Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
formunkyfrommommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Getting off the bottle, cold turkey style?

ok i am about to make you feel better LOL ds turned 3 last month and still has bottles LOL *hide* and the reason we havent tried to take them away is because it is a total comfort thing and i always said if i was bfing i would let him bf until he wanted to stop, i see no reason to change that just because we had to bottle feed for medical reasons.....yes it may be a huge cop-out because i dont want to deal with days of screaming angry toddler, but i just dont see it as being an issue big enough to cause major meltdowns in my child

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely wait until after the move and you've settled back into a routine. Changing homes AND taking away his comfort item at the same time might resemble World War III.

I like the advice of switching to a sippy during one session and seeing how that goes - I personally would try the morning one first, because comfort things at bedtime are a lot harder to give up.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #13
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't go cold turkey, even if you weren't moving. Kids love routine and a lot of kids don't take well to changes. I think it depends greatly on your child's personality. You could try cold turkey, but if it backfires- it could backfire in a big way. Kind of like when you start potty training too early it can take way longer. My daughter was completely off the bottle by 1. We did not go cold turkey. Started with cup at lunch and moved on from there. The earlier day bottle will be easier to get rid of than nighttime. We were down to only night time by 10 months and didn't stop the night time bottle until close to her 1st birthday. That said she was very accepting of the change and she is really good with most changes- which is amazing because she was a high maintenance and very sensitive baby (she had lots of tummy problems). My 8 month old- not so much. I think we are going to struggle with him. He is the exact opposite of his sis. Very easy going, hardly ever cries and very happy- but he hates any changes. Tried a cup at lunch 2 weeks ago- he was not happy. Waited and tried again yesterday- still not happy. We'll wait a couple more weeks and try again.

Have you been trying to replace one of the bottles with a cup? How does your child react? If the reaction is not too awful maybe go for it in the morning and use a slower approach at night.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #14
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't go cold turkey, even if you weren't moving. Kids love routine and a lot of kids don't take well to changes. I think it depends greatly on your child's personality. You could try cold turkey, but if it backfires- it could backfire in a big way. Kind of like when you start potty training too early it can take way longer. My daughter was completely off the bottle by 1. We did not go cold turkey. Started with cup at lunch and moved on from there. The earlier day bottle will be easier to get rid of than nighttime. We were down to only night time by 10 months and didn't stop the night time bottle until close to her 1st birthday. That said she was very accepting of the change and she is really good with most changes- which is amazing because she was a high maintenance and very sensitive baby (she had lots of tummy problems). My 8 month old- not so much. I think we are going to struggle with him. He is the exact opposite of his sis. Very easy going, hardly ever cries and very happy- but he hates any changes. Tried a cup at lunch 2 weeks ago- he was not happy. Waited and tried again yesterday- still not happy. We'll wait a couple more weeks and try again.

Have you been trying to replace one of the bottles with a cup? How does your child react? If the reaction is not too awful maybe go for it in the morning and use a slower approach at night.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #15
purpledayz
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by formunkyfrommommy View Post
ok i am about to make you feel better LOL ds turned 3 last month and still has bottles LOL *hide* and the reason we havent tried to take them away is because it is a total comfort thing and i always said if i was bfing i would let him bf until he wanted to stop, i see no reason to change that just because we had to bottle feed for medical reasons.....yes it may be a huge cop-out because i dont want to deal with days of screaming angry toddler, but i just dont see it as being an issue big enough to cause major meltdowns in my child

I kind of feel the same way. DS is 14 months. It took until he was 4 months for him to figure out how to drink at a normal speed! I started giving him sippys from time to time when he was 8 months. Just last month did he figure out there is food in them and even with that realization he can't get very much out of them. I really don't care about running at "milestones" (booster seats, full meals, sippy cups.) full speed. Even if I did boobs are comforting to BF babies, bottles are comforting to FF babies.

We use Dr Brown's bottles so DS actually nurses them the same way a baby would BF, plus he only has two teeth so far so bottle mouth isn't at all an issue. As for messing up straight teeth? If he never used a paci and only used a bottle until 9 months he's going to need braces anyway.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #16
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Can you tell which of my older kids had their bottle until 2 and their binky until 3? NO? Really? Didn't think so !!!!!
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #17
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Around age 2 my oldest just stopped asking for bottles and I stopped giving them. She didn't really NEED them, she was just used to getting one as part of our routine. I waited for her to ask for one and want it but she didn't. She just sorta forgot about them. I think she stopped getting bottles during the day around 15months? She was just down to that one bedtime bottle after that. And again, it's just literally that she forgot, I didn't intentionally wean. I was lucky that she was an easygoing kid that way I think.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #18
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
We took away bottles at about 13 months and replaced them with soft nipple sippy cups for right before bed. I had no issues with any of them.

so I say go for it and if it doesn't work then go get one and start slower.

Good luck.
Not to hijack but can anyone recommend a sippy that had a soft nipple? My 15 month old hates the sippies.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #19
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldnt' do it cold turkey. Bottles are a source of comfort for a toddler. I would gradually start trying to use a sippy more. I wouldnt' push it all that much though.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #20
crunch!910
Registered Users

We had to ditch them cold turkey. I TRIED slowly weaning off, but it just wasn't working. He was waking up more than a few times at night wanting a bottle, he NEEDED it to get back to sleep. He was 14 months and the bottles needed to go!

He cried, he screamed at night for maybe 2-3 days, then he was over it. Rough two nights, but it was pure HEAVEN after that! sleeping through the night!!! And he was soooo less cranky during the day because he was finally able to get restful sleep without constantly waking up.