Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
nannabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was in your exact place 10 years ago and our "little girl" turned out to be a boy! I wouldn't trust a guess. I suppose it's a 50/50 chance, but for us it was the wrong 50. Thank goodness my son looks good in pink, although we did give the dresses away !

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
momnixon
Registered Users
seller

Re: How accurate do you think ultrasound is for gender at 18 wks?

Aw Jen, sorry it's so uncertain, I'd be freaking out. I think I'd have to do a $75 "4D" u/s later just to SEE if we could tell more "for certain". Do you have a place like that that you could go to? I mean, I know it's extra expense, but so is making diapers you don't need.
I'm an accidental hippie who loves BFing, CDing, Milkshakes, and Jesus.
momnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

I have only had one so far where they couldn't tell for sure. She had her legs crossed for most of the u/s. The tech did get a glimpse and she told me she didn't get a good enough look to see 3 lines, but she thought if it was a boy she would have seen boy parts if they were there. So they told us they were pretty sure it was a girl. She is definitely a girl. I would say if the cord was in the way, it is more likely to be wrong, if it was feet crossed, they are more likely to be right. Just my opinion though.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
kelseyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did they give you a picture to analyze? If not I would probably hold off on buying everything pink. With my youngest I had my ultrasound at 19 weeks, but she was measuring a week behind. The tech said he was sure it was a girl. That's the picture that is the hardest to read for me, but it's still pretty obviously girl. There were three lines there, even though they were small and harder to see. He was right. She is a girl. So, with them not saying 100% I would be skeptical.
kelseyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had an ultrasound at 17 weeks and it took some time for the tech to tell, but she finally got a good enough shot to say "girl" pretty definitively. She said that usually a girl is harder to tell, because you're looking more for something that isn't there. But, if she sees the "three lines" then it's pretty much guaranteed to be a girl.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #16
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
So, I went for my big U/S today, I'm 18 weeks. Everything looks great which I am very thankful for... but as far as sex goes, this is what he said 'I don't see a penis, it looks more like labia to me, but I can't be sure, it's not a clear position'. GAH. I don't even get to go back for another one since everything looks good, LOL. My feeling is girl, and I have all girl stuff so I would be totally happy with another girl, but now I don't know if I should be making more girly diapers or not! I am terrified that I will be expecting a girl and it's a boy!

Anybody had this kind of response from the tech, where they said it was probably a girl but not clear, and how did it turn out?? Was it a girl in the end??
I went in at 14 weeks and at 22 week, both times were were told that we were definitely having a little girl. Fast forward to week 38 where I had some unexplained spotting and the tech said, "your little boy looks great" what?#% The look on my husband's face was priceless - he really wanted a girl. You can never tell. Good luck!
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
octoberblush
Registered Users
seller
seller

My tech called 'the three lines' a 'hamburger' and we could tell at 16 weeks. The tech said she couldn't 100% confirm it...but she was right!
ISO- the remote. Always the dang remote.
octoberblush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #18
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

did he mention the 3 lines at all? because if he did I'd be pretty confident its a girl. If he said girl because of a lack of "junk" (haha) then I wouldnt be so sure, because the junk could be hiding in a bad position.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #19
CWHmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had u/s at 17 weeks and 21 weeks with ODS and it was very clear he was a boy. With YDS, we didn't want to find out, so we closed our eyes when the tech got close to that area. My u/s was at 24 weeks. She quickly did the measurements and of course I asked if she knew what it was. She said no, she was in that area for just a minute. So I was sure it would be a girl, thinking a boy would be super obvious at that point. She may have been lying or he may have just not shown the goods.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #20
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

My son's sex was very apparent at 13w4d. I think it really depends on their position, the kind of equipment, and the skill of the technician.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote