Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #51
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The No Stink, No Complications Laundry Solution!

Yay! I totally agree!

I got sucked into all the hype when I first started using cloth diapers.

I finally figured out that regular Tide works best for us, and I don't skimp on the amount. I also toss in a bit of bleach from time to time. I also whip around baking soda, washing soda, white vinegar and whatever else strikes my fancy at any given moment.

And, Rockin Green sucks, IMHO. At least it did for us. Never have my son's diapers looked or smelled so...uh...crappy as when I was using RNG. Hype schmype.

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #52
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchTeacher View Post
Yay! I totally agree!

I got sucked into all the hype when I first started using cloth diapers.

I finally figured out that regular Tide works best for us, and I don't skimp on the amount. I also toss in a bit of bleach from time to time. I also whip around baking soda, washing soda, white vinegar and whatever else strikes my fancy at any given moment.

And, Rockin Green sucks, IMHO. At least it did for us. Never have my son's diapers looked or smelled so...uh...crappy as when I was using RNG. Hype schmype.
Ditto! I tried it, hate it! Wrote to the company so they sent me "new improved" version... and I'm not willing to even try it. They even sent the "funk rock"... not letting that stuff anywhere near my diapers after reading reviews of what it's done to dipes! I decided to use up the bag of RnG on our regular clothes... and I ended up with a yeast infection! NOT sure it's from that, but it really makes me go "hmmmmmmmmm?" since nothing else has changed and I don't have any other "risk" factors and I eat plain yogurt every day as it is.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #53
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

Amen! With DS1 I used All or Purex Free and Clear and I never had an issue with stink or stains. Then I tried RnG and other natural detergents and then I couldn't get rid of the stinkies. Now I use bleach if need be and just make it simple. I wash my towels and wash cloths with regular detergent and somehow they are still absorbent. Imagine that!
cautiously expecting #4 October 2013
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #54
marisolstice
Registered Users
seller
seller

For all the claims I've heard of how "harsh detergents"/bleach/etc. will damage natural fibers, ruin elastic, wear out diapers more quickly, whatever, I have yet to see one shred of evidence. So I just say--Really? How much faster will it wear out? One day? Two months? One year? Where are the studies? And even if it were true, so what? I'll just replace the worn out diaper when it's useless. It's much less hassle, much less time consuming, and probably much less expensive than buying special detergents and washing each load multiple times.

And if there are fragile diapers that can't hold up to normal washing, I won't buy them because there are plenty out there that hold up just fine to Tide, bleach, dryers, and hot water.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #55
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read all the replies, but the only thing I would add is that bleach is your friend. 1/4 cup in a large load every other week or so will not hurt your diapers. It will not fade the prints. It will sanitize and get rid of any ammonia problems you may be having.
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #56
AndeeL
Registered Users

Thank you for this! I'm prepping my new dipes and I was approaching it with much trepidation, then remembered y'all saying it's just *cloth*. I don't get all twitterpated with my clothes, why would I if it's just getting peed on?!
AndeeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #57
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisolstice View Post
For all the claims I've heard of how "harsh detergents"/bleach/etc. will damage natural fibers, ruin elastic, wear out diapers more quickly, whatever, I have yet to see one shred of evidence. So I just say--Really? How much faster will it wear out? One day? Two months? One year? Where are the studies? And even if it were true, so what? I'll just replace the worn out diaper when it's useless. It's much less hassle, much less time consuming, and probably much less expensive than buying special detergents and washing each load multiple times.

And if there are fragile diapers that can't hold up to normal washing, I won't buy them because there are plenty out there that hold up just fine to Tide, bleach, dryers, and hot water.
I have most of the dipes I started with 6 yrs ago. I have used 1/2 cup bleach in every load. Not one ruined dipe. No shot elastic or pul, and no holes. NADA!
Regular detergent as well. I like a simple plan that works! Never did like fads of any sort. And btw I even bleach my hemp and bamboo, yes I do, lol.

If it won't hold up to a propper washing I won't have it. I wanna be able to wash my face with these things they're so clean, in a matter of speaking of course!!

Once again just IMHO!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89

Last edited by sarahannecloud9; 06-15-2011 at 07:05 AM.
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #58
Talia01
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCDerInCO View Post
Where is the "Like" button when you need it!?
Seriously...when I started to cd our son I spent so much $$$$ on 'cd safe' detergent, using the 1-2 tbsp and was scared silly to venture out of that routine in fear of voiding our warrenty....then one day I used more detergent and *gasp* the sanitary cyclemy dipes are super clean!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #59
averitia
Registered Users
seller

Nice to hear, I'll try worrying less :-)
averitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #60
novibean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Where the heck is that "Like" button when you need it?

novibean is offline   Reply With Quote