Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How accurate do you think ultrasound is for gender at 18 wks?

So, I went for my big U/S today, I'm 18 weeks. Everything looks great which I am very thankful for... but as far as sex goes, this is what he said 'I don't see a penis, it looks more like labia to me, but I can't be sure, it's not a clear position'. GAH. I don't even get to go back for another one since everything looks good, LOL. My feeling is girl, and I have all girl stuff so I would be totally happy with another girl, but now I don't know if I should be making more girly diapers or not! I am terrified that I will be expecting a girl and it's a boy!

Anybody had this kind of response from the tech, where they said it was probably a girl but not clear, and how did it turn out?? Was it a girl in the end??

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If it's not clear, you really can't go off of it. I wouldn't start working on a stash at this point.

Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How accurate do you think ultrasound is for gender at 18 wks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
If it's not clear, you really can't go off of it. I wouldn't start working on a stash at this point.

Jen=mummy to L and S and A, my birthday thief, and one little baby-not-to-be 14/2/14
I sell patterns for OSFM covers and fitted diapers, please check outhttps://www.etsy.com/au/shop/purenappiness
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I know how you feel. I didn't find our with ds1 until 36 weeks because of his position. I guess I'm glad they didn't guess because it would have driven me bonkers!

Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:38 AM   #5
zavalana
Registered Users

My Mood:

My first child's gender were known since he was 16 weeks and it was very clearly on the screen usg. We expect the first child is girl, but usg results showed that he's boy. The funny thing is until the day of his birth, we still have not found a suitable name, because since I was pregnant 4 weeks we're just preparing a lot of names for baby girls
But in the 2nd pregnancy, we had difficulty finding sex of our baby, because the position of the baby, doctors could not determine the sex of the baby until 34 weeks.
When the 3rd and 4th pregnancy, the doctor was convinced that is a baby girl (again) in 16 weeks. And it's true!
zavalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

At my 20 week u/s the tech told me they thought it was a girl. After I told her that at both 15 and 18 weeks (I am high risk) we were very sure it was a boy. She then said oh it's not in a very good position and the cord is between the legs. I don't know why she would even guess. At 22 and 24 weeks we could once again tell he was 100% boy.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD's ultrasound was at 17 weeks and they were able to see her gender right away, no problem at all.
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #8
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My kids have all been in the perfect position to tell gender so it was obvious. My oldest was done just before 18 weeks and she was very clearly a girl. But like I said the position was very clear.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #9
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

The thing is all babies grow at different rates. Those parts are are so swollen during and just after development, so with one person it is easy to tell at 16 weeks and with the next impossible. Swollen girls can look like boys and smaller/not swollen boys will look like girls. Add an imperfect position to that and it can be very difficult to determine.
Chances are OP if the tech went out on a limb and actually said "girl" it probably is, but I would not buy an all girl stash and paint the room pink yet. I would probably pick up a few cute outfits though and seriously consider girl names before boys Nothing permanent and nothing that can't be returned though KWIM?
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in

Last edited by Pikemommy; 06-09-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #10
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikemommy View Post
The thing is all babies grow at different rates. Those parts are are so swollen during and just after development, so with one person it is easy to tell at 16 weeks and with the next impossible. Swollen girls can look like boys and smaller/not swollen boys will look like girls. Add an imperfect position to that and it can be very difficult to determine.
Chances are OP if the tech went out on a limb and actually said "girl" it probably is, but I would not buy an all girl stash and paint the room pink yet. I would probably pick up a few cute outfits though and seriously consider girl names before boys Nothing permanent and nothing that can't be returned though KWIM?
That's what I'm thinking. I asked my friend who is training to be a US tech and she said it's likely he just didn't want to say in case he is wrong, but usually if they say it is probably one sex, it probably is. He was a bit gruff in manner so he was heard to read!

Oh well, girl is easy, we have two girls already so we have plenty of pink. And if it's a boy, well we just won't buy anything extra. I am probably going to splash out on some girly wool though, and then sell it if it doesn't work out... And I will sell the girly diapers I make if it turns out I can't use them... BOOHOO! It's so unfair! With my first two it was clearly obvious, they pretty much said with no uncertainty it was a girl, and with both of them I had repeats because of placental position which only confirmed girl, now this time it seems like I won't really know for sure until this baby is born. Team green it is I suppose! Darn, we were really hoping that this would cut down half our name selection. DH wanted a boy, but I was secretly hoping for a girl, I have 3 sisters, and my mom is also one of 4 girls... so I have always expected to have all girls. So I will be really happy if that tech is right!