Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
my friend: starving baby, PPD

Hi- my bff has a 5.5 mo old and cannot keep her milk up. She has tried everything and spent tons of money she didn't have to get her supply up these last six weeks and her baby won't eat at all now. He is at the bottom of his percentile for weight. She is allergic to everything and is terrified of formula thinking that it will encourage allergies to her baby, but she finally tried this really basic non-dairy, non-soy kind last night to give it to him in a bottle with pumped milk and he wouldn't drink that either. She is completely upset- we're both really emotional, but she sounds the worst I have ever heard her (we live 2000mi apart so i just talk to her on the phoneand email).
She feels terribly judged and hopeless.
Please pray for her and if you have struggled with this and feel like emailing with her, or have any ideas, please let me know?

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: my friend: starving baby, PPD

No real help, mama, but lots of
Old 06-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

she sounded a bit better this AM!!! And I think she is going to take the baby to the pediatrician today. thanks!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This may be out there and not a popular suggestion but does she have a friend that can nurse him? He may just not take bottles. My oldest would never take a bottle. This baby has trouble with them too.

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe I can ask her. I live too far away to nurse him. I think the big problem is that she just feels terrible that she can't do it herself, so suggesting it right now might not be helpful. And there's the food allergies part too. That's why she didn't want me to mail my milk. I think it is a good idea though.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
wyatt09
Registered Users

My Mood:

maybe to supplement him and give him some nourishment he might be able to try some of those liquid baby vitamins..not sure if there for his age though..just until she figures out what to do.
wyatt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Would she consider homemade formula? Has she tried different bottle styles?

If she can't BF and doesn't want to do formula of any kind, she needs to accept donated milk. Would she rather have a baby with allergies or a baby who starved to death? Breastfeeding is wonderful but it's most important that the baby gets FOOD - any food!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
pinky74
Registered Users
seller
seller

My nephew was like that and someone suggested adding splenda to the formula to sweeten it like breast milk. slowly lessen the sweetness though. Also, I read on here another mama warmed up the bottles between her breasts so it would be the same temp. it is not an easy transition. GL
Old 06-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
midominga
Registered Users
seller

my milk either wouldn't come at all or wasnt enough... their are formulas for babies with allergies or are you worried that the formula will cause allergies?
I understand she might feel like a failure...i know i did. And others that could do it upset me. But her baby needs something. whether formula or breast. can she try and pump whatever she can get and mix it with formula and add vits for her baby. the baby might just need time to adjust to the bottle how long has the baby been using the bottle. My family has severe allergies(to almost everything) and i only have 1 boy that has 1 of those allergies(cats)
Old 06-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
meg321
Registered Users
seller

What about one of those tube things (I have no idea what they're called) that you put on your breast so its like the baby is nursing, but is really getting milk from a container (it could be breastmilk or formula). I know she has probably already done this, but has she tried to contact a lactation consultant? I know there is one at the hospital where I delivered that I can call and ask a question any time...she has been a lifesaver!
meg321 is offline   Reply With Quote