Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #331
coffeegirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The No Stink, No Complications Laundry Solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_B View Post
I read the first post back in June. I have a few questions, I apologize if they were already answered but with 22 pages and a 3 year old I only got so far lol

So to wash my dipes (I have g diapers and home made microfiber topped w/ fleece or flannel)( after removing PUL liner):: COLD rinse. Then HOT in whatever detergent I want? Even the super cheap Xtra from walmart?and then another HOT rinse and done?

G diaper shells say warm water tho??? Also how do I dry? Trying to prep everything before baby comes. Thank you
Opinions will vary. I don't do cold rinses, ever, on my diapers. The initial rinse I do in warm. Cold water is used to prevent colors from bleeding....cold water sets, hot water makes them bleed. So I kinda suspect that cold water might "set" my stains as well. As I said, opinions will vary and if someone can prove me wrong with science, I will stand corrected.

Also....I remember reading, somwhere, that biological stains (blood, poop, urine, etc.) come out better in water that's roughly the same temp as the matter which caused the stain nitially was. So we're looking at roughly 98-100 degrees (body temp) if that's the case- which is not cold.

Advertisement

coffeegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #332
Prayingmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

O wonderful!!! I'm gonna try this tomorrow!
Prayingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #333
alexis.mattingly
Registered Users

My Mood:
Best.post.ever.

One question: I use the OP's routine, but sometimes it takes 5+ rinses to get down to no suds in my FL. Do I *really* need no suds at the end of every wash? I do dipes twice a week.

Let me know if I should post this ? elsewhere.
alexis.mattingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #334
RachelC
Registered Users
seller

I use a FLer and don't check to make sure the suds are gone. In fact, there are always a few suds left at the end. It's never been a problem for me, and I have never had to strip.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #335
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is my favorite laundry thread!!! No preaching about brands or politics. Just good, common sense advice on how to get cloth diapers CLEAN!!!! The routine in post #1 is what works for the vast majority of CD'ing mamas and if everyone would read it, most laundry issues would be solved.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #336
ChihuahuaMama13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
This thread has been so helpful to me, over the past few months especially. It makes me smile each time I see it pop up again

Sent from my HTC EVO Shift using DS Forum
Old 11-17-2011, 03:10 AM   #337
newwife777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

See, THIS is what makes me wonder about people who WON'T CD due to the poop and pee "issue." What do THEY do with their clothes and baby items that get poop and pee on them from blow-outs? They wash them like normal and wear them again. You don't throw them out right away. That reason DRIVES ME NUTS.

Anyway, your post about doing diapers like normal clothes just reminded me of this. =)
Old 11-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #338
newwife777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, ALSO, I think this goes along the lines of "was your baby's clothes with special detergent." Unless your baby has uber sensitive skin, this is BS. I realize that there are exceptions to every "rule" but come on. Most of the laundry care advice (and other advice, but that's a different thread for a different day) is just BS. It's like people are TRYING to scare new parents.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #339
ChihuahuaMama13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwife777
See, THIS is what makes me wonder about people who WON'T CD due to the poop and pee "issue." What do THEY do with their clothes and baby items that get poop and pee on them from blow-outs? They wash them like normal and wear them again. You don't throw them out right away. That reason DRIVES ME NUTS.

Anyway, your post about doing diapers like normal clothes just reminded me of this. =)
Not to be a smarty pants, but this is how I always felt too. When we moved from our house to this apartment I was confronted by the mom who lives next to us about how gross it is to wash a diaper. I outright asked her what she did with any clothing or bedding that got pee or poop on it and she said it got thrown away. This, coming from a family with no one working, and relying on the county to care for thier family because they admittedly don't "feel like" working (she told me flat our she doesn't have time to work) made me decide to keep my mouth shut about cloth outside of my blog and forums because I just can't handle certain people's logic...

Sent from my HTC EVO Shift using DS Forum

Last edited by ChihuahuaMama13; 11-17-2011 at 03:50 AM.
ChihuahuaMama13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #340
SugarBooger
Registered Users
Formerly: hooah_momma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis.mattingly View Post
Best.post.ever.

One question: I use the OP's routine, but sometimes it takes 5+ rinses to get down to no suds in my FL. Do I *really* need no suds at the end of every wash? I do dipes twice a week.

Let me know if I should post this ? elsewhere.
I say no. I prefer to troubleshoot as problems arise, instead of running myself ragged trying to prevent problems that either a) may not be preventable or b) may never even come up. Diapers take a long time to get build up under normal circumstances, from everything I've read. 100% cotton diapers are the least likely to ever get build up. I don't believe that build up will ruin diapers, so it's easier to just deal with the problem if and when it occurs, rather than break your back trying to prevent it.
SugarBooger is offline   Reply With Quote