Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
Funnyfarmmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Please Help....Drop of blood in diaper!!!

Please help! This is my first breastfed baby and so i am overly paranoid i guess but this morning and yesterday morning my DS who is 5 weeks old woke up and when i changed his diaper there was a little pink spot on his diaper where his pee comes out.

What could it be??? Its not a lot, not dark or even red. Could it be a milk allergy or possibly bleeding in my nipple i didn't notice that may have passed through? Should i call the doctor?

Thanks mamas so much for any advice!!

Advertisement

Funnyfarmmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
ks20740
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please Help....Drop of blood in diaper!!!

Hi Mama!

Congratulations on your new baby - good times are in store for you First, don't worry just yet! I have 3 children and had this rusty colored stuff w/at least 2 of them (maybe all 3 if my memory would serve me better). It's because of the uric acid - it's VERY common. Here is a link you can start to read about it:

http://online.birthandbabies.com/cla...iaper-my-baby/

Read about it under the diapering your baby. It may be a good start. Now, for the most important thing I can tell you (from experience, of course!)...have confidence in yourself and nursing your baby. It is normal to be paranoid and overly concerned the first time around - but FIGHT IT!! YOU are the best person for this job, Mama!! I FINALLY learned to judge how well my breastfeeding is going by judging 2 things ONLY:
1) The number of wet/dirty diapers my little one goes through
2) Weight gain

I really think that if you focus on these two things, a lot of your worry and concern will subside. Of course, you can never COMPLETELY take the worry out of us...but that's what makes us good mothers ENJOY!!!!! And take care of yourself
ks20740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Funnyfarmmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much mama! I am just trying to figure out if he is not handling milk well. My others who unfortunately had to be on formula all had milk allergies so i didn't know if it had anything to do with that.
I am also noticing when i eat something with dairy in it he spit up is curdled but i will definitely look into the website you sent and will watch it to make sure it doesn't get worse.

His last 2 diapers didn't have any pink spots so we will see but Thanks so much for your support!!
Funnyfarmmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnyfarmmomma
Please help! This is my first breastfed baby and so i am overly paranoid i guess but this morning and yesterday morning my DS who is 5 weeks old woke up and when i changed his diaper there was a little pink spot on his diaper where his pee comes out.

What could it be??? Its not a lot, not dark or even red. Could it be a milk allergy or possibly bleeding in my nipple i didn't notice that may have passed through? Should i call the doctor?

Thanks mamas so much for any advice!!
Love what a pp said - trust your milk and baby and be mindful of any signs that may mean something needs to be adjusted. For us, Ds had a drop of blood streaked mucous in his diaper after I had eaten pizza the night before. Turns out he doesn't do well when I eat gluten or processed dairy (I can eat goat cheese though!). So after a freaked out call to our midwives (me crying) they asked me to check my nipples saying it couldve passed through, think about if I had eaten anything different, and know that babies bottoms can get little fissures or cracks in their still developing rectum if they have to push too hard. So I actually ended up doing an elimination diet and we figured it out.
I know it's scary mama. You just want your baby to be ok. Think slow, and maybe try those options. Good luck. Hth.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Just seeing you said where his pee is. Sorry my reply may not be pertinent!

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Gitrecca
Registered Users

Yup, my son did that for a few changes, usually in the morning when he was a baby. The pedi said it was uric acid and not to worry unless there was a lot of blood. I'd say you're probably doing great!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
nakia
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is he circumcised?