Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #21
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How accurate do you think ultrasound is for gender at 18 wks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalisa View Post
My son's sex was very apparent at 13w4d. I think it really depends on their position, the kind of equipment, and the skill of the technician.
yep...I'm pretty sure I saw "it" at my 13 week nuchal u/s. I remember coming out and telling dh that "he" was ahead in terms of growth. I didn't get actual confirmation until 20 weeks for both though.

Advertisement

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #22
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeah I just had my nuchal translucency screen y'day and the tech said at this gestation it's only 70% accurate but she was pretty darn sure it was a girl! I go back next month and hopefully will get that confirmed but we're pretty excited after 5 boys. There was never a doubt that the other 5 were boys but I'd never had an u/s at this stage either. Always before 8wks and after 18wks.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #23
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

For my DS due in a few weeks they saw his boy parts clearly at 15 weeks, and he has happily shown them off several times since then. We even got a 3d view at 29 weeks.....no mistaking it at that point!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #24
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think that's what I'm afraid of at my US!

I've always heard that lack of seeing "junk" was not enough to say it's a girl, that the 3 lines should be visible to confirm girl. Otherwise, parts could just be hiding etc.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #25
jellybelly37
formerly J*****e
seller

My Mood:

You guys are killing me! LOL. I have pretty much convince myself it's a girl now, but I'm going to make NB diapers that are mainly GN, and a few cute pink or blue ones, and then sell them if it doesn't work out! I already purchased some girly wool , i just couldn't help myself!
jellybelly37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #26
___Krystal_
Registered Users

My Mood:

If it's not a clear "potty" shot I wouldn't trust it a whole lot. I know someone who was told girl and got all ready for a girl and ended up giving birth to a boy. Oooops.

I did however get an ultrasound done at 13 weeks and the u/s guess a boy right off the bat and it was confirmed again at 20 weeks. He was 99% sure.

I Blog follow my daily life as a SAHM. I Earn Free Amazon GC With Swagbucks
___Krystal_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:15 AM   #27
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my ultrasound around 18 weeks with older two and it was accurate and clear but we had a good shot and the tech was sure even with my dd. He said he was never wrong before. You need a clear shot at the right angle to know for sure. I had a surprise for my last baby. Even the tech didn't know what she was but it would drive me crazy to have it lean one way but you don't know for sure.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:36 AM   #28
GreysBumatomy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ___Krystal_
If it's not a clear "potty" shot I wouldn't trust it a whole lot. I know someone who was told girl and got all ready for a girl and ended up giving birth to a boy. Oooops.
Things like this and that Kohls commercial made me paranoid so I've had them double check every u/s haha.

I think girl is harder to determine early on bc its deduced by lack of seeing the package, but with boy, if you see it you see it.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 AM   #29
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

They really SHOULDN'T say if they're not sure. My mom is a U/S tech and a very good one. She saw DS was a boy at 14 weeks definintely, and she saw that this baby is a girl at around 16 weeks. With how clear U/S technology is right now, they shouldn't make mistakes but less experienced techs might mistake the chord for a penis and vice versa. If you would like something more definite perhaps talk to your Dr about getting another U/S. I know 18 weeks is early for the anatomy scan, and if they didn't get the gender clearly they may have not gotten some of the other parts clearly either-which means you'll have to go back anyway!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:06 AM   #30
Urchin
Registered Users
seller

I totally freaked myself out reading this thread haha.

At 19 weeks, we had our anatomy scan, and little baby would NOT move his/her legs to allow the tech to get a shot. The tech was edging towards a girl, but could not say for sure.

Two days later I had a private scan at a 3d u/s place. Baby was in the same position, and my placenta would not allow a clear 3D shot. After some chocolate and switching to a regular u/s, the tech said she knew what we were having -- a little girl! She said she saw the "3 lines", and everything... but I still don't know if I believe it! Dan's family hasn't produced a girl in 70 years, and the tech said that the umbilical cord was between baby's legs too..but not in the way of seeing the goods...

I'm so sure that this baby will come out being a boy and have to live in a purple nursery.. lol The tech seemed very sure of herself and printed shots showing the "proof" but I'm still a wreck. lol I'm half tempted to pay another $100 for more assurance..but DH would kill me!

I hope you can get another u/s to find out for sure. I know that the fact that we didn't get a super clear shot (IMO) drives me bonkers!

OH! and I just remembered, someone posted this in my DDC on another forum, and I REALLY liked it. It's great about explaining development of the sexual organs
http://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html

Last edited by Urchin; 06-14-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Urchin is offline   Reply With Quote