Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
eco-mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question for moms with more than one kid

So I have recently started babysitting a 5 month old boy. DD is 14 months and I am taking care of her at the same time. We have been TTC but ever since I've started babysitting I feel soo overwhelmed. I guess what I am asking is, how do you deal when both babies are crying at once? Is it really that hard having two young ones? (They'll be around 2 years apart if I get pregnant anytime soon) Also, will it be different when they are both my babies? I just don't want to have another and feel this panicked, not really know what to do type of feeling everyday if that makes sense?

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Question for moms with more than one kid

My kids are 2 years apart and they didn't overwhelm me, they didn't cry together normally, my older one would cry sometimes when the baby would be crying but I'd just play with them and they'd be just fine.
I think things are different when it is your own children than when your babysitting someone else's, it might not be that way for all kids but for me, things were fine even when we threw in #3, he is 2.5 yrs younger than dd.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids are 17 months apart (we got pregnant on DDs 1st birthday ). It is completely different when they are both your kids. When you are caring for someone else's kid you tend to be a little more nervous about letting them cry or fall down or whatever. When it is yours you feel out the situation and know they are ok and that you are ok if they cry for 20 minutes or whatever. There are times when you feel overwhelmed but it's ok you get used to managing your time and their needs. You'll be fine!! Plus you get twice as much love back!!!!
Just2fornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah, it's probably different when they are both your own kids. I remember those early days when both kids would be crying at once (and even now sometimes). You just have to assess the situation and see who needs help the most. Mine have a penchant for both getting hurt at the exact same time. But I remember back when older DD was a jealous mess and I'd have to let the baby fuss for a little while to deal with the older one. It sucked, but it got better.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well I only have one but I babysat dd's cousin for a while. They are three months apart and at the time were 3 and 6 months to 6 and 9. That was rough.

When they're both crying you can only do so much. I just had to take turns trying to keep them happy. So I would hold one, get them calmed down, then I would put them down and get the other one. The first would usually just cry again but I did what I could.

And also if you get pregnant your dd will be 9 months older than she is now. A lot can happen in 9 months.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine are almost exactly 2 years apart (within 2 weeks of 2 years apart) and I won't lie it was hard. It wasn't too bad at first. I was lucky and baby #2 was such a laid back one (unlike my first) so I could nurse him to sleep lay him down and go spend time with #1.

It got a little harder when DS got mobile (at 6months) and then walking (at 9months). It was more than I expected and faster than I expected. I admit it was a really dark time for me last winter. It doesn't help that my husband has been working full time plus going to school full time and I had a lot of only mommy days.

Anyway, its hard but its nice. My 17mo old and my 3 year old now play with eachother. They are close enoguh in age they will always be close. So there are benefits, but there are trials too.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If they are both crying, you check to see which one is bleeding and attend to that one first.

Seriously though, it is different when they are your own kids. I know for me, I am a lot more mellow with my kids because I know them inside and out and can anticipate what they want/need/can do damage to. I won't lie, there are times it is still hard - like when the older wants to do something that the younger one can't, or if you're feeding the baby when the older one wants to play, etc. But if you balance out the quality time with both kids then all the rest of the time is a lot easier-going, in my experience. I adore that my kiddos can play together and keep each other company now.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #8
GrazieGirl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaclaire View Post
My kids are 17 months apart (we got pregnant on DDs 1st birthday ). It is completely different when they are both your kids. When you are caring for someone else's kid you tend to be a little more nervous about letting them cry or fall down or whatever. When it is yours you feel out the situation and know they are ok and that you are ok if they cry for 20 minutes or whatever. There are times when you feel overwhelmed but it's ok you get used to managing your time and their needs. You'll be fine!! Plus you get twice as much love back!!!!
I got pregnant on DS2's birthday! But mine will be almost 21 months apart, I'm confused how yours were 17 months apart? Was your second born early? Sorry if I'm being nosy!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have four and they are 26 months apart between 1st & 2nd, 18 months between the 2nd & 3rd, and 22 months apart between the 3rd & 4th. I've never had a situation that I remember where I had 2 crying at once and couldn't take care of them. With at least 2 years between kids you don't really have to worry about that. Twins, for sure.....but then you just take care of their needs and them as best you can.
As for the love, it isn't something to worry about. Just like with your first, it comes naturally. Your heart grows and grows with each child you have.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried wearing the 5 month old? DS1 and DS2 are 29 months apart, and DS2 and DS3 will be 21 months apart. DS2 spent a lot of time in the wrap when he was a young infant. It soothed him when he was fussy, and allowed me to have both hands free to care for DS1. THere were times when both kids needed me at the same time, and I just had to determine which one needed to be attended to first. It was rare that they both needed me at the exact same time, for equally important reasons.

mama. My nephew and DS1 are 17 months apart, and I babysat him until DS1 was 15 months old. It's definitely different when they're both your kids!