Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #71
mrsmusic
Registered Users
seller

Re: vitamin k and eye "goop" at birth

I refused the eye goop for DS1, but not the vitamin k (to be safe because he was early) but refused both for DS2.

Advertisement

Bri helpmeet to Chaise (9/10/11). Attachment parenting, no circ, no longer vaccinating, pro-life, Christian, homeschooling preemie mama to K (27wks on 2/17/07) AIH Type 1 with PSC overlap and M (33wks on 3/4/09) Gluten Freeand A (37 weeks! on 2/3/11)
Follow my blog: Music Notes
mrsmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #72
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyAnn86 View Post
I know of at least one hospital that calls CPS on any mom who refuses the eye goop for her newborn. I am so glad my boys were born at home and I didn't have to deal with stuff like that.
On a related note, I planned on refusing the eye ointment with DD, and had let my mom know about it before DD was born. Word got to my dad, and next time I talked to my mom, she told me that if there was something wrong with DD's eyes and we went forth with our plan to decline the ointment, that my dad was going to sue my doctor.

So you can understand why I kept DS's planned homebirth a secret until WAY late in the pregnancy, when I was asked a direct question about it (by mom, again). My dad STILL hasn't mentioned it, and DS is 20 months old now, lol.

Anyway. /hijack
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #73
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I have a friend who got the cops called on her WHILE she was IN LABOR At the hospital of course. Her first baby had a horrible allergic reaction to the eye ointment and she didn't want to go through that again, but apparently parents in this country are too stupid and uneducated to make decisions so we should leave it all up to the medical personnel.
the police didn't do anything btw, and they were pretty freakin embarrassed that they had to be there at all!
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #74
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 View Post
I have a friend who got the cops called on her WHILE she was IN LABOR At the hospital of course. Her first baby had a horrible allergic reaction to the eye ointment and she didn't want to go through that again, but apparently parents in this country are too stupid and uneducated to make decisions so we should leave it all up to the medical personnel.
the police didn't do anything btw, and they were pretty freakin embarrassed that they had to be there at all!
I saw my friend get the vitamin k and they eye goop and she didn't ask a single question or wonder what it was for. They said we are going to do this now and she went along with it. I think that medical personnel are just surprised when people actually refuse because most seem to just do what they are told.

I can't believe they called the cops.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #75
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Yes they were confused and apparently offended...it was a very un-NCB friendly hospital too. the doctor gave her stitches without numbing her after the birth too, because "she wanted to feel it so she should feel it".
It was horrible, I was so outraged for her!
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #76
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WOW, these stories are horrifying I definitely have a lot to be thankful for where I am. Sorry you ladies and/or your friends have had such bad experiences!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #77
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla

I saw my friend get the vitamin k and they eye goop and she didn't ask a single question or wonder what it was for. They said we are going to do this now and she went along with it. I think that medical personnel are just surprised when people actually refuse because most seem to just do what they are told.
Honestly, this is the old school way of doing things. When the transition of mainly homebirths switches to the safety of a hospital people trusted their dr and it was spread all over that dr's save lives and know better than anyone else, even yourself. Once things became overly medicalized and people were dying because of dr's people started questioning it. They were made to look like crazies. I read a book about Henrietta Lacks who died from what's now known as HPV. They were doing medical experiments in the 50's and letting people die just to see the progression of an illness. It was sick. When that info started coming out, more people realized whoa, we need to start watching out for ourselves here. Then in the 70's-80's homebirth by choice started making a comeback. But with all the new technology and advances in medicine in the 80's-90's-00's people switched back to an overly medicalized way of thinking and trust. Older people still trust dr's more than themselves and will take 5 Rx's even if they don't know why because their dr said so. Until you have a bad experience, most people don't really know any better than to trust your dr.
"You need to be induced on Monday" -ok! "your baby is getting their vaccines today" -ok! "an epidural will help you relax and progress faster" -ok!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #78
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

My midwife is an amazing source of information, so I asked her what her thoughts were. She absolutely does not like the Vit K injection. She said that, even though there is a lack of studies showing the risks of the injection, statistically, the risks are clear and very real. She was willing to do it if it's what we wanted, but she said if we really wanted Vit K, we should consider the oral drops from a natural source, which is what we ultimately did (she ordered for us). As for the eye goop, it's just not necessary for our babies, so we decline it. I completely trust my DH, I absolutely do, but with my last pregnancy, I had him read the fact sheet on the eye ointment and what it is intended to prevent and asked him if there was any reason at all that we shouldn't be declining it. I think I said something like, "Honey, I love you and I trust you, but if there is any way that I could have been exposed to an STD, I need you to tell me now because it could put our child's eyesight at risk." He looked at me like I had lost a few marbles, but then I think he realized that he was dealing with a hormonal pregnant woman and he calmly said, "No, there is no way you could have been exposed to an STD." Looking back on it, it was pretty funny!
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #79
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Honestly, this is the old school way of doing things. When the transition of mainly homebirths switches to the safety of a hospital people trusted their dr and it was spread all over that dr's save lives and know better than anyone else, even yourself. Once things became overly medicalized and people were dying because of dr's people started questioning it. They were made to look like crazies. I read a book about Henrietta Lacks who died from what's now known as HPV. They were doing medical experiments in the 50's and letting people die just to see the progression of an illness. It was sick. When that info started coming out, more people realized whoa, we need to start watching out for ourselves here. Then in the 70's-80's homebirth by choice started making a comeback. But with all the new technology and advances in medicine in the 80's-90's-00's people switched back to an overly medicalized way of thinking and trust. Older people still trust dr's more than themselves and will take 5 Rx's even if they don't know why because their dr said so. Until you have a bad experience, most people don't really know any better than to trust your dr.
"You need to be induced on Monday" -ok! "your baby is getting their vaccines today" -ok! "an epidural will help you relax and progress faster" -ok!
That sounds like an interesting book. What's the title? I'm always looking fro a good read.

I saw a woman speak at a LLL conference who was a pioneer in patient rights, back in the 1970's. She had a child who was dealing with a life threatening illness and they would not let her spend the night even when things turned for the worse and it could have been her child's last night.

I say ask questions about everything. If you have a doctor that will answer patiently then at least you know you have a doctor who has some respect for patients.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #80
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It talks alot about medical stuff in the 50's with the African-American population. It's sad to know these things happened but a great read!