Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Adding a flap to inner front of cover to make it "flip style" ??????

I posted this in craft chat, but no responses.....this page sees more traffic so hoping someone here might have a quick answer.....please!!

I have some used to be AIO diapers that I cut out the falling apart insides to.....they are nice little covers, but my daughter really needs a front flap like the Flip covers have.....has anyone ever tried to add a flap to the inside front of a cover to make like a flip?? Or any thoughts on trying it? It seems simple in my head, but not everything works out like I think it should!! Lol!

Here is a picture of the inside. I only want to do the front....this one has a flap that's a bit bigger than some of the others do....but, it's not quite big enough......I'd ignore it or trim it down to the seam.

Thank you for any help!

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Adding a flap to inner front of cover to make it "flip style" ??????

It kinda seems like it already has a flap? can you just detach that and use it?

I've never done it will a PUL diaper but I don't see why you could just add a strip of PUL on the top. Just make sure you make the edges, at least, go down an inch or so into the angled part of the diaper that made a big difference when adding a flap to the fleece covers I've been working on.

Honestly if you can't detatch the white flap/edge safely and use that, I would probably make a strip of PUL that mimics it down to about the first row of 3 rise snaps and sew the edges.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests.[/FONT][/SIZE] Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #3
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
It kinda seems like it already has a flap? can you just detach that and use it?

I've never done it will a PUL diaper but I don't see why you could just add a strip of PUL on the top. Just make sure you make the edges, at least, go down an inch or so into the angled part of the diaper that made a big difference when adding a flap to the fleece covers I've been working on.

Honestly if you can't detatch the white flap/edge safely and use that, I would probably make a strip of PUL that mimics it down to about the first row of 3 rise snaps and sew the edges.
I was in hope you would help!! Yes, I should have said it does have a bit of a flap....that's just not quite enough to work right.....it needs to be a few inches lower.....I think I am going to try it and see....the worst thing to happen is I'll just have to remove it......thanks for the insight!! If you have any pictures of how yours are don't I would love to see!! thank you!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolehedges View Post
I was in hope you would help!! Yes, I should have said it does have a bit of a flap....that's just not quite enough to work right.....it needs to be a few inches lower.....I think I am going to try it and see....the worst thing to happen is I'll just have to remove it......thanks for the insight!! If you have any pictures of how yours are don't I would love to see!! thank you!
I can take some new pictures of the final product. After I got the 7 fleece trainers I wanted to make in size large, they've been a bit tough to pull up so I just made an xlarge to try and see how it does (then get to make 6 more ) Kids just don't stop growing!

If the flap that is there is too short, measure the length of a Flip one and then make sure you sew it down all the way and make sure it goes down passed the straight part (mentioned above) - otherwise it doesn't "lock it in". With the fleece I also had to make the flap length about a half inch shorter but I think that is because they are permanently diaper/undies shaped. Since its a wrap you should be able to just cut it to the size/shape I would imagine.

Another thing I had to do with the fleece is I cut it so it the length wasn't stretchy (the width - short length is stretchy instead). This may not matter with PUL cause it has less stretch in general but when I made the length stretchy the inserts would flop out. I would "test" a flip flap and see if you can tell which way is stretchier and copy it.

Sorry I didn't see your craft post, I do check it but less often because they are so rarely new posts.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests.[/FONT][/SIZE] Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review.

Last edited by Pixi6s; 05-25-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Personally I'd trim the existing flaps down to the seam. Then I'd cut a strip and contour the same as a flip. Then put it right sides together on the outer front of the cover. Sew three sides then trim edges. And flip the pul strip back over to the inside and top stitch. Hope that made sense.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysmama View Post
Personally I'd trim the existing flaps down to the seam. Then I'd cut a strip and contour the same as a flip. Then put it right sides together on the outer front of the cover. Sew three sides then trim edges. And flip the pul strip back over to the inside and top stitch. Hope that made sense.
That would be more professional looking. Good point about cutting the existing flap down, it would likely get in the way.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
stevensmom
Administrator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysmama View Post
Exactly what I was thinking
BabyBoyBlueBoutique
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #8
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Great thinking here! Thank you so much for the points.....I will check the stretch and see how I should place it. I'll start on these soon! Hoping that working with the PUL isn't too hard!
Old 05-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolehedges View Post
Great thinking here! Thank you so much for the points.....I will check the stretch and see how I should place it. I'll start on these soon! Hoping that working with the PUL isn't too hard!
Ug, I dislike sewing PUL, I thought maybe you used it before. Make sure your (ballpoint) needle is sharp. Also if you are having issues with it sticking you can use tissue paper between the PUL and the needle and it helps. It's more needed when sewing the backside of the PUL (like when sewing the right sides together) than when topstitching.

good luck!
Old 06-08-2016, 02:18 AM   #10
ladybuglove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This won't help with the particular diaper but I make cheap pockets into covers. I love flips but love the diapers with elastic in the back to hold in the inserts for squirmy babies. So I have been making my own "perfect" covers. Cut out the middle and add a little elastic in the back flap. Viola!

ladybuglove is offline   Reply With Quote