Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
MommaShauna
Registered Users

New to CDing. Washing HE tips needed!

Hi!
I am new to CDing! So far I have been using Best Bottoms/Smartipants/SoftBums. I did my first load in Tide Free and Clear HE on my sanitary cycle. Diapers came out stinky but stain free. Did my second load (diapers only sat for 24hrs) with BumGenius powder. Used 1/2 tblsp and pre washed, used hot cycle (not sanitary) and extra rinse. Diapers came out still stinky and poo didn't rinse off Best Bottom Shell or SoftBottom insert. That particular insert came out Green! So I washed them again 1 full tblsp BumGenius powder normal cycle hot water and extra rinse. Still a little stinky and now the insert is mustard yellow! I gave up and layed them outside hoping that the sun will do some natural stain/stink removal...

I borrowed these diapers from a friend and I did realize that when my daughter peed in them it seemed like it activated some pretty serious stink.

What am I doing wrong? How can I wash the diapers effectively with a HE unit? I need to buy my own detergent and wonder what is working for you guys. Anyone use Rockin Green?

Thanks!

Advertisement

MommaShauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
HaleysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If they were stinky as soon as they were pees in then they weren't clean to begin with.

You're probably not using enough detergent and since they're already dirty the problem is being compounded.

More in a minute -- baby is awake and screaming
HaleysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: New to CDing. Washing HE tips needed!

Doesn't sound like enough detergent either. I use 1/4 cup of liquid Tide He. Also, microfiber is famous for holding stink, its really hard to get out. Bleach the inserts, not the shells.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
poppan
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like they are holding onto some stink from your friend... I would do a deep clean. Do a hot soak with a scoop of Tide (I prefer powder over liquid) and then run them through a sanitize cycle with some more Tide. Then do 1-2 hot washes without detergent and watch for suds during the rinse cycle, run another wash cycle if you see a lot of suds.

Also in my experience, 1 tbsp of detergent doesn't get anything clean, even after you get them stink-free to start with. I have soft water and use halfway to the 1 line on the Tide powder scoop. With hard water people use at least to the 1 line. With an HE washer you want the diapers entering the wash cycle relatively clean, so it really helps to spray off poo (unless EBF poo) and to select the pre-wash option.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
togetherinthelandofoz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use the washing instructions at Abby's Lane http://www.abbyslane.com/Cloth-101_ep_42-1.html#Q4 and it works great (she has them for front loader/HE and top loader! I have a top loader but when visiting relatives used an HE. I always Tide..Liquid in the HE and powder in the Top loader. I did a Hot quick wash w/out detergent. A hot wash with Tide. And then 2-3 rinses. Since HE machines don't use as much water, they seem to require more rinses. My diapers smelled and looked nice and clean!
togetherinthelandofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

I think most of your problems are because the dipes were not clean to begin with. However, I also think you need more than just another rinse after the original was cycle. I have a FL and do a pre-rinse, full hot cycle with detergent, and full cold cycle without detergent. I think it requires another full cycle to get all the detergent out. And thanks to several of the ladies here, I am now a bleach convert! I use it in each load and have not noticed stinkies! Although I don't think it will harm the dipes, I wouldn't do that to someone else's dipes without letting her know first (even though they are not clean and need SOMETHING!)
Old 06-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
RachelC
Registered Users
seller

I use Ultra Tide HE -- the powder, not the liquid -- in original scent, up to the 1 line. I do a warm rinse with no detergent, then add the detergent and do a hot prewash, hot wash, and two cold rinses.

You might want to bleach them all once to get rid of the residual stink in them first.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
ajjulian
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's a simple and great wash routine:
Cold wash or rinse with vinegar
Hot wash with detergent (you need more detergent)
2 rinses

Also to get your machine to add more water take an old laundry detergent bottle and fill it with water and stick it in while your machine fills, then just remove it
Old 06-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleysMommy View Post
If they were stinky as soon as they were pees in then they weren't clean to begin with.

You're probably not using enough detergent and since they're already dirty the problem is being compounded.

Quote:
More in a minute -- baby is awake and screaming
Boy do I understand that... I remember a time when I didn't understand why my friends with kids had to suddenly end phone conversations or leave unexpectedly... now I get it. lol
Old 06-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
eolds85
Registered Users

I think free and clear detergents are hit or miss in terms of getting the diapers clean - I would try switching detergents.
eolds85 is offline   Reply With Quote