Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #311
kaleyshae
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The No Stink, No Complications Laundry Solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybaby View Post
I'm sure someone would think I was nuts smelling a pee pee diaper, but I've never been so happy to have them smell like just PEE!!!

I did however notice an ammonia smell coming out of the day old diapers. Is this still normal?
Don't worry, momma, I've smelled my share of pee diapers with a giant smile on my face

Unfortunately, you should be able to let your diapers sit for a couple of days without smelling ammonia, but it sounds like you're on the right track! I don't know if you've posted your wash routine already, but if you're using Tide, the smell will just continue to get lighter and disappear (if you're using enough detergent and washing at least every other day). Good luck!

Advertisement

kaleyshae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #312
Jaybaby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleyshae View Post
Don't worry, momma, I've smelled my share of pee diapers with a giant smile on my face

Unfortunately, you should be able to let your diapers sit for a couple of days without smelling ammonia, but it sounds like you're on the right track! I don't know if you've posted your wash routine already, but if you're using Tide, the smell will just continue to get lighter and disappear (if you're using enough detergent and washing at least every other day). Good luck!
Yes, it is getting better now. I have been adding a cup of vinegar to every load and more detergent than before. So far so good . I've also began washing smaller loads every few days instead of one load a week. Hopefully, one day, I can omit the vinegar and just go back to our old routine and just use more detergent. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #313
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

bump...reminder, rlr is washing soda (if I remember correctly). This can be found in the laundry isle in walmart (the huge box) for Super cheap.

And hooah momma..I got the reply from management at tide. Read the most resent reply on that tide letter thread. They are going to go over it with the team!! I also submitted the idea on the link they provided me!! You should submit one, you are way more knowelagble about the components than I. Ya know, What's you'r tide thing! Ha! I told them, where's our tide?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89

Last edited by sarahannecloud9; 09-15-2011 at 10:10 AM.
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #314
hibiscus869
Registered Users

Does this mean I can use my favorite detergent, Gain again? Do I dare? ;-) But seriously thanks for the info. My older sisters cloth diapered their kids years ago (who are now teens) and never used any special or complicated washing routine. I have always 'fudged' a bit and used more detergent and Borax for stinky diapers and it works great but the manufacturers act like the diapers are made from unicorn hair.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #315
Jessica92111
Registered Users

thanks for this i'm due in a week, and i've been stressing about washing them the wrong way! i just read that you aren't supposed to prep your hemp/bamboo materials with everything else...and after A TON of research i just now came across that. i did wash all of mine together i hope i didn't mess them all up! but thanks for your post. i feel a little better about everything else.
Jessica92111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #316
motchette
Registered Users

Thanks! The amount of information is so overwhelming it's easy to forget common sense too!
motchette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #317
cutiepatutie'smama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First thanks for the very first post. I am new to cd and all the laundry info was way overwhelming and it is nice to know I really don't have to stress it and can just wash like I do my clothes. However, when I first threw my diapers in my front loader I put a the 1 line mark of soap, I noticed after washing there was still a ton of suds. So the next time I put less soap. I still got tons of suds. Now I put just a tiny layer of soap and still get suds so I rinse twice. My worry is that is I use such little amount of soap to avoid suds are they getting clean enough? I use All f&c
cutiepatutie'smama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #318
SugarBooger
Registered Users
Formerly: hooah_momma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepatutie'smama View Post
First thanks for the very first post. I am new to cd and all the laundry info was way overwhelming and it is nice to know I really don't have to stress it and can just wash like I do my clothes. However, when I first threw my diapers in my front loader I put a the 1 line mark of soap, I noticed after washing there was still a ton of suds. So the next time I put less soap. I still got tons of suds. Now I put just a tiny layer of soap and still get suds so I rinse twice. My worry is that is I use such little amount of soap to avoid suds are they getting clean enough? I use All f&c
Do you know if you have soft water and do you have an HE machine? If you aren't seeing mountains of bubbles sticking all over them when you pull them out to put them in the dryer, or bubbles and suds stuck all over them even after you pull them out of the dryer, I personally wouldn't worry about it yet. I would use the smallest amount that gets them clean plus one extra rinse and ignore the bubbles and wait and see if you get buildup first before worrying about adjusting your routine. If they smell clean when you use to the 1 line, but don't smell clean or start to have stink problems over time when you use less than that, stick with the 1 line for now. If you have soft water, you might run into buildup with this routine -- some mamas seem to get built up repelling diapers easily, and some don't -- but in situations like this, you have to decide whether you want to deal with potentially stinky diapers now, or potential buildup later. If you're worried about them building up with detergent so bad that they start repelling and won't absorb properly and you don't want to have to deal with that, you can always use the very small amount of detergent like you were saying, and deal with stink as it arises, with bleach, etc., keeping in mind that you can always increase the amount of detergent if you find you're getting stink all the time. What kind of CDs? Are they mostly natural fibers are are they microfiber inserts? HTH!
SugarBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #319
SugarBooger
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus869 View Post
I have always 'fudged' a bit and used more detergent and Borax for stinky diapers and it works great but the manufacturers act like the diapers are made from unicorn hair.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #320
SugarBooger
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
bump...reminder, rlr is washing soda (if I remember correctly). This can be found in the laundry isle in walmart (the huge box) for Super cheap.

And hooah momma..I got the reply from management at tide. Read the most resent reply on that tide letter thread. They are going to go over it with the team!! I also submitted the idea on the link they provided me!! You should submit one, you are way more knowelagble about the components than I. Ya know, What's you'r tide thing! Ha! I told them, where's our tide?
Awesome mama! I'll check it out!