Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Rare Rabbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Normal at 5 months to be so disgruntled?

From birth baby was so content and happy, she rarely made an unhappy noise. She's nearly five months old, and now she seems to be whining constantly. She's held by mommy, daddy, or grandma for most of the day, but setting her down, even briefly, really, really pisses her off. She doesn't want to be in her swing, on her playmat, in her jumperoo, her crib, or on her tummy for longer than five minutes. If she doesn't have your full attention at all times she whines and "yells" until someone plays with her again. It's exhausting, and I don't know if this is normal for her age, or something is wrong....This is our first baby, so it's all new. Does anyone else experience this? Is there something I can do to help her relax?

Advertisement

Rare Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Normal at 5 months to be so disgruntled?

could it be a tooth coming in? my baby is about 5 1/2 months and he is sort of cranky almost all day, except when he's sleeping

right now his second tooth is coming in, i think that's what it is. but he's also learning to crawl and developing a lot of new "skills" and i think it can make them a little disgruntled during a period of new development.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just whining and not crying? Assuming that it isn't teething or a cold, it sounds like it might just be her personality. DS will lay somewhere contentedly and just play with his feet with a huge smile on his face. Quite different from how our DD acted at that age. DD was pretty much continually frustrated until 18 months. LOL. She wanted to be walked around all the time because she was frustrated that she couldn't get around on her own. DD was frustrated she couldn't roll over and would whine and whine whenever she had tummy time. Eventually she learned to roll over and became frustrated that she couldn't crawl. Once she learned to crawl, she was frustrated that she couldn't walk. Once she learned to walk, she was frustrated that she couldn't climb. She was a determined little girl. It was hard to have her get so upset, but we got through it. And now she can entertain herself quite well and has a wonderful imagination.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what your girl is starting to do, but I would say that the odds are it is just a stage. She is getting older and becoming interested in the world around her. But unfortunately her interest is growing faster than her ability to access all the things she is interested in. Since she can't walk, she is relying on you to bring all those experiences to her. I know it is a trying time, but it will get better. And don't worry about spoiling her by carrying her around so much, because you won't. In another year, she will be able to entertain herself much more.

Last edited by Janine; 06-09-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

This describes my ds perfectly :-)
He gets sooo frustrated if he can't get where he wants to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
Just whining and not crying? Assuming that it isn't teething or a cold, it sounds like it might just be her personality. DS will lay somewhere contentedly and just play with his feet with a huge smile on his face. Quite different from how our DD acted at that age. DD was pretty much continually frustrated until 18 months. LOL. She wanted to be walked around all the time because she was frustrated that she couldn't get around on her own. DD was frustrated she couldn't roll over and would whine and whine whenever she had tummy time. Eventually she learned to roll over and became frustrated that she couldn't crawl. Once she learned to crawl, she was frustrated that she couldn't walk. Once she learned to walk, she was frustrated that she couldn't climb. She was a determined little girl. It was hard to have her get so upset, but we got through it. And now she can entertain herself quite well and has a wonderful imagination.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what your girl is starting to do, but I would say that the odds are it is just a stage. She is getting older and becoming interested in the world around her. But unfortunately her interest is growing faster than her ability to access all the things she is interested in. Since she can't walk, she is relying on you to bring all those experiences to her. I know it is a trying time, but it will get better. And don't worry about spoiling her by carrying her around so much, because you won't. In another year, she will be able to entertain herself much more.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD has been this way since birth and she will be 2 years next week. It's just normal for her. But I would say if she has changed lately, the teething could very well be a cause.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My dd was disgruntled until she learned to crawl and move around by herself. I think she just got frustrated by not being able to do something. Since learning to crawl and now walking, her personality has changed a lot and she's a much happier baby than she was.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
hollybabies
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

wow, sounds like you are describing my daughter, my 3rd child. She is 4 1/2 months and will only be content for 5 minutes. We have to change her scenery every 5 minutes. I am really NOT exaggerating. I don't know what it is. We do a swing, floor time, jumper time, holding time, and keep rotating. Maybe she just gets bored. I don't know....
My DH and I have this joke, that whenever we can't find out why our kids are cranky, we say, "oh, they're teething...." so what do we say about our 8 year old who is cranky????? "oh, they're overtired...." our two standby answers
Old 06-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Rare Rabbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you everyone for your awesome help with this!
I don't think the babe is teething, I can't feel anything on the gum line (but of course I don't really know what it would feel like, this is our first and only baby)
All your suggestions definitely make sense, she's such a bright little thing I think she's just easily bored and restless.
On a happy note, my five-year-old niece is visiting a lot lately, and that seems to keep her content for long periods of time!
Rare Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
S4r4h
Registered Users

My DD is the same age and disgruntled is a great word for her sometimes. Happy baby all around but frustrated that she can't get around like she wants. The bouncer toy is the only thing (other than people playing with her) that keeps her happy for more than a few minutes. She looooves jumping.

Poor LO's, it must be so irritating to be stuck in one place all the time.
Sarah Beth - Mama to Charlie (Charlotte) born 1/12/11 and wife to Jeffery, computer geek extraordinaire. Lover of succulent gardens, live plant aquariums, reading, nature, sunshine, emergency veterinary medicine, and Homer, the best dog in the world.
S4r4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
tabbytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
5 1/2 months here and my daughter is the same way lol. We call her our little drama queen. (colic/silent reflux had her screaming the entire first 3 mo) I think it's a mix of teething and she wants to get up and go but hasn't quite worked it out. That and she's a tiny bit spoiled lol.
tabbytoes is offline   Reply With Quote