Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #61
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: vitamin k and eye "goop" at birth

I talked to my OB today about this and she said they're all 100% optional, she doesn't recommend that people deny them, but there is no law in CA stating it has to be done. I was glad to know that. The birth itself and whether or not it's a boy will depend on the Vitamin K and I will refuse the eye goo and Hep B vax, which I know isn't part of this convo but routine for newborns now.

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #62
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
There is a risk to everything. Vit K. and eye goop are not exceptions. The way I see it for my family is that we try to have as little intervention in life from pregnancy to old age as possible. If tests show that my children do not need eye goop then why give it to them? That's what I don't get. Why would you give your children stuff they don't need? I don't take Tylenol on a regular basis on the off chance I might get a headache or fever later. Same thing with Vit K. If my son's aren't getting circumcised and have no trauma/buises/scratches, then why bother giving them something they don't need? I don't see this as a NCB issue. I see this as an informed choice issue. I have plenty of clients who are far from NCB yet still decline Vit. K and eye goop.

Vit K

http://www.medicinenet.com/vitamin_k...on/article.htm

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/409632_7

Erythromycin

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000662/

http://www.drugs.com/erythromycin.html

http://www.medicinenet.com/erythromycin/article.htm
Great info on the Vit K, but the Erythromycin links were all regarding taking it orally, nothing had anything to do with the eye ointment. THIS is a link talking about the ointment but there wasn't a whole lot out there about it that differed from this info because almost everything else talked about a shortage in 2009.

The problem I see with it is that it disturbs the baby's vision right after birth which is a critical time for bonding and breastfeeding. Baby's eyes may burn or itch and they're not able to tell you. It could cause irritation and you don't know if your baby has a sensitivity to it or not. I've given these as drops to my kids for pink eye and lemme tell ya... they weren't happy about it at all.

Last edited by TwinKristi; 06-07-2011 at 03:27 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #63
niadara
Registered Users
seller

As far as I have heard only NY mandates it by law to actually being administered. All other states mandate for the provider to offer it, but parents can decline. Check out the local forums for your state at the mothering.com board - they know the laws exactly.
niadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #64
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofjess View Post
Here's the deal - there have been zero studies done showing either of these things are harmful to mom or baby, so why not just have them done?
I too once was deep into ncb and questioned these things but now see that is silly. If there is no harm but possible benefits, why not? Both of my kids had these things after my c-sections and they are no worse for it. We bonded right away as well.
I don't where you got your information but even the manufacturer of Vit K injections lists MANY recorded adverse reactions and side effects; including immediate death. You can see on pages 2 and 3 where I posted this, and references. Nothing comes without risks.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #65
EmilyAnn86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know of at least one hospital that calls CPS on any mom who refuses the eye goop for her newborn. I am so glad my boys were born at home and I didn't have to deal with stuff like that.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #66
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyAnn86 View Post
I know of at least one hospital that calls CPS on any mom who refuses the eye goop for her newborn. I am so glad my boys were born at home and I didn't have to deal with stuff like that.
Wow! That is a bit extreme for a refusal of antibiotics! I personally got both for my dd. She had a traumatic delivery (2.5 hours of pushing, massive hematoma that left a lump on her periosteum that is still there after 8 months), so the vit. K was something I wasn't going to risk. Erythromycin reactions are rare and relatively minor. I am pretty sure I had no infections at the time of her birth, but if I did and I refused the antibiotic I would never have forgiven myself. You can ask to nurse first, before the eye drops are given, if the concern is blurred vision. If you have a family history of severe antibiotic allergies that might also be something to consider.

There is a chance that your child will have a life-threatening reaction to some of these things (like vit K), but there is also a chance that they will have an allergic reaction to anything else! You have to weigh the costs and benefits and decide which is best for your situation.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #67
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my Ob said I can decline anything I choose, I just have to sign a waiver... she didn't try to convince me one way or the other. I'm glad to have docs that are willing to talk about these things and not be bullies!

That's just crazy about calling CPS!

If I have reason after delivery to give either, I will, but I'm leaning towards leaving well enough alone right now.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #68
niadara
Registered Users
seller

Yeah the CPS thing is crazy, and as long as you are not in New York state, CPS has no case against you for declining. Those hospitals/nures have no grounds to call CPS so they just come and talk and go back and leave the parents alone. some people really are on a power trip!
niadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #69
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The CPS thing is so overboard and it's really hard to believe someone would call CPS on a parent declining medical procedures, which ALL parents should be allowed to do and I'm a little appalled in some places they don't allow that. We expect parents to make medical decisions for their children until they are the age of 18 (or longer for disabled kids) yet not at birth? A little contradictory if you ask me.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #70
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I refused both for ds2 born at home but then had some issues and ended up with Vitamin K. When I gave birth to ds3 at the hospital the pediatrician on duty was on her first day on the job and she had just moved from NY.

I refused both and I got her completely flustered and she was stammering about minimum level of care and how could I be refusing etc.etc. I told her to speak to my pediatrician. She implied that she could call CPS. I told her I would not get anything done on her advisement. She basically said all the wrong things in the five minutes she spent with me. My ped. did call and he was chuckling like, "What did you do?" because apparently the other Dr. was in a state. I trust my ped. so after a nice convo. I opted to do the Vit K -not on his insistence but based on some info. he had to offer.

I will look over info provided here and revisit the Vit K issue.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote