Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
Registered Users
Question Decaf coffee/soda

My EBF 6 week old gets really fussy everyday from about 4-9pm. I am trying to figure out if something in my diet might be causing this. I already know dairy and beans makes her really fussy, so I have eliminated those from my diet. I do have coffee some mornings. I have tried only drinking decaf, and she is still fussy in the afternoon/evening. I ocassionally have a decaf diet coke as well. Could the coffee and soda be making her fussy even if it is decaf?

*Summer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Registered Users
Hmm I think 6 weeks is like primetime for fussy babies. I had to start swaddling my son at 6 weeks to sort him out. Also, everyones bodies are on a cycle and early evening is a common fussy time. Even my super happy dd was kinda fussy at 6 weeks. I recommend happiest baby on the block. Did wonders for my son who loved to scream his face off around 5/6 every night. And the tighter the swaddle, the better! Oh and I used a thick ribbon to keep him swaddled (under supervision-he didn't even nap alone). Good luck mama!

sorry, I'm bound to have mistakes, I'll just blame it on my iPhone

Sew Love For Love
COgle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Decaf coffee/soda

All my kids had fussy times in the late afternoon/evening. I don't think you can blame it on a drink (if it weren't decaf, maybe). I think kids can just be fussy in the evening. :-)
mom23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

It honestly sounds like a normal 6 week old to me.

However, if you think the soda/coffee could be doing it.. it wouldn't hurt to cut it out of your diet for a few days to see if there is any improvement.

But, as others have said... it sounds normal to me.

God bless!
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

yes my dd is the same way - with our without caffeine! and i need that cup of coffee in the morning!

she's 7 1/2 weeks now and she's been like this since maybe 3 or 4 weeks but i agree with others it does seem to peak around 6 weeks. she's getting a little easier to manage at nights. she seems to wear herself out from crying and won't nurse well so sometimes i can put her in our mei tei carrier and walk around with her until she falls asleep - i give her a paci too bc she LOVES to comfort suck. and she will start off screaming sometimes in the carrier and nod off within 10-15 minutes but this definitely isn't every night. sometimes she's impossible to console other than to nurse her and even then she nurses frantically, falls asleep, etc. - its very trying on my patience as i am the only one who can console her when shes like that. and she's fussy during the day too - just more so at night.

this is my first so i really hope to hear that this gets better as she gets older. it feels like we've hit a stagnant period for the past month where she hasn't really seemed to improve to much - still doesn't nurse very aggressively, falls asleep at almost every nursing session and is very difficult to wake up (just starts comfort sucking), screams (and i mean loud) at night until she falls asleep for the night... ahh, its a mess!

glad we can support each other! its good to know its not just something we're doing thats making them act this way but that it seems to be normal for a lot of babies.
arhodes728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

Sounds like normal 6 week old, but like others have said if you wonder cut it out for a few days and if she is still fussy you can go back to drinking it. Not even regular coffee has ever bothered any of my nurslings ((Thankfully knocking on wood!!!))
Roxanne010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
Registered Users

sounds perfectly normal for a 6 week old! my son is super laid back but even he was fussy around that time. we also read happiest baby on the block and the swaddling reeallyy helped us.
nkmcginty is offline   Reply With Quote