Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: vitamin k and eye "goop" at birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat899 View Post
We refused them both because they were unnecessary.

Seems counterintitutive to do things to newborns that are unnecessary simply because they are on the hospitals' list.
FYI - CNM and CPMS that are independent and home attendants DO offer these. I've had many clients do both with home births. It's not just a hospital thing.

Ultimately its the right of the parent to choose ANY medication or procedure. It should never be "just because" - there should ALWAYS be informed consent!!

Advertisement

Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Vitamin K and eye ointment are generally State requirements, not necessarily "hospital requirements". I'm not very familiar with any other states other than NC and SC - but in both of these states it is a requirement by law to administer eye ointment and vitamin K injection. However, it if course is every parents right to reuse the "law" and a waiver is offered to be signed if you do not want the antibiotic eye ointment or Vitamin K injection. This is for any birth - anywhere - hospital, birth center, or home.

We had planned on refusing both - however Levi had some fairly severe birth trauma - a large cephalohematoma and so we decided on the Vitamin K injection since oral wasn't available. We declined eye goop still.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #13
Jaci
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, the eye goop is done for the greater good. Basically all moms are tested for chlamydia in the early part of their pregnancy (if they had good prenatal care) but the eye goop is administered still to every newborn (unless you decline) because of the chance that mom contracted chlamydia after the test was done. Chlamydia is serious for babies as it can cause blindness, etc.

My real question is, if chlamydia is contracted as the baby travels through the birth canal...why is it administered to babies born via c-section?

So yes, if you are certain about your chlamydia status, or you are planning a c-section or you end up with a c-section, then you can probably be safe declining it.

One thing to note that I didn't see when I scanned the thread is that doing the goop can interfere with breastfeeding so if you do chose to have it administered request it not be done until after baby has nursed very well at least once.

The vitamin K you can wait to decided until after the baby is born. We chose to give it to my second because of the vacuum extraction and possible injured clavicle that he had.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

the eye goop can cause a severe allergic reaction, itching/redness, not being able to see. I have refused it in the past and will again this time. I know I don't have any StDs so I don't see the point in using it and taking that unnecessary risk.

Vitamin K we will be doing the oral dose.

I did find some risks of the shot a while back
http://www.medicinenet.com/vitamin_k...on/article.htm

Last edited by USMCgirl_05; 06-03-2011 at 09:00 PM.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #15
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macyllehub View Post
FYI - CNM and CPMS that are independent and home attendants DO offer these. I've had many clients do both with home births. It's not just a hospital thing.

Ultimately its the right of the parent to choose ANY medication or procedure. It should never be "just because" - there should ALWAYS be informed consent!!
Very true- my birth center is non-hospital affiliated and they are still required by the state to do the eye goop/vitamin K/PKU testing. Of course you can sign a waiver for it and the midwives will just explain the benefits/reasons/risks and let you make your own decision. I didn't have any trouble declining them with my last birth which was in the hospital. the NURSES told me it was no big deal
Old 06-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #16
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wait, you declined the PKU testing? Out of curiosity, why?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #17
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Some people decline PKU testing for religious reasons.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #18
tavosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would just like to add that "technically" in New York the care provider be it a nurse at a hospital or a midwife at a home birth is required by law to administer both Vitamin K AND the eye goop. There is no waiver or informed consent and parents do not have a right to sue if they administer against the parents wishes. I requested a low dose of Vitamin K for my son because NY requires a shot of .5mg - 1mg. Honestly I don't think the nurse wasted half of it; I think she told me, "sure 0.5mg" and then just injected him with the whole dose, but who knows. My hospital is a little crunchier and they asked me if I wanted goop or a shot, but legally they're not really allowed to do that. We did refrain from the eye goop and he didn't seem goopy when he came back from the hearing test which was the only time they took him from me.

http://ffitz.com/nyvic/law/vitamin-k.htm

My mom says its like a roll over law that was probably put into place to protect babies who were immediately given up so that group homes and agencies couldn't deny the babies protection, like with vaccinations. Unfortunately there is no room in the law for parents to make the choices for their own kids and there should be. I really don't like that the state thinks they can tell me what I have to inject into my hour old baby!

Sorry for the rant.... this has been bothering me since my maternity rotation in nursing school.

ISO- SNAPPIS!!!
tavosmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #19
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

Here both can be declined with a waiver. There was a thread similar to this is labor/delivery/postpartum sub-forum, I'll just c&p what I said there to save my fingers some grief. This is why I'm choosing to decline Vit K:

Vitamin K isn't actually natural vitamin K. It's synthetic phytonadione and on the insert it even states "Severe reactions, including fatalities, have occurred during and immediately after intravenous injection of phytonadione even when precautions have been taken to dilute the vitamin and avoid rapid infusion.." And that "adverse reactions include hemolysis, hemolytic anemia, hyperbilirubinemia and jaundice, and allergic reactions include face flushing, gastrointestinal upset, rash, redness, pain or swelling at injection site and itching skin."

Besides the fact that these risks are not worth it to me without reason and it being fat-soluble is worrisome, the chemicals in its makeup are disgustingly awful. I've also known of it causing liver issues (as well as hep b doing this when administered early on) due to the lack of proper liver function in newborns when first born, up until I believe 6 days after birth.

Death as a severe reaction doesn't sit well with me, and isn't something I'm willing to risk "just because," especially when there are things I can personally do to up his vitamin k naturally. If something were to suggest that there may be bleeding issues, that would be an entirely different situation.

The make up of it, risks, and being fat-soluable pretty much sold me against the shot all together. I've heard good things about the drops, and honestly wish they would make them an option at all places that have the shot as well. It baffles me as to why they aren't already

That being said, Vit K is used for clotting. Babies naturally peak their clotting capabilities at around 8 days normally. They also receive natural vitamin k from breast milk, and you can eat vitamin k enriched foods for the time before birth, and during breastfeeding to boost it naturally. Unless my son shows signs of bruising, I have an extremely fast birth, etc. or something that is equally as concerning blood-wise, I won't be doing it. We're not circumcising, so that's not an issue for us. And if we were, we would wait until at least 8 days - 2 weeks after birth to do so.

FDA released information: http://www.drugs.com/pro/vitamin-k1.html

Risks from the mercola website: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...you-about.aspx

This page has a very anti-vit k slant to it, but if you ignore that and look up the sources it cites, you can find a lot of good studies and information: http://www.proliberty.com/observer/19990710.htm

And here's one on the drops and follow up doses/effects/advantages: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/418329_5

It can save lives, and things that are unexpected do happen, so even after forming an opinion and making a decision be sure you've been informed on both sides in case a situation arises that might warrant its use. There are rare diseases that it can help control in regards to bleeding. So make sure you weigh your choices well.

I would suggest looking into the drops, as opposed to the shot, if the possible side-effects/complications of the shot bother you, but you don't want to not give your child anything at all. But as I said, their natural clotting (with or without your help of ingesting/breast feeding) kicks in rather quickly.

On the eye drops: We were told in numerous classes by numerous nurses/doctors/midwives that they are not just for STDs, but for various forms of bacteria in the mama's body that could cause an infection. We're still declining it, however other than varying reactions such as not latching properly, irritation, etc. I haven't really heard of anything that would be considered life threatening or a huge issue health-wise.

HTH!

Last edited by Hillargh; 06-04-2011 at 01:23 AM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #20
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieW View Post
Wait, you declined the PKU testing? Out of curiosity, why?
Oh sorry- we do the PKU testing just not the eye drops and injections!