Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #1
pinkprincess818
Registered Users

Starting again with a toddler, what to use?

Hi everyone! I used to be on this site a lot 5ish years ago when I was cloth diapering my now 7 year old. I got rid of all of my stash except for a couple of pocket diapers a few years ago. Now we are in the adoption process. We will be adopting in the next 6 months-a year. I can't imagine not using cloth diapers, but we will be adopting a girl probably around 2. We most likely won't have anymore children. What do you reccomend that won't break the bank, but would work well for a twoish year old for a year or so. I used bum genius and preston's pants pockets with a few of the old bum genius organic aios last time. I am up for tying new things. Thank you for the help while I try to research and decide what to buy when the time gets close.

Advertisement

pinkprincess818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:39 AM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Starting again with a toddler, what to use?

Pockets are good if they work for you. I am an AI2 fan myself, I like the idea of reusing elements. With AI2 you can go cheap and padfold flats or trifold prefolds into a covers (or even on top of a pocket) or you can spend a bit more and get (or make) a system with snap in inserts.

If you want to spend less, getting around 6 covers and 24 flats to padfold would probably work well and would only cost around $100-120, new, if you choose less expensive brands. It's likely, starting with a 2 year old, that you'd only have to make one purchase (assuming what you bought works for the child) since you can buy OS covers known to be larger or size 2 of 2 size systems that will likely last until PL and the flats (or prefolds) you buy would be the only "inserts" you need.

The one exception being for night (eg doublers or other systems), personally I like pockets at night for the stay dry and you may need a couple hemp doublers.

I would also suggest not buying it all before the LO arrives. Say get a dozen flats and 2 or 3 covers and see if you like the system/covers you choose before getting the other set. You could probably "make due" with that amt washing extra or supplementing with sposies.

Another thing to keep in mind, this LO may be used to sposies. She may require stay dry to be happy. She also may reject the bulk. Something to keep in mind.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. DESTASHING HERE!
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
abh5e8
Registered Users

I agree with flats and covers. I just put my almost three year old back into cloth at night, in xl muslin flats and large thirsties covers, both from GMD. No leaks and a trim fit, given all the fold options.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
andunc02
Registered Users

My Mood:

By using sposies at night I was getting by with 12 prefolds and 3 covers by washing every two days with my 19 month old. He's not a heavy wetter so he could get by with 3 hours in the prefold. I only spent about $50 to start with and have recently added some flour stack towels so that I can use cloth at night. I use two fsts during the day together and a prefold with a fst padfolded as a doubler for naps and nightime.
andunc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:03 PM   #5
FosteringInfants
Registered Users

I would think baby would be potty trained pretty soon after you get...possibly already trained! Other counties train sooner than here. Though the move could cause regression.
FosteringInfants is offline   Reply With Quote