Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #401
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The No Stink, No Complications Laundry Solution!

I am so grateful for this post. I have new sandys and they actually recommend normal detergents and discourage cloth diaper detergents. I was suspiscious of this until i read here. Thanks!

One thing i do wanna add - i added bleach to a load of prefolds and it literally shredded several dipes immediately. Several of the remaining dipes have been falling apart bit bybit. I wa soooo upset. So, now i am a bit leery of using bleach.

Advertisement

lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #402
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

Yay! I will be sticking to Tide powder and bleach when needed. Maybe some oxyclean every now and then. I always use extra detergent...even with my clothes. I like them to get clean.

Last edited by momgoddess; 02-16-2012 at 11:44 PM.
momgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #403
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady longs View Post
One thing i do wanna add - i added bleach to a load of prefolds and it literally shredded several dipes immediately. Several of the remaining dipes have been falling apart bit bybit. I wa soooo upset. So, now i am a bit leery of using bleach.
Whoa! How much did you add and did you pour it straight on the diapers, instead of in the water and letting it dilute and fill before throwing the diapers in the wash? I think recommended amount is 1/4 cup. I found a bunch of DSQ prefolds at a thrift store, practically new but I washed them with bleach to kill any unknown ickies. I know I put in more than the recommended 1/4 cup because even after 2 rinses, I can still smell the bleach but there was no fiber damage. That's why I wonder how much or if the bleach touched the fabric directly instead of diluted in water. That is the only time I've seen bleach shred fabric in my experience.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #404
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady longs View Post
I am so grateful for this post. I have new sandys and they actually recommend normal detergents and discourage cloth diaper detergents. I was suspiscious of this until i read here. Thanks!

I was going to ask the same questions as Valerie. How you add bleach matters a lot! I let the washer fill at least 1/4 of the way then I dilute bleach and water in a measuring cup and add it to the water. Then I agitate it a bit, let more water fill and THEN I add the diapers. I haven't had any damage. Remember to do extra rinses after using bleach to get it all out. No need to be afraid of bleach, just use caution.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:15 AM   #405
pinksunflower09
Registered Users

My Mood:

OP, thank you for a big dose of DUH! With all the conflicting info on how to launder cds, it's nice to remember that I know how to do laundry!
pinksunflower09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #406
MyDarlingR
Registered Users
seller

Love that all u ladies have some common sense. I still feel like I get yelled at every time I say I use plain old Tide! I must be an awful Mama for not using Rocking Green ; ) I use a little bleach or oxi and have glistening white diapers & wipes, that smell clean!

Please excuse my typos, my iPhone likes to join the conversation sometimes
MyDarlingR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #407
mckenzie312
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksunflower09
OP, thank you for a big dose of DUH! With all the conflicting info on how to launder cds, it's nice to remember that I know how to do laundry!
This. Thank you - it was so helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
mckenzie312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #408
MilesSmiles
Registered Users
seller

after a year of stinkie microfleece inserts I finally bleached them and used the NORMAL amount of detergent (vs. the amt instructed by the diaper manufactures) and have CLEAN inserts! why did it take me so long?!...feeling stupid...thanks for the cs!
MilesSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #409
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDarlingR View Post
Love that all u ladies have some common sense. I still feel like I get yelled at every time I say I use plain old Tide! I must be an awful Mama for not using Rocking Green ; ) I use a little bleach or oxi and have glistening white diapers & wipes, that smell clean!

Please excuse my typos, my iPhone likes to join the conversation sometimes
I actually whispered that I use Tide when I was at a cloth diaper store. It was a mommy/baby get together and someone was saying they needed to buy more RnG but then said how frustrated they were with their 3 hour wash routine that still didn't get the dipes clean. I said "I'm a bad CD'ing mom, but I use Tide now and I love it!" The mama decided to give it a try and loves it too! She is very green but decided a little bit of Tide and ONE wash is better than a natural detergent and masses of extra water. It still is taboo among newbie cloth users because they're still brain washed just like I used to be. (I kid of course )
Old 02-19-2012, 04:13 AM   #410
demofea01
Registered Users

This is so reassuring! I was so leery of trying to explain to DH what kind of hoops we might have to jump through to get clean diapers and now I'm not going to worry about it at all. Thank you!
demofea01 is offline   Reply With Quote