Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
kawaii vs. sunbaby vs. alvababy (pictures)

since there seems to be a lot of questions about the cheaper diaper options, I thought it would be helpful to post side by side pictures.

All these diapers are almost new, used just a few times each.
On the left (blue) is Kawaii. Middle (brown) is Sunbaby. Right (cow minky) is alvababy

The first picture shows the sizes on the smallest setting. You can see that sunbaby is the smallest and alvababy is considerably the largest.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D550/ry%3D400/

However Kawaii and Alvababy both have the ability to make an even smaller waist with extra snaps.

crotch width comparison

waist (on small setting) comparison

largest settings, keeping all snaps snapped. you could perhaps go even larger if you only snap the middle snaps. Again, you see that sunbaby is the smallest and alvababy is the largest.

waist comparison on largest setting

and compared to a BG 4.0
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D550/ry%3D400/

My impressions. I've been using these diapers on my big 3 month old for several weeks.

All 3 snaps are good quality. I see no difference between these snaps and my BG.

Fit is relative depending on your baby, but I get a decent fit from all 3 of these. None leak for daytime use.

Kawaii's microfiber inserts are far nicer and plusher than the others. I didn't think of taking pictures of the inserts, so if anyone wants I'll post those too. However, I actually like the sunbaby and alvababy inserts for while my son is on the smallest rise- since they are shorter they provide a trimmer fit. They all absorb well.

I dislike the front tabs on the subaby. they tend to curl when I have them on my LO.

I dislike the pocket opening in the alvababy. It's small and elasticized so it's harder to stuff.

everything else about these diapers I love! When it comes time to order more, I will probably choose the sunbabies- sunpei has great communication and will sell you any combination of things that you would like- and at about $6ppd per diaper for small quantities. I'd get more alvababy if it weren't for that darn back elastic. I like the kawaii- but I LOVE Kawaii mom label- so if I order more Kawaii it will probably be those.

Hope this helps someone- I am by no means an expert, but if you have questions let me know!

Advertisement

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
ebandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Sunny_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: kawaii vs. sunbaby vs. alvababy (pictures)

Hey mama

Great review, can you tell me the difference between the Kawaii blue and mom lables as it totally baffles me! TY!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Sunny_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

**Ack double post**

Last edited by Sunny_mama; 06-09-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Sunny_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've never tried the blue label, so I'm not sure. All I can tell from the website is that the Mom label has an added tummy panel.

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the review. I have a couple sunbabies in the mail. The only bad thing I keep hearing about them is that they run small, but my two oldest dd both pl'd before needing large diapers so I don't think it will be an issue for us. Did you try the sunbaby in the newborn stage? I have 8+ lb babies. Id love if the sb could be a true os dipe for us.

Sent from my Droid using DS Forum-crazy typos not my fault!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
DMCinderella
Registered Users
seller
seller

Great comparisons, momma.
Sunny_mama-check out this link...it will show you the difference between the mom and blue label from jackbenatural.com http://www.youtube.com/user/slshinas.../1/O5ACh6-P6N8
Old 06-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Sunny_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCinderella View Post
Great comparisons, momma.
Sunny_mama-check out this link...it will show you the difference between the mom and blue label from jackbenatural.com http://www.youtube.com/user/slshinas.../1/O5ACh6-P6N8
TY TY! I was going to order some a while back because we need cheap pockets but I was BEYOND confused at their website lol
Old 06-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
marisolstice
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you! That's a helpful comparison. I've been deliberating for a while and just bought a bamboo Alva to try....I have a big boy so I'm glad I went with that one.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
DMCinderella
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_mama View Post
TY TY! I was going to order some a while back because we need cheap pockets but I was BEYOND confused at their website lol
No problem! I know its a common question and the owners at jackbenatural.com took the time to compare them for us. They are awesome there and have many other videos too (showing the differences between all the kawaii diapers, etc).
Old 06-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the link! I started CD'ing my baby from 3 weeks old, he was 7 lb 15 oz at birth. He was 9 lbs and 22.5 inches when he was 15 days old. At 3 weeks old he fit into the BG 4.0, but he did not fit into the Kawaii well until about 5 weeks old. He still wore them, but only around the house because they were big in the legs. I didn't get the sunbabies until weeks later, and they fit when we go them, but DS was alreayd significantly bigger by then.

I used to have a sunbaby 1.0- here it is on my son at 3 weeks old. It was HUGE in the legs- but the new sunbaby 4.0's seem much better.

Here's a picture of a BG at 3 weeks

Here's a Kawaii at 5 weeks

and all of the following are at 10 weeks
sunbaby:

BG

Rarz (these seem to go really small- I wonder if they would fit a big newborn?)

Kawaii heavy wetter

Kawaii mom label