Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #41
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: The No Stink, No Complications Laundry Solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m&m View Post
For the most part I agree with the OP. But harsh detergents breakdown elastic quicker. Everything in moderation I guess. I use Rng but I use more when I have stink issues and that seems to be working. Sometimes I use dawn just to switch it up a little. (I have a toploader with semi soft water) oh, and I sometimes put a little bleach in too (cottonbabies actually recommended it)
What do you consider harsh.. WIth my first DD we used eaither Tide free powder or dreft powder depending on sale and my mode and the diapers surrived just fine some where in rotation for up to 4 years.. some are now in my second DD stash (niji/nicky cotton wraps bummi wraps ect).. I'm using dropps now which incidently is CD recomended but its more cause she is super sensitive I dont do any complicated rountinue.
RnG ate holes in my diapers and my DD skin sadly..
Ive bleached many times though with no issues eaither.

Advertisement

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #42
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

when I think of harsh, I usually think of clorox bleach or detergent with bleach.
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #43
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
well, I wouldn't necessarily call it "unsafe" but fabric softeners essentially make a diaper useless since it puts a coating on that keeps the fabric from absorbing (which is what you want your diaper to do)
Yes I will agree with this though I will say from bad past experience (way back with my first before I knew better) I was stupidly using downey will all my diaper washing even with pockets and I never had leakings issues.. I CLEARLY saw a diffrence once I quit and the gunk was stripped out the diapers lasted longer didn't feel slimy and super saturated ect but they were still functional and they were not "runined" The only detergent that runined my diapers was RnG

Old 06-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #44
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
when I think of harsh, I usually think of clorox bleach or detergent with bleach.
Bleached for 3 years with my first every single diaper load (shes got rashy if I skipped) I still have most of those diapers today not wear on elastic. I think if I like wet pailed in bleach then yea but nope no damage at all with making it a part of my rountine.. Too harsh with my current LO skin though.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #45
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy View Post
Yes I will agree with this though I will say from bad past experience (way back with my first before I knew better) I was stupidly using downey will all my diaper washing even with pockets and I never had leakings issues.. I CLEARLY saw a diffrence once I quit and the gunk was stripped out the diapers lasted longer didn't feel slimy and super saturated ect but they were still functional and they were not "runined" The only detergent that runined my diapers was RnG

oh yeah, it won't "ruin" them like you said since you can strip. It can be undone with a good stripping. I just know if I were a newbie I would want to know about the effects of fabric softener up front (I knew about it because I worked in the home area of Macy's years ago and learned about how fabric softener affects the absorbancy of towels ---which explained why my mom's towels were soo much softer than mine but didn't absorb as well)
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #46
Brandy1010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's funny that the only detergent that has been ruining diapers is a detergent that is "cloth safe"...
Brandy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #47
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
oh yeah, it won't "ruin" them like you said since you can strip. It can be undone with a good stripping. I just know if I were a newbie I would want to know about the effects of fabric softener up front (I knew about it because I worked in the home area of Macy's years ago and learned about how fabric softener affects the absorbancy of towels ---which explained why my mom's towels were soo much softer than mine but didn't absorb as well)
I was duped by those old downey comercials where they'd show the oh so fluffy towels with FS next to the flatter stash.. I wanted fluffy diapers. Live and learn right?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #48
SugarBooger
Registered Users
Formerly: hooah_momma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I just know if I were a newbie I would want to know about the effects of fabric softener up front
Added a blurb to original post about fabric softener. Thanks!
SugarBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #49
mommaplus4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
With my first cd baby I did all the special laundry stuff and had major stinkies a lot! With baby girl I've been using Tide and no problems so far. She's 9 months. Love your post!
Old 06-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #50
Tish1973
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally agree with the OP. I was terrified to even prep my diapers, let alone start washing the dirty ones, when I first got into CDing. If someone is interested in cloth diapering, the laundry issue alone may scare them off!
Tish1973 is offline   Reply With Quote