Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #201
AndeeL
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9

I mean, what did our parents use, lol.
Dreft! I just heard a collectIve shriek of dismay through the "CD safe detergent only!" peeps.

Both my gma and my mom used Dreft. My gma handwashed, and I think my mom did too (I don't ask bc cd'ing memories seem to be traumatizing ) and they swear they had no leaks or stinkies.

Advertisement

AndeeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #202
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The No Stink, No Complications Laundry Solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooah_momma View Post
Mama. Have you tried bleaching the flats? Just bleach them once or twice..maybe like a 1/4 - 1/3 cup bleach in your load. They may just need a fresh start? Then if the new Tide Ultra isn't working for you, maybe try a different regular detergent like Gain? Just use the amount called for on the box/bottle for the load size and see if it's getting them clean with that amount. Keep us posted.
Thanks for the

The flats are only two weeks old and I haven't bleached them at all yet. Prior to the flats I was using a splash of bleach in every wash. It was going okay. Not great, but okay, and I had to do it every wash or the ammonia would get out of control and the bleaching process was annoying so I decided to try the flats for stuffing. I haven't bleached at all during the 2 weeks because I wanted to see how things would go. Well... BAD, apparently.

I think it's incredibly odd that switching from 1T in the wash to 2T of detergent is making things so much worse. It's like it's causing buildup, but I've never had trouble with this mix washing out of diapers before.

I just think I'm going to have to figure out a different detergent. SO frustrating. I might try something else before the Tide though. I don't know. I think the dipes are definitely going to need stripped now because I feel like there is definitely some nasty buildup going on.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #203
nosral922
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WOW is all I can say...I wish I had read this before I spent a ton of money on 3 different detergent brands. Really makes me want to go buy some tide tonight because the brand I have finally settled on requires so much time to get non smelly diapers. I almost gave up CD because of it and felt like I was constantly doing this each time I washed them!
nosral922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #204
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosral922 View Post
WOW is all I can say...I wish I had read this before I spent a ton of money on 3 different detergent brands. Really makes me want to go buy some tide tonight because the brand I have finally settled on requires so much time to get non smelly diapers. I almost gave up CD because of it and felt like I was constantly doing this each time I washed them!
These are the types of stories that make me soooo sad! So sorry hun.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #205
DaisyDiaper728
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooah_momma View Post
That is crazy what is going on with your diapers I'm so sorry! I totally understand the frustration. Before you give up, if you decide you want to give it one last chance, try first "stripping" your washing machine -- don't use detergent to do this. Pour some vinegar in there -- maybe like a cup full or more -- and run a wash. I do this once in a while to my washing machine. Vinegar is amazing. Then, put the problem diapers in there with nothing -- no dawn or anything. You've already tried that. Do like 3-5 full wash cycles with extra rinses in a row with no detergent and no dawn. Don't put anything else in there they may just need to be rinsed and not have anything else added to them. If that all doesn't work, I am SO sorry. Sell those suckers lol. I've started using flats with hemp inserts at night and a wool cover and DD (who leaks out of disposables and everything else) wakes up dry as a bone. Maybe that would work if you're willing to try something else?
Well, they are still repelling, but I fixed them! LOL! I am just using the pockets like covers/AI2's with a tri-folded pf inside. Works great! My older daughter doesn't pee much at night anymore, she mostly holds it and gets up and goes in the potty (she's 25 months today and spent the day in regular panties with no accidents ). My newborn has suddenly started sleeping more at night and nursing less so she's not quite such a heavy wetter, either. (Although as I'm typing this I realize that I put her to bed in a diaper she'd already been in for an hour and a half! Oh, well. ).
If I could do it all over I'd just stick to pfs, flats, and covers. I've tried wool and I love it but it didn't work so great for us (??) and I don't have time for the maintenance (I like the pretty stuff ). I love Nikky cotton covers, though. They are all I use on my NB during the day.
I will try what you suggested, though. I do clean out my machine occasionally with vinegar but hadn't in a while, it's a bit crazy here atm.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #206
Mama2GBGB08
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I <3 this thread. I <3 Tide. Tide <3's my dipes. Bleach is good too. I'm a bleacher.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #207
reneeholiday
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this is reassuring for a new-again CDing mama-to-be. thanks!
reneeholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #208
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhillcranes View Post
I have been waiting for this thread my whole life.

This is EXACTLY what I do...and have been doing. When I started using cloth I tried EVERYTHING and finally discovered something:

I ALREADY KNOW HOW TO DO LAUNDRY!
LMAO, where's the like button
Old 06-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #209
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller

Lol. I do really like CD specific detergent. I big red heart Washing Greens Washing Powder. It's amazing! But I take Tide packets when I travel because I can wash my clothes plus kid clothes plus well, ANYTHING with it.

Sent from iPhone which is out to get me for some reason that is unbeknownst to me. Via DS Forum.

IDSO: Noro Sekku in Citrus, Lilac, Sand. Please.
jessi4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #210
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never tried Washing Greens.

What makes it amazing?