!!

ooo i finally got so ticked at dh one day bc i was doing somthing and COULDNT get to the baby and he was crying so dang hard! i let loose on dh and was real curt with him the rest of the day! since then he knows to NOT let him fuss/cry for too long.

normally if he gets fussing one of the kids will come talk/play with him or pick him up. or he's in bouncy type chair near me (like cooking dinner or doing laundry)! sometimes he's also in the sling!

i would say follow what your heart says to do EVEN if someone else dosent like it!
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote